Clunk-Clunk Noise on 2019 Nautilus

From the time I picked it up my 2019 Nautilus makes a clunk-clunk noise. It is not when its moving. it's when a door is opened or even when you walk up to it in a garage (when you are 8-10 feet or so away). It's not the door latching mechanisms. It's not the locks (can happen when the vehicle is unlocked). Has happened when the liftgate is opened. Sounds like it's coming from the underbody somewhere in the rear.

Went to the selling dealer. Mechanic said he could not verify. There was a Nautilus in the showroom. Opened door. It made the noise. My salesman and the sales manager also heard the noise. Salesmanager went to service and told them "they all do it" and no further action required. Service would not contact Ford to see if there was a fix.

Called Lincoln Concierge Service Manager. They recommended second opinion from a different dealer. The second dealer had the Nautilus for about a week. They heard the noise. Their opinion (as stated on the service writeup) is that it is the fuel pump priming for startup and the noise it normal. I question that that the noise occurs even when the key fobs are in the house and not near the vehicle.

Noise sound kind of like a pump shotgun racking or a lever action rifle.

Asked for a service engineer to look at it, or for the dealer to contact one. Was told since in the dealers opinion the noise is normal this was not necessary.

Would like to know if others have the issues and is there a fix.

From your description, yes it’s the fuel pump priming. All Ford/Lincoln products do this after a certain year. I believe it started when they went to GTDI engines. So about 2009+. MKS was the first. I doubt there will ever be a fix as it’s operating as designed. Key Fob input, door input any of that will cause it to prime. Have the dealer show you another unit that does it. 

Edited by fordtech1

• 4 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 5:56 PM, rdeahl said:

These are two recordings of the noise my Nautilus makes that I'm wondering what is the source and is there a corrective action.

The noise is the metallic ringing sound. Is it really the fuel pump??

Play the wav files with the volume up.

Noise #1.wav

Noise #2.wav

Yup that's the sound alright. If that's the fuel pump priming it sounds like no other fuel pump I've heard. My security camera picks it up in the middle of the night.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

This was confirmed on the edge forum as the rear axle disconnect solenoid being tested.  There is supposedly a new part that’s quieter and I think  there is a tab about it.

I would have to agree, my fuel pump makes a sound, but it don't sound like that....more probable is the solenoid disconnect cycling as you have stated...whew, I can understand the frustration though...that sounds crazy!!!