Ford Ranger Sales off to a Slow Start—It's Even Being Beaten by the Nissan Frontier

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

The complete lack of marketing in key areas like Southern California is also puzzling. Is Ford afraid people will find out they sell a Tacoma competitor?

I've seen exactly 1 Ranger in the wild since they went on sale. I see probably 2 dozen Tacoma each day. Ranger hasn't been relevant nameplate in California since when Toyota's pickup truck had no name. So the fact that Ford is essentially launching a brand new nameplate and vehicle in the biggest/most important market for midsize truck without ANY media advertising is... a bit unorthodox.

I think there is concern about the asian ranger...otherwise the entire ford marketing team in charge of promoting this truck needs terminated...the asian truck us not a taco killer..may be when we get a real ranger it might be

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

The complete lack of marketing in key areas like Southern California is also puzzling. Is Ford afraid people will find out they sell a Tacoma competitor?

I've seen exactly 1 Ranger in the wild since they went on sale. I see probably 2 dozen Tacoma each day. Ranger hasn't been relevant nameplate in California since when Toyota's pickup truck had no name. So the fact that Ford is essentially launching a brand new nameplate and vehicle in the biggest/most important market for midsize truck without ANY media advertising is... a bit unorthodox.

There was a ton of advertising on Facebook (at least for me-now just getting of Edge adverts) for the Ranger before it released-since then crickets-I haven't seen any mention of advertising for the truck anywhere.

They are in month 5 of release-you'd think they have the inventory to start advertising it. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Interesting, since the Los Angeles region was one of five "targeted" areas.   https://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/ford-takes-targeted-approach-ranger-comeback/316801

HRG

I've seen several ranger ads but why spend big on advertising when you don't have the inventory to support it?

This is a deliberate slow ramp up and I wouldn't be worried until they have a 90 day supply at all price points and they're still not selling well.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I've seen several ranger ads but why spend big on advertising when you don't have the inventory to support it?

This is a deliberate slow ramp up and I wouldn't be worried until they have a 90 day supply at all price points and they're still not selling well.

But it's more fun to go OH MY GOD WHAT AN ABSOLUTE FAILURE LOLOLOL FORD SUX 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

But it's more fun to go OH MY GOD WHAT AN ABSOLUTE FAILURE LOLOLOL FORD SUX 

If people aren't bitching, they aren't happy-I see this everywhere now-esp with people thinking they are empowered on the internet for some reason-all it does it expose people to make them look like idiots. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

There was a ton of advertising on Facebook (at least for me-now just getting of Edge adverts) for the Ranger before it released-since then crickets-I haven't seen any mention of advertising for the truck anywhere.

They are in month 5 of release-you'd think they have the inventory to start advertising it. 

I've seen quite a few ads on TV for the Ranger.

still transportation issues....I have two units , built and ready to go, that have been sitting for 3 weeks awaiting shipment....grrrrr. And FINALLY we have subveened interest rates....I don't know exactly who decide the whens and hows, but they need a kick up the tush, because they are definitely blind to reality....

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

You need to live near a population center. 100+ within 20 miles of me.

HRG

local inventory.JPG

not accurate...this counts incoming units that haven't even arrived. we show 38....no where near that number.

Through April of 2019, Ford has moved only 15,169 units of its new 2019 Ranger pickup, beating only the GMC Canyon (9374 sales) and Honda's unibody Ridgeline (9606 sales) in the mid-size pickup segment. The decidedly not-new Chevrolet Colorado has racked up 45,149 sales so far this year, while the segment continues to be dominated by the popular (and also not-new) Toyota Tacoma, 78,558 of which have found new homes so far in 2019. Even Nissan's ancient Frontier notched 24,479 sales in that same time period. For context, the current generation of Nissan's pickup has been around since George W. Bush's presidency.

So let's look at those other vehicle and their sales last month and YTD trends that Car and Driver  are quoting to question Ranger's sales performance...

