Ford vs Ferrari trailer

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched the movie with my brother and some of his older kids. I still don't like that fabricated scene with The Deuce, and I still don't like Matt Damon, but I have to admit that it was an excellent movie, and Damon was very good as Ol' Shel, but Christian Bale really stole the show as Ken Miles.

There's one other thing, a scene near the end of the movie, after Le Mans. I knew the history, so I knew what was going to happen, but they handled it so well that I really wasn't ready for it. I can understand why it haunted Shelby for decades.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 8:59 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Oh and Hank the Deuce so scared during a test run when he is riding with Shelby he starts crying?  Fact or fiction?

Fiction, and ham-fisted fiction, at that, IMHO. In the second paragraph of the first chapter in his book, AJ Baime points out the stoicism of Mr. Ford:

Like many wealthy men of his generation, he had learned to show little emotion; his features had a stony quality, as if he was already turning into a bust that was going to sit in a museum.

HFII did get a joyride, but it was with Miles in a Cobra, not Shelby in a GT40.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

Yup. I don't understand why they chose to make him the villain of the piece when he was the one who put the main racing effort in Shelby's hands.

Guess they needed a villain.  Leo Beebe by all accounts was a decent guy and supportive of all the Ford teams. 

11 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Guess they needed a villain.  Leo Beebe by all accounts was a decent guy and supportive of all the Ford teams. 

There was some thought that Beebe was upset that Miles had ignored team orders at Daytona (or was it Sebring) and had forced Gurney to push it too hard and blow his engine (leading to him literally pushing the car across the finish line), but I don't think there's any evidence that he actually tried to do anything to Miles. 

According to Baime's book, when they got the idea for the photo finish, they asked the officials if it could be done, and were originally told that it could be arranged. It wasn't until later that the officials changed their minds, but by then it was too late for Beebe to change the team orders. I guess for Hollyweird, that's enough to gin up some friction that the story really didn't need.

All that said, it's still an excellent flick, and it's well worth seeing for Christian Bale's performance alone.