Panoramic Roof

KenC

I have a 2017 Edge and recently had the panoramic roof crack like crazy.  Not the typical spider crack, but curvy, non-uniform, multiple shapes.  Dealer says not warranty because they found a slight chip.  Anybody else had this problem?  Worse case have to submit to insurance.

Edited by KenC

• 9 months later...

I work for a sunroof supplier and I can say that cracks are not uncommon.  If the glass is tempered then a chip small enough to penetrate only the outer tension layer of the glass can lead to the glass cracking.  I’m not sure if Ford uses tempered glass or a laminated safety glass on the panoramic sunroofs used for the Edge.  The long curly crack path you describe is more indicative of laminated glass, which can still crack due to impact or stress.

If the crack was caused by an external force such as a rock chip, etc, then it would not be covered under warranty.  It is correct that many insurance policies will cover it instead.  It must have been an obvious chip if the dealership was able to determine the initiation point and the cause.  Most dealerships I have worked with don’t have the expertise necessary to make that determination.  Often the sunroof has to be sent back to the supplier for failure analysis.  I have received lots of sunroofs back from my customers with the request “tell me why this cracked”.  For those examples, usually the manufacturer repaired the claim under warranty as a courtesy to the customer and dealer.

Out of curiosity, what does something like that cost to replace?  I had a regular sunroof shatter years ago and I recall it being over $1000 but they also had to drop the headliner and clean out the glass.  I was driving at the time and all of a sudden it was hailing inside the car.  It was covered by my insurance but the guy at the glass shop told me they were more expensive than windshields as no one made after market glass for those and they had to get them from the manufacturer.

17 hours ago, garbageman918 said:

was going to look for one with a pano...but having second thoughts after seeing this.  Any regrets even after having to go through the headache of fixing?  I thought the kiddo might like it which is the only reason I'd consider it.

I wouldn’t hesitate for a second on buying a vehicle with this option. It’s one of my favorite features of my F150, and our Explorer, and wouldn’t buy one without it. 

I can not remember what was the first year for the Edge but since then until now we have had to replace two roofs on them. As for our F-350 I have had them since they started putting them in an have never replaced one. I think the newer design of the the edge might make the front edge of the glass more prone to getting a rock chip and starting the crack. I just went out and looked at our 2019 Ford Edge and they have installed a protective edge on the front of the glass just for that reason. Our 19 f-350 does not have that edge on the glass but it is more protected by the body.