My new Ranger is a Very Rare One!

7 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Anyhow today I talked to my service advisor. They ended up replacing the #1 injector yesterday. He said it was a heck of a job, but soon after they finished Ford notified them to hold onto it because they have now determined it's actually a software problem. Anyhow Ford just published a TSB to update the software on the PCU. So they will update that tomorrow. So in the end the injector wasn't really faulty even though the PCU was saying it was. I told the service advisor I guess the positive was his tech got some training on replacing an injector on a Ranger. We shared a laugh over that one. I'm not sure if the tech would agree, but they are getting paid so what the heck. Anyhow hopefully I can get it tomorrow and no more check engine light!

I was going to share that-someone posted the same issue in the Ranger forum and TSB

8 minutes ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I am awaiting the tech to try the TSB update fix to my Ranger to see if it takes care of the bad injector issue. My truck had very noticeable hesitation at lower speeds. I’m glad I ain’t the only one dealing with this problem. Misery loves company. 

It might be a blessing that your dealer had an issue getting the part because it saved them from tearing it all apart. My dealer got the part next day so the injector was replaced before they released the TSB. I guess it doesn't really hurt anything because I'm not paying for it. I never noticed any hesitation, however coming from a V6 I will say the 4 is a little rougher starting during the stop-start cycle if you use that feature. Anyhow get the TSB done and you'll probably be fine. My transmission was finally shifting smooth by about the time I took it to the dealer. I wonder if it'll have to relearn shifting patterns after the update? I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

I’m glad you got your truck back. Please let us know how it’s running.

they did the the TSB19-2145 update and my Ranger still had significant throttle hesitation so the service technician would not release it back to me yet. Not all the parts have arrived yet for the fuel injector swap.  Corporate promised to expedite the parts last week. They said it was a fuel injector  pump tube or some such part that is on back order with no ETA available. 

I had my new truck for six days when the Check Engine Light came on. Its been in the shop for over two weeks and no one can tell me when it will be fixed. I’m beside myself with disappointment. 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, 2005Explorer said:

I wonder if it'll have to relearn shifting patterns after the update?

That's actually a misconception. It's not learning shift patterns, it's actually just simply breaking in the gears and clutch packs. They’re intentionally manufactured so the gears mesh together slightly tighter than spec for durability reasons. It can take up to I think around 1000 miles for them to break in and things smooth out. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's actually a misconception. It's not learning shift patterns, it's actually just simply breaking in the gears and clutch packs. They’re intentionally manufactured so the gears mesh together slightly tighter than spec for durability reasons. It can take up to I think around 1000 miles for them to break in and things smooth out. 

It constantly adjusts the shift pressure (by gear, rpm and throttle position) to keep it in factory spec to adjust for wear over time.

• 3 weeks later...