MODEL......APR '19......APR '18...Change.....4MO '19........4 MO '18........4MO CHANGE
Ranger............5,748................0.......0.0%..........15,169..................0................0.0%
Colorado......11,655........12,345......-5.6%.........45,149..........41,204..............9.6%
Canyon...........2,420..........2,960....-18.2%..........9,374...........10,173..............-7.9%
Ridgeline........2,654..........2,459.......7.9%..........9,606.............9,464................1.5%
Frontier..........4,258..........5,082....-16.2%........24,479............27,907.............-12.3%
Tacoma......20,375........18,811.......8.3%.........78,558.............72,590................8.2%

Compared to April last year, Colorado off 5.6%, Canyon off 18.2%, Frontier off 16.2%, only Ridgeline and Tacoma growing sales by 7.9% and 8.3% respectivly...all showing that YTD numbers without context is useless.

Also, the build up of Ranger's sales is slow exactly because people are coming to terms with Ford's pricing, at the start of April, dealers nation wide had over 10,000 units but i suspect that stocks were clumped into certain regions with differing trim mixes..

Ranger...........US sales.......Canada Sales
January...........2,153............201
February..........2,899............173
March.............4,369 ............381
April................5,748.............522
Total............15,169...........1,277

To most people, that would seem more like a slow but steady rise in sales numbers for a truck that let's face it was called up from global duties to fill a roster in North America. Not a perfect fit for the market but certainly does most things well.

Also, Jeep is crowing because its dealers are reportedly holding over 25,000 orders for Gladiator. Now for Ranger to continue growing sales against that background and others like GM and Toyota offering good incentives, I think Ford is doing OK shouldering Ranger in past the competition....it is a 2.3 I-4 Ecoboost competing against mostly 3.5-3.6 V6 competition who have an easier sell with the V6.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Jpd, do you have Mexico numbers? Just curious 

I do but not April...Mexican Ranger is sold with the 2.5 gasoline engine and 3.2 I-5 diesel, so not from MAP...

Ranger...........US sales.......Canada Sales.........Mexico Sales
January...........2,153............201..........................589
February..........2,899............173.........................708
March.............4,369 ............381.........................722
April................5,748.............522.........................
Total............15,169...........1,277.........................

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

So let's look at those other vehicle and their sales last month and YTD trends that Car and Driver  are quoting to question Ranger's sales performance...

MODEL......APR '19......APR '18...Change.....4MO '19........4 MO '18........4MO CHANGE
Ranger............5,748................0.......0.0%..........15,169..................0................0.0%
Colorado......11,655........12,345......-5.6%.........45,149..........41,204..............9.6%
Canyon...........2,420..........2,960....-18.2%..........9,374...........10,173..............-7.9%
Ridgeline........2,654..........2,459.......7.9%..........9,606.............9,464................1.5%
Frontier..........4,258..........5,082....-16.2%........24,479............27,907.............-12.3%
Tacoma......20,375........18,811.......8.3%.........78,558.............72,590................8.2%

Compared to April last year, Colorado off 5.6%, Canyon off 18.2%, Frontier off 16.2%, only Ridgeline and Tacoma growing sales by 7.9% and 8.3% respectivly...all showing that YTD numbers without context is useless.

Also, the build up of Ranger's sales is slow exactly because people are coming to terms with Ford's pricing, at the start of April, dealers nation wide had over 10,000 units but i suspect that stocks were clumped into certain regions with differing trim mixes..

Ranger...........US sales.......Canada Sales
January...........2,153............201
February..........2,899............173
March.............4,369 ............381
April................5,748.............522
Total............15,169...........1,277

To most people, that would seem more like a slow but steady rise in sales numbers for a truck that let's face it was called up from global duties to fill a roster in North America. Not a perfect fit for the market but certainly does most things well.

Also, Jeep is crowing because its dealers are reportedly holding over 25,000 orders for Gladiator. Now for Ranger to continue growing sales against that background and others like GM and Toyota offering good incentives, I think Ford is doing OK shouldering Ranger in past the competition....it is a 2.3 I-4 Ecoboost competing against mostly 3.5-3.6 V6 competition who have an easier sell with the V6.

So this shows what a crummy thing Car & Drvier did here. They  knew Ranger  outsold Frontier in April, yet posted this as though the Ranger was failing by adding up the first quarter sales when Ranger sales were just starting up. No April numbers for Frontier where Ranger beat them!

Edited by Trailhiker
ineloquent wording
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bzcat said:

Agreed, there are ridiculous amounts of Tacomas in Cali. I don’t understand why Ford wouldn’t do a better job marketing there, considering that market definitely embraces the medium size truck.  

