43 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I miss the big rig look it has had, but it looks far better then the Chevy or GMC products. 

All I think about when I see the old style is ridiculous tow Mirrors that are always out no matter, “red” driver, with a stack out the bed. Plus a sticker that says “rolling coal” 

What’s interesting to me is how subjective style is. I think the 97-03 F150 extended cab fx4 with white and grey bottom is still a good looking truck. However, I know tons of people that hated that style. 

20 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

All I think about when I see the old style is ridiculous tow Mirrors that are always out no matter, “red” driver, with a stack out the bed. Plus a sticker that says “rolling coal” 

What’s interesting to me is how subjective style is. I think the 97-03 F150 extended cab fx4 with white and grey bottom is still a good looking truck. However, I know tons of people that hated that style. 

I think the biggest issue with that gen F-150 was the it was too "feminized" for some of its buyers-like you, I like the style too

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

I think the biggest issue with that gen F-150 was the it was too "feminized" for some of its buyers-like you, I like the style too

My dad had a white '97 Lariat SuperCab (suicide door on one side only before they came out with dual doors and then SuperCrew)  that he lowered and put different rims on it and I always loved how it looked.  Those were the best flaresides, IMO.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, silvrsvt said:

If anything IRS will be a no cost option on higher end F-150s that aren't used day in day out as work trucks.

That is to damn funny not comment on......since when does Ford have anything "no cost" on their higher end trucks!  If it happens, it certainly will not be free:)

19 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Another round of shots.  This looks to be a Limited trim perhaps?  Interior pictures too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/09/ford-f-150-next-generation-spy-photos-interior/

Next-gen Ford F-150

I still see the fixed mast antenna-shocked that it is still there and wonder what the hell it does these days that cannot be added to the shark fins everyone has moved to? Ram did away with their fixed mast antenna so it must be possible.

8 hours ago, mackinaw said:

In the 1950's, flareside pickups had functional running boards.  Today, I think they're mainly for show.

Yes, they were there for those who would use their trucks on farms and ranches. If you had a full bed, a couple ranch hands could step up and hold on for a trip back to the barn.

Cars had real running boards in the 30's. Think of the old gangster movies where several thugs would be standing on them with  "tommy" guns.

2 hours ago, kyle said:

I still see the fixed mast antenna-shocked that it is still there and wonder what the hell it does these days that cannot be added to the shark fins everyone has moved to? Ram did away with their fixed mast antenna so it must be possible.

It is there to cause frustration while scraping ice off the windshield!

3 hours ago, kyle said:

That is to damn funny not comment on......since when does Ford have anything "no cost" on their higher end trucks!  If it happens, it certainly will not be free:)

No cost means the cost is already built into the vehicle so you're actually paying for it whether you get it or not.

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

No cost means the cost is already built into the vehicle so you're actually paying for it whether you get it or not.

Not sure I follow that......no cost to me is when Ford gives you the option of either axle and they are the same price.  There is no way this will happen-they charge for different axle ratio's and just about anything else that the consumer will pay for-which is a hell of a lot at the high end market.

4 minutes ago, kyle said:

Not sure I follow that......no cost to me is when Ford gives you the option of either axle and they are the same price.  There is no way this will happen-they charge for different axle ratio's and just about anything else that the consumer will pay for-which is a hell of a lot at the high end market.

It’s very simple.  Let’s say it costs Ford $600 extra for IRS.   They add $600 to the base price of the Platinum, Limited and KR models and then give you the choice of suspensions at no extra cost.

It means that you’re paying for the IRS even if you get the SRA.  But since it’s buried in the base price most don’t care and some actually think they’re getting IRS for free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, akirby said:

It’s very simple.  Let’s say it costs Ford $600 extra for IRS.   They add $600 to the base price of the Platinum, Limited and KR models and then give you the choice of suspensions at no extra cost.

It means that you’re paying for the IRS even if you get the SRA.  But since it’s buried in the base price most don’t care and some actually think they’re getting IRS for free.

Got your logic-I think they would just give you an optional upgrade cost to add that and not add it as standard. Either way, it generates costs and revenue. 

16 minutes ago, kyle said:

Got your logic-I think they would just give you an optional upgrade cost to add that and not add it as standard. Either way, it generates costs and revenue. 

It just depends on how they want to market it.  Either way is perfectly fine.

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

IMO it should be an option so people aren’t getting squeezed on the base price of the vehicle, but we know how that goes. 

Speaking of IRS, should it not be an easy option to add considering the F-150 and the Expedition are purported to be using the same frame?

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Serious question. Other than looks what is the appeal of the flareside? 

Nowadays?  Nothing.  I don't think there's even a flareside option from anyone anymore.  I think it died with the '15 redesign for F-150.

5 hours ago, kyle said:

This continues to puzzle me.  I guess it's the "if it ain't broke" logic?  And keeping costs down on lower trim models?  I don't know.  They hide Expy's too.

49 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Wonder if a HUD will be an option?

I'm sure it will be.

24 minutes ago, tbone said:

IMO it should be an option so people aren’t getting squeezed on the base price of the vehicle, but we know how that goes. 

Speaking of IRS, should it not be an easy option to add considering the F-150 and the Expedition are purported to be using the same frame?

Well we've already seen the F-150 running around with IRS, so yeah.

---

Something I just thought of - I wonder if interior dimensions/hardpoints will be the same as the current model?  My reasoning in asking - could we see Expedition gain this new interior for it's refresh?  Or would we have to wait for a redesign?  I know it would go against Ford's "barely touch the interior" MCE mantra of late, but I think it'd help Expy, which has had some criticism of the trucky interior.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Back in the old days when pickup trucks hauled sand or gravel the flare sides were easier to unload without the obstacle of the wheelhouse. 

They were also used a lot on the farm to haul grain (with side boards to increase capacity). They unloaded a lot easier with no wheelhouses to deal with.

7 hours ago, kyle said:

I agree... it seems like pointless penny pinching.