'20 Explorer Interceptor Hybrid First Drive

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I had a 2.7 never a 3.5. I also had a 3.73 rear end with a 6 speed and 4x4, but the fact you are getting like 35-40% better economy is crazy good. It's also beating the Ranger by a wide margin. A guy I know has a 2018 2.7 and he gets around 21, but his is a 4x4. I'm just going to assume that in real life the 4x4 system drops the fuel economy by a huge percent even when it's running in 2 high.

When the F150 with the most powerful 3.5 engine is beating the Ranger by a wide margin in MPG I can see why sales have been lukewarm. Don't get me wrong I love my little truck, but MPG is not a selling point when the F150 can hit 30 with normal driving these days. No one (even 2wd) is hitting even close to that that in Rangers from all the real world MPG threads I have been following. 20-24 is pretty common with the Ranger. Like I said it's possible the 2.3 or even the 2.7 are just gas guzzlers compared to the 3.5 or 4x4 in the F-150s case cuts MPG by 8-10.

Yet the 2.3 is rated at 30mpg highway in the Mustang ??‍♂️

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well right there is the biggest difference when it comes to trucks vs. passenger cars with regards to MPG. A large truck or SUV has substantially more wind drag and overall suspension and tire drag. It's just how it is.

25 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Well right there is the biggest difference when it comes to trucks vs. passenger cars with regards to MPG. A large truck or SUV has substantially more wind drag and overall suspension and tire drag. It's just how it is.

Same basic drivetrain as the F-150 and Ranger though. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My Mustang (2018 A10 PP) was rated at 29 highway.  The Performance Pack lower the EPA estimates.  I’m averaging 25 mpg overall.  I have a little more than 21,500 miles on it.  The mileage is hand calculated.  Akirby is getting excellent mileage in his F150. 

24mpg is good in fact really good....i average about 14mpg now.....we took delivery of our 19 3 days ago....20 is being discussed....issues in the fleet is power steering system failure....1800 clams for a 50 clam sensor.....you are stuck buying the whole system as no aftermarket yet and ford wont sell just a sensor......we are hearing from others of same issue....threw all parts in box as we were told recall maybe coming soon....i can tell you the panthers we just ran until they wore out.....explorers have done ok but minor stuff like peeling door interior panels....carbon monoxide issue...awd clutch pack issue...power steering unit...not bad really with all the abuse they suffer every day......we are completly phasing out all mopars....top end oil issues (non HEMI engine) being biggest issue on mopars (cam bearings)...cramped interior common complaint...mopar is just a huge headache in the fleet

Edited by snooter