Bad Fuel Injector 2019 Ranger

RIcky Ranger

My brand new Ranger’s Check Engine Light came on at about 380 miles. I took it to the dealership and the service technician cleared the alert. He drove a couple of new Rangers on his lot and reported a pronounced hesitation at lower speeds. I told them I had experienced the same behavior. Ford Corporate was contacted and the tech was directed to check the fuel injectors. Low and behold, the #2 fuel injector   Needs to be replaced. The service writer called to tell me there are no replacement parts available per his ordering system. 

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how long it will take to get the part out here to California and when I’ll be getting my truck back? 

Bonus point questions:

How many fuel injectors does my Ranger have? 

If one fuel injector  is bad is it indicative that the others will have problems? 

Edited by RIcky Ranger
Misspelled word

13 hours ago, RIcky Ranger said:

My brand new Ranger’s Check Engine Light came on at about 380 miles. I took it to the dealership and the service technician cleared the alert. He drove a couple of new Rangers on his lot and reported a pronounced hesitation at lower speeds. I told them I had experienced the same behavior. Ford Corporate was contacted and the tech was directed to check the fuel injectors. Low and behold, the #2 fuel injector   Needs to be replaced. The service writer called to tell me there are no replacement parts available per his ordering system. 

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how long it will take to get the part out here to California and when I’ll be getting my truck back? 

Bonus point questions:

How many fuel injectors does my Ranger have? 

If one fuel injector  is bad is it indicative that the others will have problems? 

Since the dealership has a few Rangers on the lot, they could always go out to the lot and take one of them in and get a fuel injector from it to fix your Ranger. 

49 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Since the dealership has a few Rangers on the lot, they could always go out to the lot and take one of them in and get a fuel injector from it to fix your Ranger. 

Ford does not like that. If it’s something small like a trim piece, not a big deal. Plus it’s Direct injection which requires new seals and a lot more work than port. 

• Like 1

At one time I remember they would pull parts off of the assembly line if it was a dire situation. However I don’t know if they do that anymore. Of course the service reps used to be more about customer service and less about selling special equipment.

2 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

At one time I remember they would pull parts off of the assembly line if it was a dire situation. However I don’t know if they do that anymore. Of course the service reps used to be more about customer service and less about selling special equipment.

They won't even sell extra parts when production ends anymore. It's considered a liability for some reason. 

10 minutes ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I reached out to Corporate to see if they can expedite the parts shipped faster. 

Every push helps. I’m sure the dealer emergency ordered the parts. However, from your description none of the parts depots show them. So that could mean they are a vendor item. Vendor items are hard for the dealer to track or get a real eta. Chances are it will just show up one day. Hopefully soon.

I heard from the Corporate customer service representative who did not seem empathetic to my having spent 39k on a truck to have it knocked out of commission within the very first week of ownership. I asked when I can expect to be able to drive my brand new truck and was told my case is being “elevated” and I will get a call on Tuesday. I reiterated that I’m am very happy with the attention and thoroughness of the repairing dealership. I am not impressed with customer service from Corporate. 

I wonder what “elevated” really means. 

3 minutes ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I heard from the Corporate customer service representative who did not seem empathetic to my having spent 39k on a truck to have it knocked out of commission within the very first week of ownership. I asked when I can expect to be able to drive my brand new truck and was told my case is being “elevated” and I will get a call on Tuesday. I reiterated that I’m am very happy with the attention and thoroughness of the repairing dealership. I am not impressed with customer service from Corporate. 

I wonder what “elevated” really means. 

Means it goes up the chain a little. But chances are it’s been elevated by the dealership already. FYI it’s not uncommon if your truck is out of commission too long, you could get a ESP plan thrown in. I’ve seen it in extreme cases to help alleviate the sting of being without a new vehicle for a while. 

I would have appreciated some language along the lines of, “ I’m so sorry this has happened to you and Ford will work as quickly as possible to get your new truck back to you in working order”. That’s customer service 101. First, a vehicle that doesn’t run well out of the gate. Then woefully unimpressive Corporate customer service. The sales people, the service writer and service technician have treated me very well. I’m hoping this story has good  ending. 

1 hour ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I would have appreciated some language along the lines of, “ I’m so sorry this has happened to you and Ford will work as quickly as possible to get your new truck back to you in working order”. That’s customer service 101. First, a vehicle that doesn’t run well out of the gate. Then woefully unimpressive Corporate customer service. The sales people, the service writer and service technician have treated me very well. I’m hoping this story has good  ending. 

I have no doubt it will be fixed. The only concern is time. I understand the frustration with corporate customer service but you have to remember they are a call center. But I do agree. A little sympathy would go a long way

I am a glass half full kinda guy. I do believe things will be ok after the fix. I agree, how long things take is important. I’m thinking the service tech doesn’t replace fuel injectors often so I ain’t gonna be bugging the dealership one bit. 

Back to the Corporate customer service issue, it was a regional rep who called me and made me feel like having a brand new truck crap out was not really a problem. Enuff said. 

1 hour ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I am a glass half full kinda guy. I do believe things will be ok after the fix. I agree, how long things take is important. I’m thinking the service tech doesn’t replace fuel injectors often so I ain’t gonna be bugging the dealership one bit. 

Back to the Corporate customer service issue, it was a regional rep who called me and made me feel like having a brand new truck crap out was not really a problem. Enuff said. 

Well that is disappointing.

I received a follow up call from the Corporate Customer Service Representative today who informed me they are working to locate a replacement fuel injector  and get it shipped to the dealership as soon as possible. I told them I was not ok with owning a new Ranger for three weeks and having in the repair shop for most of that time. The representative assured me I will be compensated for my situation. I again gave praise to the dealership for working hard to fix my truck. I feel somewhat better today, but I still don’t have any idea when I’m getting my Ranger back. 

• Like 1

TSB19-2145 was put out today which purportedly is to address this issue.

Is there a link to the referenced fix? 

I would like to speak to the service writer and the Corporate representative in detail. I’m glad the problem has been recognized and there is a plan to move forward. 

Thank you in advance for your thought, insights, and advice with my situation, you folks are awesome. 

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The dealership didn't provide a loaner vehicle while its being repaired? You'd think it would go above and beyond for a vehicle that is basically brand new. 

I did not push the repairing dealership for a loaner. I did not buy my truck from them and I’m thinking I want to establish a good relationship with them. I am fortunate as my son is away at college and I can use his cool little Honda Civic while I wait to get my Ranger back. 

The more information they have the better. It’s been frustrating owning a brand new Ranger for three weeks, having it in the repair shop for two of those weeks, and having people tell me, your Ranger is so new we are trying to figure out what’s wrong with it and we don’t have the parts to fix it. If I can guide them to a quicker resolve l, I’m happy to do it. 

2 hours ago, RIcky Ranger said:

The more information they have the better. It’s been frustrating owning a brand new Ranger for three weeks, having it in the repair shop for two of those weeks, and having people tell me, your Ranger is so new we are trying to figure out what’s wrong with it and we don’t have the parts to fix it. If I can guide them to a quicker resolve l, I’m happy to do it. 

I don't understand how you would be able to "guide them to a quicker resolve." ....please explain.