2013 Ford Escape Cruise Issue

MWolf85

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. Great shape, low miles. Everything is good, except for the fact that cruise control stopped working. It doesn't even turn on! I'm baffled as to why it wouldn't, because it worked when I test drove it, I used it a few times. I did do an update to the Sync system, and after that, it seemed to have stopped working. I have no idea how the two would be related, as they seem like completely different systems, but who knows? I've tried disconnecting the battery, I checked connections for the brake pedal switch, going to check fuses, checked every setting I could get to in every menu I could find!

I'm at a loss if it's not a fuse, other than some part failure. But what part? What would it most likely be? Hopefully, it's not expensive, and if it's software related, I hope I can fix it on my own (not feeling lucky with that, given how much the dealer has to do with such things). Please help! I drive a lot on the interstate, and I miss my cruise control. Finding the issue is driving me nuts!

8 hours ago, MWolf85 said:

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. Great shape, low miles. Everything is good, except for the fact that cruise control stopped working. It doesn't even turn on! I'm baffled as to why it wouldn't, because it worked when I test drove it, I used it a few times. I did do an update to the Sync system, and after that, it seemed to have stopped working. I have no idea how the two would be related, as they seem like completely different systems, but who knows? I've tried disconnecting the battery, I checked connections for the brake pedal switch, going to check fuses, checked every setting I could get to in every menu I could find!

I'm at a loss if it's not a fuse, other than some part failure. But what part? What would it most likely be? Hopefully, it's not expensive, and if it's software related, I hope I can fix it on my own (not feeling lucky with that, given how much the dealer has to do with such things). Please help! I drive a lot on the interstate, and I miss my cruise control. Finding the issue is driving me nuts!

Bring it back to where you bought it and tell them that the cruise control is not working? I am guessing you bought it from a dealership and not some used car lot? Used cars usually get some type of warranty too....

12 minutes ago, MWolf85 said:

It does haveca warrenty. It's just a matter of scheduling. Thinking I may have to bite the bullet and take it in if I don't find an obvious solution or something to adjust. 

If it has a warranty, you aren't really buting a bullet...schedule it in and get it fixed....then, let us know what was fixed.

25 minutes ago, twintornados said:

If it has a warranty, you aren't really buting a bullet...

It's still a big inconvenience to have to take it in for service.  I feel the same way and if it's something small I can fix myself I'd rather do that.

But this probably isn't one of those things.

• Like 1

You could test the switches and clockspring yourself, if you are capable of dealing with the airbag system, but unless you are VERY sure you can, you shouldn't. 

Since it's drive by wire (and cruise) does it run and move? If it does, the PCM is capable of controlling the throttle/speed. Do ALL the other switches in the column work and are there no ABS/Traction control/Check Engine lamps illuminated? If they do, the SASM is capable of outputting information onto the network and the other modules are receiving it.   

Beyond that, there is very little you can test yourself without a scan tool. 

Everything else seems to work. The only light on is for the (very irritating) TPMS. Wheel controls for everything else work as they should. No drivability issues or sporadic behavior. No instrument cluster issues. I did borrow a scanner and got a very interesting result; it said power below threshold and that it had lost communication. Hmm...

Beginning to think I should take a look at the negative battery cable. I hear there can be issues with them, and if it was the BCM itself, wouldn't there be other issues? The brake light switch seems to work (as in brake lights turn on and off as expected).

I may still end up taking it in, but...still gonna do a last ditch effort to avoid it, because their hours and my hours don't quite match.

akirby is right about oddball battery issues. But I've never seen a specific to cruise only issue from one. Not saying its impossible, just very improbable.

Brain farted the brake lamp switch as a check, I apologize. The brake pedal switch is a dual contact, reversing switch. When one is closed, the other is open. That way, the switch has a backup. Since the lamps work, half is working. But that does leave the other half. Off the top of my head I can't remember which is which. MAke sure that the wiring hasnt accidentally been kicked. I've seen that happen.  

AS far as the U3003's you got, you did have the battery unhooked. Also to NOT have some network codes in an Escape is unusual. There are some network codes that can suspend cruise function. But realistically, all those other functions work and the car runs. 

YT90SC, where is the backup? I only spotted one under the dash. Maybe I'm just not seeing it because it's a little cramped there, but I'm assuming under the hood, probably conveniently located somewhere under the cowl that I know I'm gonna have to remove at some point.

1 hour ago, MWolf85 said:

YT90SC, where is the backup? I only spotted one under the dash. Maybe I'm just not seeing it because it's a little cramped there, but I'm assuming under the hood, probably conveniently located somewhere under the cowl that I know I'm gonna have to remove at some point.

The switch itself is its own backup, only on the pedal. Four wires, two switches, all the same assembly. One turns off, the other on, opposite of one another. 

Update: I replaced the battery. It needed it anyway. I left it disconnected for a bit before putting the new one in. The problem with the cruise wasn't fixed by this. 

I tested the brake light switch with a multimeter. It is fine. But curiosity kills me. Can't resist tinkering! So, no idea boyond a fuse I haven't discovered. 

• 1 month later...

Okay, it acted up again. Now, I did notice this time that giving the steering wheel a good smack made it work. Aside from feeling like the Fonz, this isn't optimal.

So, what's the likelyhood the switch just needs cleaned or replaced, or is a wiring issue more common?

Loving the new Escape beyond this, by the way. Super quiet inside, quick, and the Sony stereo is pretty nice.