Flat Rock to build BEV

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But I’m sure they’re anticipating more volume with the new vehicles plus they could get overflow from Mexico.

Well that affects a line here in my department, they're losing their third shift too and for whatever it's worth the local union doesn't believe it's coming back any time soon based on what the company is telling them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No it's not. They’re in the process of eliminating 3rd shift....

Ford is limiting production of the Escape SE claiming that they're losing money on the SE's because of all the standard equipment additions. It'll be interesting to see what the initial pricing will be when they introduce the new 2020MY Escape. Traditionally they raise prices at the end of the model year in order to minimize the price increase on the new model. Cutting production and the 3rd shift would make one speculate that they're anticipated lower industry sales and/or a recession and will try to meet their profit objective with higher prices on lower production and sales. Further adventures to follow. 

54 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Came directly from the Ford Zone Manager.

So Ford is saying that it can't make money on a $26K  Escape.?

That only leaves them SEL and Titanium to sell, maybe  2020 model trims become  SEL, ST and Titanium

46 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

That only leaves them SEL and Titanium to sell, maybe  2020 model trims become  SEL, ST and Titanium

The Escape was Ford’s best selling model in 2018 other than the F series. It’s very disappointing to see Ford eliminate a shift just before the new model is introduced. They may as well make the Maverick along side the Escape. Looks like they’ll have the capacity. 

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’m showing $3250 incentives on a $25K Escape SE.  Not hard to believe those are losing money.

22 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I'm not 100% sure what Ford is doing with the Escape with pricing-My wife got a 2017 SE that has nearly everything and more then 2013 Ti model that my parents have. She has a power passenger seat, backup camera and moonroof that the 2013 Ti doesn't have-I think she might have cloth seats, but the Ti only had leather trimmed seats. I think the Ti was 32K (didn't have a sunroof or AWD, since my dad didn't want them) and the SE was $27K. 

Given its roots are in a car that used to sell for $16-17K and the biggest difference between the two is an AWD system, something seriously went wrong there, if they can't make $$$ on something that costs almost 10K more.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m showing $3250 incentives on a $25K Escape SE.  Not hard to believe those are losing money.

Focus SE 2WD Base MSRP: $26,500 but OK, i understand what you're saying with that and it looks like Ford has built a whole lot of basic SEs that are obviously hard to move without incentives... I've got a bit of context on those numbers,

There's about 50,000 Escapes listed nationwide,  21,000 of those are SEs,  and of those, 9,000 FWD SEs and 5,000 less than $25K

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm not 100% sure what Ford is doing with the Escape with pricing-My wife got a 2017 SE that has nearly everything and more then 2013 Ti model that my parents have. She has a power passenger seat, backup camera and moonroof that the 2013 Ti doesn't have-I think she might have cloth seats, but the Ti only had leather trimmed seats. I think the Ti was 32K (didn't have a sunroof or AWD, since my dad didn't want them) and the SE was $27K. 

Given its roots are in a car that used to sell for $16-17K and the biggest difference between the two is an AWD system, something seriously went wrong there, if they can't make $$$ on something that costs almost 10K more.

The 2019 Escape SE 4WD tops out at just under $31K MSRP and a 2019 Escape Titanium tops out at about $38,800 MSRP. 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, bzcat said:

So this is what I got from reading the articles:

1. First time Ford confirmed Model E architecture will spawn more than one vehicle (although that seems obvious) - the first model, a SUV will be made at Cuautitlan. The second model... not sure what kind, will be made at Flat Rock.

Could the second model of the BEV be a Lincoln variant? It would seem that such a model would be vital for China, and could establish Lincoln's credibility in this important arena in the early 20's.

21 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Could the second model of the BEV be a Lincoln variant? It would seem that such a model would be vital for China, and could establish Lincoln's credibility in this important arena in the early 20's.

I thought Lincoln was going to start building for China exclusively in China soon.

This announcement's wording seems to indicate that the BEV chassis is essentially 'getting' a second plant with the addition of Flat Rock. I can't remember if Ford have ever flat out stated that they will build the BEV chassis in China or not - they have spoken of building 'electrified' vehicles in China, but of course that's a pretty broad description that could mean hybrids or PIH's but not necessarily the BEV chassis.