Ford and VW partnership

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

I think VW could build a competitive small pickup and van quite easily.  However, it would be more profitable for VW to use Ford platforms for these vehicles rather than design their own

Precisely and further to that,

VW has now lost more than $30 billion over dieselgate, that's money that now can't be spent on new product

and the most likely areas where VW wouldn't face backlash is outsourcing of certain commercial vehicles.

On the other side of that, VW has spent an absolute bomb $60 billionon its new MEB flexible EV architecture

and nowneeds to defray as many of those costs as possible, in comes Ford as the answer to it's prayers.

Ford gets a massive commercial vehicle sales guaranteed for years in advance as see as access to VW's MQB

platform answering all of it's prayers in Europe and ROW.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I think VW could build a competitive small pickup and van quite easily.  However, it would be more profitable for VW to use Ford platforms for these vehicles rather than design their own

More importantly it frees up VW resources to work on other things that Ford can share.  Instead of both companies duplicating each other’s efforts,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

More importantly it frees up VW resources to work on other things that Ford can share.  Instead of both companies duplicating each other’s efforts,

I've heard that Ford absolutely refused to let VW have access to Ranger in North America, so no Amorok for USA or Canada.

It will be interesting to see if Ford takes up VW's invitation for companies to partner with Its US BEV. production facility.

If Ford does take up the offer, it could go from almost no BEV products to a very strong showing in double quick time.

Edited by jpd80

Ford's wise to block Amarok in NA, the premium-trim truck models are a sorely-needed income stream and while VW's truck likely wouldn't be anywhere in the hunt for the segment sales crown it could absolutely take away a chunk of those premium sales. Ze Germans would have to put up quite an enticing deal to make that something Dearborn would agree to.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I've heard that Ford absolutely refused to let VW have access to Ranger in North America, so no Amorok for USA or Canada.

It will be interesting to see if Ford takes up VW's invitation for companies to partner with Its US BEV. production facility.

If Ford does take up the offer, it could go from almost no BEV products to a very strong showing in double quick time.

I wonder if VW will have access to the Everest as well. We haven't heard anything about it yet. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:20 AM, Joe771476 said:

I thought Ford/Hackett has realized AV's aren't quite the future yet!  Who wants to take a trip to Europe on a Boeing 737 MAX?  I'll buy the tickets for ya!!

According to some US pilots who flew that plane regularly that I have talked to, suggested that just turning the autopilot off and flying the plane like you were trained to do resulted in no issues. The autopilot was flawed but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the plane. Ultimately the reliance on automation and lack of experience for those pilots lead to those tragic accidents. 

24 minutes ago, tbone said:

According to some US pilots who flew that plane regularly that I have talked to, suggested that just turning the autopilot off and flying the plane like you were trained to do resulted in no issues. The autopilot was flawed but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the plane. Ultimately the reliance on automation and lack of experience for those pilots lead to those tragic accidents. 

The issue is that most airlines insist that pilots use autopilot except for take off and landing,

Boeing / airbus successfully convincing airlines to stop pilots flying any planes, not just 737 Max.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Don't bet on that.

I mean in terms of other Ford products like SUVs, VW already has newer models in place.

They needcto get return on  MQB tool kit that cost upwards of $60 billion to develop.

Edited by jpd80

I would guess Everest in Argentina. Bronco will require CKD from Michigan and I just don't see Ford will bother with it. CKD from the US is lousy business and you risk labor relations with UAW who would rather Ford fully assemble the Bronco in Michigan for export. 

A VW badged Everest for South America also makes very good business case. Demand for affordable large 4x4 exists in South America and VW doesn't have anything like it.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, jpd80 said:

The issue is that most airlines insist that pilots use autopilot except for take off and landing,

Boeing / airbus successfully convincing airlines to stop pilots flying any planes, not just 737 Max.

Two things I will never trust: Self-Driving cars and Self-Landing Boeing Jets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

The first crack in the partnership has showed. VW just canceled their Amarok for Argentina/Brazil:

https://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.br/argentina-volkswagen-teria-cancelado-projeto-local-da-nova-amarok/

They canceled plan to build it in Argentina, which given the currency crisis the country was in before COVID-19, is no surprise. I wouldn't be so sure that Ford will build the new Ranger in Argentina either. They may just continue with the old models (both Ranger and Amarok) in Argentina while the rest of the world moves on with the new Ranger.

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

They canceled plan to build it in Argentina, which given the currency crisis the country was in before COVID-19, is no surprise. I wouldn't be so sure that Ford will build the new Ranger in Argentina either. They may just continue with the old models (both Ranger and Amarok) in Argentina while the rest of the world moves on with the new Ranger.

Next gen Ranger is still at least 18 months away, the new Amorok even longer.

There's a rumour that another update of this generation Ranger arrives later this year with V6 Powerstroke,

so maybe that takes pressure off the roll out of next generation Ranger in South America and with that, Amorok.