IIHS aims for rear seat improvements

Research paper attached.

Factors contributing to serious and fatal injuries in belted rear-seat occupants in frontal crashes

Jermakian, Jessica S.; Edwards, Marcy A. (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)

Fein, Seth; Maltese, Matthew R. (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania)
April 2019

mf2178.pdf

On 4/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, rmc523 said:

Guess they found their next goalpost shift.  *Cue deathtrap ratings for this years top picks*

I was going to say, hasn't Ford moved away from the rear seat airbag seatbelts?  Was it because of low take rate?

Constant warranty issues didn’t help. The connecters on the harness fail regularly. No clue why that particular system was such an issue. 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:25 AM, rmc523 said:

Guess they found their next goalpost shift.  *Cue deathtrap ratings for this years top picks*

I was going to say, hasn't Ford moved away from the rear seat airbag seatbelts?  Was it because of low take rate?

I know the IIHS is pretty much loathed around this forum and there is some truth to the goal post shift, but they have helped push vehicle manufacturers to make safety improvements. I understand that many people would be fine with anything that passes minimum safety standards, but I prefer to drive a vehicle that goes above and beyond those minimum standards. I often put people I love the most in my backseat and if changes can be made that improve their safety that’s a good thing. Could it add some cost to the customer or cause a slight loss of profitability on a vehicle line? Sure, but I think safety is worth it. Ford tried the profits over safety approach on a few vehicle lines back in the day (Pinto and Bronco II are a couple that come to mind) and that didn’t work out so well in the end for Ford or the people killed in those vehicles.

Edited by 2005Explorer