Powershift transmission law suits

Our 2015 focus transmission just bit the dust....but ford only sells trucks....rav 4 in driveway soon.....i still have 2 rangers left.....low mile...one going to be traded in soon for f150 or ram.....will never buy another ford car but ford kinda seen to that....ford really screwed the pooch on that transmussion...30k on our focus and transmussion is gone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1119773001

I knew this would come to a head at some point. Ford would be better off doing excellent trade in deals for these cars. Give these customers an insane deal to trade back into another ford without DCT. Fusions or escapes or eco sport. Otherwise the only one that wins are the attorneys. 

It's not just the US, Ford is treating these customers just so terribly, in Australia they were forced by the courts to do the right thing and repair a vehicle that seems to be unrepairable. At one point Ford Aust. was trying to charge these customers another $7,000 to trade into a new 1.5 EB Focus with 6F35 auto...

And now they wonder why no one wants Ford's cars and SUVs, the only thing that sells is Ranger and Mustang, all the rest are less than 400/mth each

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

I really don’t understand why Ford doesn’t offer these types of owners a no questions asked full market price buy back and a discount on a new Ford.  You get a new sale and a happy customer.

It's so frustrating to not see a positive outcome to this, our local Ford hasn't even announced new Automatics in Focus since 2015, they let people tear the cars' reputations apart by remaining silent and not admitting they changed because it might be spun a certain way by lawyers...yeesh.

10 hours ago, snooter said:

Our 2015 focus transmission just bit the dust....but ford only sells trucks....rav 4 in driveway soon.....i still have 2 rangers left.....low mile...one going to be traded in soon for f150 or ram.....will never buy another ford car but ford kinda seen to that....ford really screwed the pooch on that transmussion...30k on our focus and transmussion is gone...

So, lets see...you whine and cry about Ford discontinuing cars so you are going to run out and buy a Toyota ......utility vehicle?? Yup...makes perfect sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

Second major transmission debacle !  Remember the CVT ?

I don’t remember the cvt being as bad. Only thing I remember about the cvt was it was heavy, slow, hard to work on and expensive. It could be fixed.  My experience is you either had one needing repair before  50k miles or they lasted 150k+. But the price was so high to repair you just junked the car. Of course the aisin 6 speed was the same. If it needed internal repair, you black boxed it but $6k would exceed the value of the car. 

14 hours ago, snooter said:

Uhhh???  What?

So you complain about Ford only selling trucks, and then are going to get a RAV4?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shocker! And in other news, water is wet. I think we all knew this would happen. In fact, I think 99.9% of us on here were trying to understand Fords logic on this issue. My only question, did this already go through a class action lawsuit before? Not sure how that all works but egg of Ford's face for not putting in the 6 speed from that was attached to the ecoboost Focus and calling it a day. Nope, doubled down on this one.

The "logic" is to make small cars poor quality, so they can "upsell" to truck, in old days a big LTD/T-Bird. Same as Pinto, etc. Dealers love to say "well trucks are better built, so dump the car". [Except when there's a oil panic, then it's we got tiny cars here!]

I got sick of hearing "this time, it's fixed for good", and 15-20 k later, 'chug-chug'. And forever getting messages from Stern law saying "soon, we will get answer!" Dumped it for brand X, but hope I can get something.

2 hours ago, Fordowner said:

What about people who already sold the cars and took a lower trade in from Ford due to the diminished market value caused by the dual clutch transmission

I still get Lemon Law letters about my 2011 Titanium Focus that I haven't owned for almost 5 years.  I suppose I was one of the lucky ones.  I never had an issue with mine and I traded it in with ~60K miles.  I loved that little car, but I got a great deal on my F150 . . . similar to what 630land stated except I had zero issues with my Focus.

I've had two Fiestas with the DCT, a 2011 that was totalled and now a 2017. On the 2011 the clutch pack was replaced under warranty at 95k. At about 110k miles I paid to replace the clutch pack again as well as replace a failed seal, only to have the TCM fail a few months later. The TCM was replaced under warranty. After the TCM replacement the car drove noticeably better, which got me thinking it may have contributed to clutch failure.

It always took two or three trips to get things right on the clutch, and I can't believe they didn't replace the seal when the clutch was replaced the first time.

There were basically three issues with the DCT: a seal, a weak clutch/clutch plate , and the TCM. It seems to me the biggest problem was Ford would only authorize one warranty repair. If the car was in for one of those issues, they should repair all known issues. Don't replace the clutch pack without replacing the seal. Or replace entire tranny with rebuilt one. I asked the service manager about that and he said Ford wouldn't authorize it. It also seemed mechanics didn't know how to work on this transmission, or I wouldn't have had to make multiple trips.

So far the 2017 has been great. It seems the later versions of the DCT have all the issues resolved and repair rates are pretty low. However, the reputation is there and will be hard to shake.

Edited by dmpaul
mis-spoke, clarity

19 hours ago, akirby said:

I really don’t understand why Ford doesn’t offer these types of owners a no questions asked full market price buy back and a discount on a new Ford.  You get a new sale and a happy customer.

Because Finance won't allow it. End of conversation. 

5 hours ago, Fordowner said:

What about people who already sold the cars and took a lower trade in from Ford due to the diminished market value caused by the dual clutch transmission

You’d need hard evidence of diminished value and that’s simply not available.   I traded in our daughter’s 2012 and got a good trade-in value. 

22 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Every owner got screwed by Ford in this situation, why are you so incredulous? I don't blame him for giving Ford the metaphorical finger.

Has nothing to do with Ford - he’s been bemoaning Ford getting rid of sedans and then he goes out and buys a RAV4.  If he wanted a CUV then Ford has plenty of those and he shouldn’t be complaining about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I think Getrag should also bear some financial responsibility for this transmission.  Seals for sure.  Clutches maybe. TCM was probably all Ford.

Depends on whether Ford exceeded the dry clutch torque limits with the 2.0L engine.  It may have been perfectly fine with a smaller engine.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Depends on whether Ford exceeded the dry clutch torque limits with the 2.0L engine.  It may have been perfectly fine with a smaller engine.

Yeah, Ford may have selected the wrong transmission.  But everything I've read stated it was a "joint venture".  So one would think Getrag should have said, "You're going to use that on what??"

Back to original topic. Lawsuit claims Ford did nothing. In reality, Ford did something. They extended warranties and redesigned weak points of transmission. Clearly it was not handled perfectly and poor dealership experience is probably a contributing factor. Nevertheless I think Ford can show evidence they did something.

As far as blaming customers, Ford published a video at one time explaining the DCT idiosyncracies. Is that blaming customers or educating them?

The DCT just isn't as smooth as a tranny with a torque converter. Is VW or Hyundai still using DCT? I know Acura used them briefly then quit due to complaints. The VW used a wet clutch and wasn't as problematic as the dry clutch.

It will be interesting to see where the lawsuit goes.

Ford is not alone with their DCT issues: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/2016-tucson-ix35-models/454074-dangerous-horrible-dct.html

Edited by dmpaul
  • Like 1