On the eve of the Tesla Model Y reveal, Ford with a Cryptic Tweet

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I was half expecting last night's tweet to be followed up with another teaser image accompanied by a date but obviously that didn't happen. 

Well.

They could always show a powerpoint with some rocks trees in the background with "coming in 2020" over it.....that worked before, right?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

The Mach E does seem to be aimed directly at the same target as the Model Y. Performance compact crossover electric. The Model Y's "reveal" more than a year before it's production is how Tesla's business model works. Unveil something way early and then wait for the avalanche of free cash in the form of order reservations (and right now Tesla desperately needs that cash). We'll see if this works for Tesla this time, as it has for past models. An early unveiling of the Mach E prototype might be an effort to disrupt this model.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the picture of the reveal. OMG, it's a hatchback!

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-this-is-it-1833275460

I don’t mind the look of the vehicle until it gets to the front fascia, then it is ruined for me. I find the front fascia to be awful. 

As a non-Blue-Oval-bleeding automotive enthusiast, the problem, as I see it, is that Ford is trying to sell the concept of an electric performance vehicle. The only Ford performance vehicle most folks have ever heard of is the Mustang. I do agree that a 4-door compact (performance) crossover is not a Mustang. Ford has a lot of brand development to do on this one, I think. 

1 hour ago, averagengineer said:

Calm down. It's not going to be a mustang and will not use the mustang logo. It will have it's own unique horse logo similar how Mustang has the fast horse and the Bronco has it's own bucking horse.

To add to this, they literally mean inspired. Meaning it will have a general fasback look to it and as we've seen, Mustang style 3 vertical bar taillights 

• Like 1

The Mach E is going to be a show stopper. It is stunning and truly the single greatest design Ford has pumped out in the last 10-20 years. I can’t wait for it to hit the streets. It should use the Mach E name not Mustang Mach E but it’s still TBD from last I heard. Lot of internal debate over it.

The 2021 F-150 goes into production in June 2020, way earlier than the last F-150 launches. It could be revealed at the Texas State Fair or in January at its own event. The 2020 Explorer reveal at Ford Field was a test for a large scale stand-alone reveal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

You've seen it?

Worst kept secret in and around the Glass House and Regent Court. They've managed to keep it a VERY tight lid on it outside of the company somehow. 

I know guys in the IT department that have seen it. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

6 hours ago, averagengineer said:

Calm down. It's not going to be a mustang and will not use the mustang logo. It will have it's own unique horse logo similar how Mustang has the fast horse and the Bronco has it's own bucking horse.

First I've heard of Mach E using unique horse logo. May I ask where you heard of that? I ask because why would Ford chose to use image of Mustang's running horse while Tesla was revealing the Model Y if they were not going to use the Mustang running logo for Mach E? Makes sense to give Mach E a unique horse logo separate from Mustang and Bronco. In addition to those will be the Maverick with its bull logo as well.

Mustang-inspired to me means like what fuzzymoomoo said regarding the fastback styling and Mustang tri-bar taillights. Ford Mach E is good enough for me and Mustang name should not be included which I do not think is the case anyways. I'm excited to see the reveal sometime soon. I do know Ford did say that we would see the next F-150 before the Bronco reveal so the next F-150 going on sale by June 2020 sounds right to me. I suspect sometime this year is when we'll see next gen F-150 reveal in which the June 2020 Detroit Auto Show being the place to reveal the Bronco anyways. So timeline does fit right to me.

15 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Mach E is going to be a show stopper. It is stunning and truly the single greatest design Ford has pumped out in the last 10-20 years. I can’t wait for it to hit the streets. It should use the Mach E name not Mustang Mach E but it’s still TBD from last I heard. Lot of internal debate over it.

The 2021 F-150 goes into production in June 2020, way earlier than the last F-150 launches. It could be revealed at the Texas State Fair or in January at its own event. The 2020 Explorer reveal at Ford Field was a test for a large scale stand-alone reveal.

So it is a possibility it will be Mustang Mach E.  I can't believe they are really considering this, just not needed.  Mach E alone has the Mustang connection needed.  I also think they should change the logo to a unique horse from the Mustang if they just use Mach E.  Hopefully they make the right decision IMHO anyway.

