Has anybody gotten the Ceramic Coating done?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Naut2go said:

I am considering Ceramic coating for my Nautilus I ordered....Just wondering if it is worth the money..

Yes, I got gtechniq and while it was expensive for the initial install it has made a huge difference in keeping the vehicle clean.  It’s extremely hydrophobic do regular washing is super easy and any bugs are junk on the vehicle come off with very little agitation.  I have it on the windshield and the wheels as well... having the turbine style wheels with the coating is worth it alone as it makes cleaning them massively easier.  It has to have a yearly application but I have it done when I have my annual full detail so it’s no big deal.  I would do it again.  This is also a very polarizing topic so expect some differing opinions.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, boredinbirmingham said:

Yes, I got gtechniq and while it was expensive for the initial install it has made a huge difference in keeping the vehicle clean.  It’s extremely hydrophobic do regular washing is super easy and any bugs are junk on the vehicle come off with very little agitation.  I have it on the windshield and the wheels as well... having the turbine style wheels with the coating is worth it alone as it makes cleaning them massively easier.  It has to have a yearly application but I have it done when I have my annual full detail so it’s no big deal.  I would do it again.  This is also a very polarizing topic so expect some differing opinions.

How much did it cost for the body + windshield + wheels for you? 

Did the shop have your vehicle for a long time? 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, boredinbirmingham said:

It definitely works as advertised and does make cleaning easier.  The question is whether it’s worth the cost.  I don’t even wax my cars any more and after almost 7 years my Ruby Red Fusion looked brand new.  Then again I don’t wash my own vehicles either - I use the car wash.

17 hours ago, potatosalad said:

How much did it cost for the body + windshield + wheels for you? 

Did the shop have your vehicle for a long time? 

I don’t exactly remember as this was two years ago but it was just at $3k for full paint correction and detail,  the entire coating, some clear bra applied to the door sills and running boards and around the back bumper, and some interior protection stuff.  Also, it’s not an in and out process because the initial application needs to cure for 24 hours so the guy had my car for 3 days.  There are other products out there so they may not all be like that.  I know Madesto coatings cure under some type of special light so it may be quicker but I don’t know. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

It definitely works as advertised and does make cleaning easier.  The question is whether it’s worth the cost.  I don’t even wax my cars any more and after almost 7 years my Ruby Red Fusion looked brand new.  Then again I don’t wash my own vehicles either - I use the car wash.

I’ve yet to take this vehicle through the machine.  I took my Fusions through when I still got company cars and they did ok.  These turbine wheels on the Navigator would probably laugh at any attempt in cleaning that didn’t involved multiple brush tools and some swearing.  I got the Ingot Silver so it’s not too bad on showing dirt and with a foam canon cleaning isn’t bad, I actually enjoy it... for now.  I also obsess over silly things like missed areas from poor car washing and water spots so I stick to the occasional wash.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, akirby said:

$400 isn't too bad but I've heard people paying $2500.  What's the deal?

There are different levels of the job, plus he gave me a great deal. I got the CeramicPro Silver package, with 2 stage paint correction, and 2 coats including the wheels, plastic deck lid panel (Which scratches when you look at it), and the stripes.  Here is before and after photos of anfer the Cutting (first) stage. This car only had 1100 miles on it too!

received_2297287540521042.jpeg

received_2314749308584638.jpeg

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Looks great!

What wheels are those?  Do you have a photo from further out?  Looks like you have a different grille insert too?

The wheels are SVE SP2's, which are PP2 replicas. They are about 10 pounds lighter than each factory wheel though. The Grilles are from Cervinni's. 

20181218_132634.jpg

20190531_133344.jpg

On 6/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, LSchicago said:

There are different levels of the job, plus he gave me a great deal. I got the CeramicPro Silver package, with 2 stage paint correction, and 2 coats including the wheels, plastic deck lid panel (Which scratches when you look at it), and the stripes.  Here is before and after photos of anfer the Cutting (first) stage. This car only had 1100 miles on it too!

received_2297287540521042.jpeg

received_2314749308584638.jpeg

First off, beautiful car! I’m partial to mustangs and enjoy seeing nice examples of the vehicle. 

Second, I found when researching the paint correction that the mileage had little to do with the need for the correction.  My Nav had 250 miles on it when I took it in... I’d owned it less than a week and it was built 3 weeks prior.  So in other words it was literally brand spanking new.  I was shocked at the difference the correction made and mine is the Ingot silver color which hides imperfections pretty well.  I paid a lot more than you did but I also didn’t have a friend who could do the work.  100% would do it again, though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just had 2 coars of ceramic done on my ST.  Didnt bother with paint correction because Magnetic hides paint flaws very well.  The Xpel guy couldnt believe how pristine the paint looked.

Did a polish for $200, 2 coats for $600 including glass and all plastic trim.  Also had full bumper, hood, mirrors and partial fenders done with Xpel wrap for $1,200.  Was 2 1/2 days of work.

Amazing to see the water bead off bbn in the rain and even big splatters wipe right off with one pass of a cloth.

20190823_192414.jpg

20190823_192358.jpg

20190823_192155.jpg

20190823_192203.jpg

20190823_112231.jpg

20190823_112238.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

From what I understand about a year.

I think it generally depends on how many coats (layers) are applied.  I have read anywhere from 2 to 5 years (warranty lengths from pro applicators) depending the hardness of the coating and the number of layers.

3 hours ago, Wheeling said:

How long it is going to last? A few months, a few years, or a life time?

It really depends on how well you take care of it.  2 coats will get you 3-5 years however there are many factors that can limit that.  How often you wash it, what type of soap (need to use a PH neutral soap), making sure you wash the bug splatter, bord droppings etc off sooner rather than later.

The guy told me he recommends coming in once every 1-2 years and he will apply another coat on top which would be $200.  Essentially he is cleaning it and putting another coat on top of the existing coat to keep it on their permanently.  $200 every couple of years (even once a year) to keep it pristine is a good price IMO.

Edited by blwnsmoke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$2,000 To have paint protection and ceramic coating applied professionally to my Focus RS.
This was bumper to bumper, all glass, lamps, wheel wells, door jambs and included two sets of wheels.
Well worth the cost, so simple to keep clean and it has a 4 year warranty.