On the eve of the Tesla Model Y reveal, Ford with a Cryptic Tweet

48 minutes ago, sullynd said:

So was this what the tweet was about?

Doubtful...the timing of the tweet might mean we see the Mach E concept next month at the NYIAS

It would make sense-the Fiesta is going out of production in Mexico in the next 90 days or so (I thought I heard May?) and it will go down for retooling this summer for the Mach E and Maverick-which I'm assuming the Mach E will be in production by next Spring and on sale next Summer? The Maverick would launch late summer of next year. 

The Maverick and Bronco would be both shown off later this year-maybe at the LA Auto Show.

Next Gen F-150 would be at the Detroit Auto show?

The Mach E does seem to be aimed directly at the same target as the Model Y. Performance compact crossover electric. The Model Y's "reveal" more than a year before it's production is how Tesla's business model works. Unveil something way early and then wait for the avalanche of free cash in the form of order reservations (and right now Tesla desperately needs that cash). We'll see if this works for Tesla this time, as it has for past models. An early unveiling of the Mach E prototype might be an effort to disrupt this model.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the picture of the reveal. OMG, it's a hatchback!

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-this-is-it-1833275460

Edited by Gurgeh

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Fall of 2020?????   18 months away?

Did they hire the Bronco marketing team?

As I speculated above, I think it's an effort to disrupt Tesla's business model, which depends on periodic massive inflows of free cash from deposits for vehicles that won't start production for over a year. This time Tesla will be running into real competition, with Jaguar already having out an electric crossover, and with Audi, Volvo, and Ford (among others) hitting the markets with similar offerings around the same time or earlier.

But yeah, Bronco (*shudder*). For Ford such an early reveal is something they have more recently been trying to avoid, for good reasons.

13 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

But yeah, Bronco (*shudder*). For Ford such an early reveal is something they have more recently been trying to avoid, for good reasons.

They've been successful with Escape and Corsair - haven't seen hide nor hair of them yet and job 1 is just a few months away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Doubtful...the timing of the tweet might mean we see the Mach E concept next month at the NYIAS

It would make sense-the Fiesta is going out of production in Mexico in the next 90 days or so (I thought I heard May?) and it will go down for retooling this summer for the Mach E and Maverick-which I'm assuming the Mach E will be in production by next Spring and on sale next Summer? The Maverick would launch late summer of next year. 

The Maverick and Bronco would be both shown off later this year-maybe at the LA Auto Show.

Next Gen F-150 would be at the Detroit Auto show?

Something to keep in mind - next year's Detroit show is in June.

---

There's no way the Y fits 7 adults.

C5F2XeP.jpg

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Something to keep in mind - next year's Detroit show is in June

Yes, that is why I suggested the F-150 might not be shown off till then since its most likely going to be a 2022/3 model? Unless they pull out something at the NYAIS-but the Mach/Model E makes more sense timing wise because it should be on sale in the summer of next year. 

It should be interesting what happens at the Chicago Auto show-if its still treated like a second class show like it has been the past few years

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Yes, that is why I suggested the F-150 might not be shown off till then since its most likely going to be a 2022/3 model? Unless they pull out something at the NYAIS-but the Mach/Model E makes more sense timing wise because it should be on sale in the summer of next year. 

It should be interesting what happens at the Chicago Auto show-if its still treated like a second class show like it has been the past few years

I thought the next gen F150 was a 2021 model?  That means it will show up next year.  It has always been shown off at Detroit, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The schedule gets crowded...

Wow, when was the last time we've heard that about Ford reveals?  That's a great problem to have!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fordmantpw said:

I thought the next gen F150 was a 2021 model?  That means it will show up next year.  It has always been shown off at Detroit, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

Wow, when was the last time we've heard that about Ford reveals?  That's a great problem to have!

They could show it at the Texas State Fair, which starts in late September.  Don't they often show trucks stuff there?

And then save Bronco/Maverick for the Detroit show (LA doesn't seem like a good fit for those models to me).

