2020 Escape starts at $25,980

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/28/2020-ford-escape-price-25980/

S - $25,980 (1.5l 3 cyl)

SE - $28,190 (1.5l 3 cyl)

SE Sport - $29,350 (hybrid only)

SEL - $30,350 (1.5l 3 cyl standard, 2.0 optional)

titanium - $34,495 (hybrid standard, 2.0 4 cyl optional)

SE Sport seems like a good option. Seems like a no brainer over the SE for the hybrid alone, but it also comes with the 12 inch digital instrument panel.

Curious how people will react to the 3 cylinder, I have to admit I’d be hesitant to buy a vehicle with a 3 cylinder.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 3

Thanks for the pricing info T-dubz sir. I agree, SE Sport is the sweet spot with its hybrid powertrain for less than $30k.

3-cylinder should be OK in Europe and Asia, but in the U.S. it will probably be a tough sell. Neither Ford's nor BMW's 3-cylinder car engines are popular in the U.S.

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/28/2020-ford-escape-price-25980/

S - $25,980 (1.5l 3 cyl)

SE - $28,190 (1.5l 3 cyl)

SE Sport - $29,350 (hybrid only)

SEL - $30,350 (1.5l 3 cyl standard, 2.0 optional)

titanium - $34,495 (hybrid standard, 2.0 4 cyl optional)

SE Sport seems like a good option. Seems like a no brainer over the SE for the hybrid alone, but it also comes with the 12 inch digital instrument panel.

Curious how people will react to the 3 cylinder, I have to admit I’d be hesitant to buy a vehicle with a 3 cylinder.

The bigger 1.5 I-3 EB has a nice muffled growl to it  under acceleration and gives away nothing to the 1.5 I-4 EB.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The bigger 1.5 I-3 EB has a nice muffled growl to it  under acceleration and gives away nothing to the 1.5 I-4 EB.

I hope you are right. I have the 1.5 4-cyl in my fusion. It’s not a bad engine, but I would not call it quick and gas mileage isn’t great. 

4 hours ago, probowler said:

instrument lights looking a lot bluer.... has Ford going away from that classic green (Cyanish?)?

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

My 2018 F150 and most newer Fords are blue.

While they've moved to a slightly more saturated version of it since, "Light Ice Blue" has came in with the 2008 Escape and Focus. 

I'm wondering when this is all going to start leveling out (the cost increase in vehicles).  There has to be a point where Manufacturers have to stop increasing the prices as they are going increasing far faster than inflation is.

2020 Escape Titanium $40k  My 2011 Explorer Limited (every option possible), $43k when I bought it. Yes I get that there are a few things that are offered now that wasn't back then but it's just amazing how expensive these vehicles are getting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I'm wondering when this is all going to start leveling out (the cost increase in vehicles).  There has to be a point where Manufacturers have to stop increasing the prices as they are going increasing far faster than inflation is.

2020 Escape Titanium $40k  My 2011 Explorer Limited (every option possible), $43k when I bought it. Yes I get that there are a few things that are offered now that wasn't back then but it's just amazing how expensive these vehicles are getting.

I’m with ya on that. I saw that the reverse sensing system is only standard on the SEL and above. Does that make any sense? Why does copilot 360 include a lane keeping system, but it doesn’t include a reverse sensing system or cross traffic alert? Everyone I know who has the lane keeping system turns it off, yet I’m forced to pay for it now because it’s standard. I’m sure cross traffic and reverse sensing combined are cheaper than the lane keeping system.

45 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

$43k in 2011 is $48.8k in 2019 U.S. dollars. MY 2020 Escape pricing is in line with others in the class like RAV4, CR-V, and Equinox. Cost increase is very nominal considering the added features.

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Why does copilot 360 include a lane keeping system, but it doesn’t include a reverse sensing system or cross traffic alert? Everyone I know who has the lane keeping system turns it off, yet I’m forced to pay for it now because it’s standard. I’m sure cross traffic and reverse sensing combined are cheaper than the lane keeping system.

Cross traffic alert is included with Co-Pilot 360. 

Ford Co-Pilot360™ includes;
— Auto High Beam Headlamps
— BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic
Alert

— Lane-Keeping System (includes Lane-Keeping Assist, Lane-
Keeping Alert and Driver Alert)
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking
(AEB), Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and
Dynamic Brake Support
— Rear View Camera

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I’m with ya on that. I saw that the reverse sensing system is only standard on the SEL and above. Does that make any sense? Why does copilot 360 include a lane keeping system, but it doesn’t include a reverse sensing system or cross traffic alert? Everyone I know who has the lane keeping system turns it off, yet I’m forced to pay for it now because it’s standard. I’m sure cross traffic and reverse sensing combined are cheaper than the lane keeping system.

Cross traffic alert is standard on all Escapes. 

If people use their turn signals the lane keeping system isn't annoying. Lane keeping is really easy as it uses the same camera as the AEB and High Beam assist, where as rear sensing needs additional sensors.

There is actually a lot of discontenting from the 2017 Escape to the 2020 as well as features on the upper end that Ford doesn't even offer that the competition does. The update will keep current Escape buyers happy and into a new one but not sure it will do much to move people into an Escape, short of the Hybrid. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

There is actually a lot of discontenting from the 2017 Escape to the 2020 as well as features on the upper end that Ford doesn't even offer that the competition does. The update will keep current Escape buyers happy and into a new one but not sure it will do much to move people into an Escape, short of the Hybrid. 