19 minutes ago, tbone said:

I don’t understand why Ford wouldn’t do a better job marketing there, considering that market definitely embraces the medium size truck.  

Because they don't have enough inventory built up yet!!  It will take a few more months.

How many times do we have to explain this?

Good points by Trailhiker and JPD80.  "Statistics 101...How to Lie With Numbers"  Unbelievable that C & D would use 4 mos YTD stats with   Ranger on sale for one of those months.  Interesting to see if any of their readers do a number on them in "letters to editor" in future issues.

I will say, here in Eastern MA I have seen ONE on the road.  And I make frequent trips on I-495 back and forth to Cape Cod.  Couple of dealers that I pay attention to seem to have the same trucks in inventory.  

As for advertising, as far as this TV market goes I see a lot of air time. Unfortunately, IMO they show more yuppies in their fashionable L.L.Bean wear climbing mountains, white water rafting etc than they do the product.  And for sure, not one pulling a skid steer trailer/light tower/air compressor showing the little trucks impressive 7500 lb. tow rating.

Bob i respect all your insights in regards to what is reality on dealer lots and dealer frustrations...but i would never push these small trucks for there towing ability....they will pull a small trailer with mulch but load them up with a couple dirtbikes and gear and it is quickly becomes apparent a limit has been reached...the taco is just as bad as is anything relative size related (think 4 runner)....yes the f150 and tundra are impressive with towing...but hitch up a tow hauler and u realize you are in need of f250 or larger..summary, i would not purchase the ranger or taco for towing ability..gear and dirt bike they do fine....add trailer and more gear and bikes and its a white knuckle trip to the trail for either truck.....

Edited by snooter

More challenges ahead for Ford marketing and PR for U.S. market 2019 Ranger. Yesterday, lawyers representing a 2019 Ford Ranger owner in San Antonio filed a lawsuit claiming that Ranger "is affected by the unlawful, unfair, deceptive, and otherwise defective fuel efficiency testing protocol utilized by Ford." It will be interesting to see where this goes. https://www.hbsslaw.com/uploads/case_downloads/ford-ranger/2019-05-06classactioncomplaint1123731.1.pdf

Edited by rperez817

12 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

More challenges ahead for Ford marketing and PR for U.S. market 2019 Ranger. Yesterday, lawyers representing a 2019 Ford Ranger owner in San Antonio filed a lawsuit claiming that Ranger "is affected by the unlawful, unfair, deceptive, and otherwise defective fuel efficiency testing protocol utilized by Ford." It will be interesting to see where this goes. https://www.hbsslaw.com/uploads/case_downloads/ford-ranger/2019-05-06classactioncomplaint1123731.1.pdf

They are trying to say that Ford deliberately incorrectly tested the Rangers without the proper correction factor to get best in class fuel economy

Also stated that Ford deliberately installed software in the vehicles to lie about actual fuel economy and deceive owners 

Both of those statements tell me they are on a fishing expedition and hoping to find more in discovery...good luck with that.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Nowhere because by their own admission it was a math error and not a software problem 

next 

Of course it’s off to a slow start. It’ll take a long time to gain back the brand recognition and equity they had in Ranger when they dumped it many years ago. They will be making the same mistake in the next couple years when they dump Fusion. The Fusion is a very well respected nameplate. Too bad they don’t build on that instead of trying to launch unknown and obscure products that will take years to gain any respect in the market.

Ironically my 2019 Ranger is sitting in the shop and I have no idea when I’ll get it back. Fuel injector problems right from the factory and following the Ranger5G forum several of us are having the same issue. It sucks to have your truck tore apart at 700 miles. My loaner is a 2018 Focus SE 5 door hatch. It’s actually a nice little car and at least with the one I have it seems like Ford finally figured out how to make the powershift auto work nice just in time to discontinue it. ? Anyhow my advice to any potential Ranger customers reading this is you might want to wait awhile to purchase or be greeted with a check engine light soon after purchase. If mine was the only one I’d call it a fluke. Since there are several people on a message board (likely a small sample of people with the problem) having the same injector issues I’d hold off on the purchase. I love the truck, but sitting in the shop with an issue that you’ll always worry about coming back doesn’t give a person much confidence in the product. I bleed blue blood so for me to be upset says a lot.