Another question - will we see a "concept" (Aviator preview-like) Mach E or a full production model?  Because we could also see a "concept/preview" of Mach E soon, and a production model at LA (a show that better fits the "green" image Mach E gives, IMO).

Yeah, no kidding!  About time.  It'll be interesting to see if they're shown at the same show.  My guess is if they did that, they'll probably show one (probably Corsair) before hand on its own, and then the other (Escape) actually AT the show.

Although given how they show things lately, they'll probably show one weeks before, and then show the other AFTER the show starts for some inexplicable reason.

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Escape and Corsair still have to be revealed too.  And it's going to have to be at once of this years' remaining shows.

The schedule gets crowded if you add a Mach E debut to it.

Things are going to start to debut out side of the normal Auto show schedule. Look at Tesla or even when Ford launched the redone Explorer in 2011. They owned the media cycle for the day. Do it during a show and unless you are best in show you are little more than a blurb in the cycle. Even if you crush it and are best in show you still share with those smaller showings. 

15 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Things are going to start to debut out side of the normal Auto show schedule. Look at Tesla or even when Ford launched the redone Explorer in 2011. They owned the media cycle for the day. Do it during a show and unless you are best in show you are little more than a blurb in the cycle. Even if you crush it and are best in show you still share with those smaller showings. 

Ford did a pretty good job of stealing Tesla's spotlight last night. I've seen more articles about Ford's tweet than I have about the Model Y

38 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I can see the Mach E getting its own standalone event since it's such an important and groundbreaking vehicle for Ford. Preferably somewhere on the west coast where that kind of green image will stand out. 

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford did a pretty good job of stealing Tesla's spotlight last night. I've seen more articles about Ford's tweet than I have about the Model Y

Well its not like the Model Y is anything to look at-I'm not  fan of the lifted hatchback look they have with the 3 and Y. 

I think they would be better served with more traditional looking 2 box design. 

Plus at rate Tesla is going, I think the Mach E might be actually on the show room floors before the Y

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

They could show it at the Texas State Fair, which starts in late September.  Don't they often show trucks stuff there?

And then save Bronco/Maverick for the Detroit show (LA doesn't seem like a good fit for those models to me).

Another question - will we see a "concept" (Aviator preview-like) Mach E or a full production model?  Because we could also see a "concept/preview" of Mach E soon, and a production model at LA (a show that better fits the "green" image Mach E gives, IMO).

Yeah, no kidding!  About time.  It'll be interesting to see if they're shown at the same show.  My guess is if they did that, they'll probably show one (probably Corsair) before hand on its own, and then the other (Escape) actually AT the show.

Although given how they show things lately, they'll probably show one weeks before, and then show the other AFTER the show starts for some inexplicable reason.

The TX State Fair is usually the Super Duty, but it was shown early this year (likely to upend GM).

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can see the Mach E getting its own standalone event since it's such an important and groundbreaking vehicle for Ford. Preferably somewhere on the west coast where that kind of green image will stand out. 

That's true, and would make sense.  Would they announce that ahead of time?  Or just surprise here it is!

That's why I said IF it were done at a show, it'd be LA.  But I think I agree with you about it needing to be at its own event.

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well its not like the Model Y is anything to look at-I'm not  fan of the lifted hatchback look they have with the 3 and Y. 

I think they would be better served with more traditional looking 2 box design. 

Plus at rate Tesla is going, I think the Mach E might be actually on the show room floors before the Y

Yeah, I think the Y is somehow more proportional than the 3, but we'll see.

It's certainly not as practical a shape as a more traditional 2-box design, but STYLE!  Guess I can't say much, though, since I considered an X4 had the price been better.

2 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

The TX State Fair is usually the Super Duty, but it was shown early this year (likely to upend GM).

Well, in lieu of a Super Duty, maybe they do show F-150.

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's true, and would make sense.  Would they announce that ahead of time?  Or just surprise here it is!

I was half expecting last night's tweet to be followed up with another teaser image accompanied by a date but obviously that didn't happen.