Good points jasonj80 sir. I think Ford's strategies with 2020 Escape are exactly as you mentioned. 1.) Cater to Ford loyalists. 2.) Promote the hybrid version, giving people considering a RAV4 Hybrid a decent alternative. 

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

$43k in 2011 is $48.8k in 2019 U.S. dollars. MY 2020 Escape pricing is in line with others in the class like RAV4, CR-V, and Equinox. Cost increase is very nominal considering the added features.

Cross traffic alert is included with Co-Pilot 360. 

Ford Co-Pilot360™ includes;
— Auto High Beam Headlamps
— BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic
Alert

— Lane-Keeping System (includes Lane-Keeping Assist, Lane-
Keeping Alert and Driver Alert)
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking
(AEB), Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and
Dynamic Brake Support
Rear View Camera

I can assure you I like many are not getting raises every year to cover the cost of inflation for what is almost equal product.  My wife who is in the dental field and rated as one of the top employees of 40+ year after year didnt get a raise for 8 years freezes across the board). Myself it has been 3 years despite the highest of ratings across my district.  

My 15 f350 platinum that I had loaded up that I paid $62k for is still worth $54k 5 years later.  Why is that?  Because of how much these vehicles are increasing in cost brand new.

It's both amazing and sad that I could sell it for $54k, put it down on a 2020 and walk out with a brand new one only owing $25k after getting 5 years out of my 15.

I stand by my comment that this type of pricing for a FORD has to plateau at some point.  $40k escape, $50k edge, $60k explorer, $80k expedition, $95k superduty..  $60k Corsair????

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The 2020 Escape will be positioned well, especially considering Fords plan to bring in a new, affordable nameplate to the market within a few years....

It is positioned to be White Bread middle market appliance boring, make sure people upgrade from existing Escapes and keep people with Fusion Sedans inside for the Ford family. Come 2022 Ford is basically going to have 2 SUV lines, one boring and one premium focused (Off road or Sport) in the volume segments. 

18 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I stand by my comment that this type of pricing for a FORD has to plateau at some point.  $40k escape, $50k edge, $60k explorer, $80k expedition, $95k superduty..  $60k Corsair????

Ford like other businesses prices their products according to what the local market will bear. U.S. market has the lowest new car prices for new cars among any developed country in the world. No VAT, engine displacement taxes, etc. 

For example, in Germany a Ford Kuga Titanium 1.5L EcoBoost 4WD costs over $45,000 USD. And that's with fewer features than a 2019 Escape Titanium in the U.S.

Edited by rperez817

13 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It is positioned to be White Bread middle market appliance boring, make sure people upgrade from existing Escapes and keep people with Fusion Sedans inside for the Ford family. Come 2022 Ford is basically going to have 2 SUV lines, one boring and one premium focused (Off road or Sport) in the volume segments. 

Boring to you, but sells well to Ford, so exciting to them and Wall Street.

Edited by twintornados

12 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Boring and practical are what sells the volume in the market.

Definitely. Ford Motor Company practically invented the concept of boring, practical, appliance like car with the Model T. 2020 Escape's blandness is no problem at all. Previous generation Escapes were all super boring too, and they sold well.

Plus, Ford hasn't messed up the Escape nameplate's reputation like they did with several passenger car nameplates. 2020 Escape should be among the top 5 best selling crossovers in the U.S. overall by next year. The hybrid model may even outsell Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, just as Fusion Hybrid outsells Camry Hybrid nowadays.

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Bingo...someone gets it...nothing to do with the amount of cylinders...its still a 1.5...and probably lighter and better packaged...thank GOD they didn't put the 1.0 in there...as good as that engine is, Ford just mis-used it here...our vehicles are just too heavy, barring the Fiesta for that drive train...…( although a 2.0 straight 6 with two shoehorned together....hmmmm )

48 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Bingo...someone gets it...nothing to do with the amount of cylinders.

Many Blue Oval Forums members understand it. But U.S. consumers in general probably don't. Getting those people to accept a 3-cylinder engine in an Escape will require good sales and marketing techniques by Ford and Ford dealers.

GM has the same challenge with its new 2.7L 4-cylinder engine for 2019 Silverado and Sierra. It's one of the most modern and advanced pickup truck gasoline engines in the industry. But a lot of U.S. pickup truck consumers won't even consider it because the number of cylinders isn't 8 or 6.

Edited by rperez817

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

Boring, practical and cheap.

Not cheap, Value. Can't just be cheap. Americans buyers will pay slightly more if they feel they are getting a better product.

Plus consumer subconscious preferences come into play, even if its not based in fact with the cheapest thing "it is missing something, not as safe or not as of high quality as this one that is slightly more" It is the reason why the cheapest wine on the menu is usually the same cost to the restaurant as the next few that are more expensive to it. Majority of people will  think I'm not taking the cheaper one I'll take the slightly more expensive one that is still in my budget as its tastes better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Blue Oval Forums members understand it. But U.S. consumers in general probably don't. Getting those people to accept a 3-cylinder engine in an Escape will require good sales and marketing techniques by Ford and Ford dealers.

GM has the same challenge with its new 2.7L 4-cylinder engine for 2019 Silverado and Sierra. It's one of the most modern and advanced pickup truck gasoline engines in the industry. But a lot of U.S. pickup truck consumers won't even consider it because the number of cylinders isn't 8 or 6.

Unlike pickup buyers that know what's under the hood; Jennifer, Tyler or Emma just care that it starts and gets them to their Class/Job/Friends, and Britney just bought it because it says Hybrid and she is being good for the environment on her Instagram feed camping with her meat free hot dog.