21 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

As a non-Blue-Oval-bleeding automotive enthusiast, the problem, as I see it, is that Ford is trying to sell the concept of an electric performance vehicle. The only Ford performance vehicle most folks have ever heard of is the Mustang. I do agree that a 4-door compact (performance) crossover is not a Mustang. Ford has a lot of brand development to do on this one, I think. 

All the ST products?  Raptor?  The GT?  I think you don't give people enough credit.

19 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

I'd be against calling it Mustang Mach E.  Mustang-inspired design?  Sure!  Pony logo (not Mustang's, but a new variation)?  Sure!  But using the Mustang name?  No.

---

Interesting about F-150, but makes sense with some of the info we've been getting - especially in regards to the hybrid/electric models supposed to be out soon.  I'm guessing it'll be a '09-type redesign, where they kept the same cab but made everything else new.  Unless changing for electric capabilities required changing everything.

14 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

First I've heard of Mach E using unique horse logo. May I ask where you heard of that? I ask because why would Ford chose to use image of Mustang's running horse while Tesla was revealing the Model Y if they were not going to use the Mustang running logo for Mach E? Makes sense to give Mach E a unique horse logo separate from Mustang and Bronco. In addition to those will be the Maverick with its bull logo as well.

Mustang-inspired to me means like what fuzzymoomoo said regarding the fastback styling and Mustang tri-bar taillights. Ford Mach E is good enough for me and Mustang name should not be included which I do not think is the case anyways. I'm excited to see the reveal sometime soon. I do know Ford did say that we would see the next F-150 before the Bronco reveal so the next F-150 going on sale by June 2020 sounds right to me. I suspect sometime this year is when we'll see next gen F-150 reveal in which the June 2020 Detroit Auto Show being the place to reveal the Bronco anyways. So timeline does fit right to me.

They likely haven't finalized the alternate horse logo and don't want to jump the gun (imagine that), so as a way to tie into Mustang and generate buzz, they'll use Mustang's logo for now.

They get easy marketing out of a line of horse-branded models - come see Ford's new stable - Mustang/Mach E/Maverick/Bronco.  HA - that made me just think - don't we kind of have to see King Ranch models of Maverick and Bronco at least?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'm guessing it'll be a '09-type redesign, where they kept the same cab but made everything else new.  Unless changing for electric capabilities required changing everything.

Just to clarify, the '09 F150 did NOT use the same cab.  That's the year it got the extended doors up front and the larger crew cab.  I think they did away with the extra doors on the regular cab trucks that year too.

51 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Those are all great products. I'm talking about general car-buyer perception of Ford models.

Right, but I'd think even "regular" models have a more sporting perception too with all the EcoBoost engines, aside from a few exceptions like EcoSport.

39 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Just to clarify, the '09 F150 did NOT use the same cab.  That's the year it got the extended doors up front and the larger crew cab.  I think they did away with the extra doors on the regular cab trucks that year too.

Sorry, I should've clarified.  I remember the cab stretch.  But otherwise the door sheetmetal, windows, etc. remained the same.  That's what I meant, and that's what I see happening for this redesign - using the same doors/cab structure, with all new front clip, quarter panels, bed, tailgate, etc., and of course changes underneath.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, rmc523 said:

Sorry, I should've clarified.  I remember the cab stretch.  But otherwise the door sheetmetal, windows, etc. remained the same.  That's what I meant, and that's what I see happening for this redesign - using the same doors/cab structure, with all new front clip, quarter panels, bed, tailgate, etc., and of course changes underneath.

It might look similar, but they didn't use the same cab at all in '09. It was completely redesigned to meet the new Federal rollover standards. That's the reason the windows disappeared from the B-pillars on the regular cab trucks.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, rmc523 said:

They get easy marketing out of a line of horse-branded models - come see Ford's new stable - Mustang/Mach E/Maverick/Bronco.

Yeah, but neither Mach E nor Maverick are horse-related. I mean other than the possibility that you'd ride a horse to go round up mavericks...

ETA: OMG, this new editor that came with the site upgrade is truly awful.

16 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

It might look similar, but they didn't use the same cab at all in '09. It was completely redesigned to meet the new Federal rollover standards. That's the reason the windows disappeared from the B-pillars on the regular cab trucks.

Ok, so it was different structurally  - doesn't change the fact that it looked identical (aside from the 6" stretch) and used the same door skins.  That's what I was getting at.