Ford debuts new transmission system to power next-gen hybrids

I believe that the 20 Fusion will be the only North American Ford with the 6 speed automatic as well as the 2.5 and 1.5 engines. I would think Ford could save money by eliminating these power plants and going to the 8 speed and 1.5 I-3 (with the 2.0 I-4 remaining available).

25 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I believe that the 20 Fusion will be the only North American Ford with the 6 speed automatic as well as the 2.5 and 1.5 engines. I would think Ford could save money by eliminating these power plants and going to the 8 speed and 1.5 I-3 (with the 2.0 I-4 remaining available).

EcoSport has the 6F transmission.

If you want to count Lincolns both MKZ and Continental still use the 6 speed. 

24 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Another option is to make Fusion beyond MY 2020 hybrid and PHEV only for the U.S. as fuzzymoomoo mentioned.

That will help Ford's CAFE and environmental performance ratings. Ford's non-hybrid passenger cars have traditionally lagged the industry in those respects. And the hybrid/Energi versions are the best Ford Fusions anyway.

UCS automaker.PNG

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Having free access to those patents gives Ford a great opportunity to refine its power-split hybrid system (FWD). Toyota, Ford, and GM are the only automakers using this architecture currently.

Do you know if any Toyota patents apply to Ford's RWD P2 hybrid architecture? It sounds like Ford did most or all the design and engineering work on this system. The new Lexus RWD hybrids use a different architecture. It's a multi stage system that combines the power-split architecture using two motor generators (like other Toyota hybrids) with a 4-speed planetary automatic final drive unit to simulate a 10-speed transmission.

You’ll remember that ford pulled out of the truck JV with Toyota after it realised that  Toyota was miles behind them.

31 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Another option is to make Fusion beyond MY 2020 hybrid and PHEV only for the U.S. as fuzzymoomoo mentioned.

That will help Ford's CAFE and environmental performance ratings. Ford's non-hybrid passenger cars have traditionally lagged the industry in those respects. And the hybrid/Energi versions are the best Ford Fusions anyway.

UCS automaker.PNG

I don't think they'll do away with the gas version before the complete end of production, it just seems to be apparent the emphasis is on the Hybrid which fits the corporate push for hybrid everything.