Another Bronco mule sighting

8 minutes ago, J-150 said:

See Beetle, Mini and Fiat 500 for those lessons in demand.

The Fiat 500 never really sold well in the US at least...the Mini is still going strong and the Beetle is the Beetle, the new gen one lasted 20+ years, which isn't a bad run

Agreed, that is why next time I go to Kauai I will see them in the rental lot.  I do a two week vacation in Kauai every two years and have found that a pick up truck is the best rental. I have had convertibles,  a Jeep, an Escape and the last two times pick ups.  Nothing beats the utility and accessibility of a 4 wheel drive pick up when you want get away from the more popular tourist destinations on the island .

The Fiat 500 never really sold well in the US at least...the Mini is still going strong and the Beetle is the Beetle, the new gen one lasted 20+ years, which isn't a bad run

4 hours ago, pictor said:

Saw my first gladiator on the road in metro Boston.  Bright red with the doors and roof off.  Should sell well with the Bros. 

Wonder if  it will be cross shopped with the mid size pick ups or cannibalize sales from the four door jeep or a little of both.

I think it will be both.   A few folks who need a pickup but like Wranglers and some folks who want a Wrangler with a little more utility.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Fiat 500 never really sold well in the US at least..

My coworker and I got a rental 500 in San Francisco one time just for the heck of it.  And we're not small people.   That was a terrible decision.  Luckily it was only a couple of days.

1 hour ago, pictor said:

Based on the cost differences shown in auto blog comparison it would be hard to justify the cost for the gladiator if your interest is a midsize truck as a truck and not a rock crawler

But that’s the thing about Jeep - it’s so unique from a feature/styling standpoint that they do have buyers willing to pay a premium.  Probably not a huge volume but not small either.  I expect Ford to do the same thing with Bronco.

6 hours ago, J-150 said:

IMO, as hot as Wranglers are, there is still finite demand for extreme styling. I don't see Gladiator doing a consistent 100k per year for the future. It will sell well for a time then level out to something much lower.

Wait, there was ever demand for the Fiat 500?

Sales depth is going to be crucial to Gladiator and Bronco to a lesser degree. I could and probably am wrong about this but I sense that Gladiator being such an extreme product is going to polarise buyers opinions, they’ll either love it or hate it.

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Sales depth is going to be crucial to Gladiator and Bronco to a lesser degree. I could and probably am wrong about this but I sense that Gladiator being such an extreme product is going to polarise buyers opinions, they’ll either love it or hate it.

Saw a gladiator on the road yesterday.  looked weird.  Not a fan.

Edited by Gnostic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But that’s the thing about Jeep - it’s so unique from a feature/styling standpoint that they do have buyers willing to pay a premium.  Probably not a huge volume but not small either.  I expect Ford to do the same thing with Bronco.

That being said I don't expect buyers of mid size trucks to cross shop the Gladiator with the other mid sized offerings.  If you want (not need) the styling of the the Gladiator and nothing else will do, the extra cost is what you pay.  I think the extra cost would turn off buyers who are not committed jeep people.  Just an opinion, no data to support it.

4 minutes ago, pictor said:

That being said I don't expect buyers of mid size trucks to cross shop the Gladiator with the other mid sized offerings.  If you want (not need) the styling of the the Gladiator and nothing else will do, the extra cost is what you pay.  I think the extra cost would turn off buyers who are not committed jeep people.  Just an opinion, no data to support it.

That's probably fair.  I guess I'm saying the number of folks who won't mind paying extra may be slightly larger than what you're thinking.  But it's still just a SWAG either way.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I personally think Gladiator is much more of a "Jeep" product than Wrangler, in that I think Gladiator appeals more to strictly core Jeep buyers than something like Wrangler, which can have a broader appeal.

58 minutes ago, Gnostic said:

Saw a gladiator on the road yesterday.  looked weird.  Not a fan.

They had one in the mall the other day.  Now it was customized by a local Jeep customizer, but I was still able to see it.  It's quite long, and the bed is VERY shallow.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wait, there was ever demand for the Fiat 500?

Yes there was a small blip for this new Italian cute car hitting our shores that was raved about by Michael Schumacher. All of the "I'm going hiking in Europe" idiots were in line for it.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I personally think Gladiator is much more of a "Jeep" product than Wrangler, in that I think Gladiator appeals more to strictly core Jeep buyers than something like Wrangler, which can have a broader appeal.

They had one in the mall the other day.  Now it was customized by a local Jeep customizer, but I was still able to see it.  It's quite long, and the bed is VERY shallow.

The Jeep guys I know all think the Gladiator is way to long/big and way to expensive, they want a 2 door version. Even in Detroit I have only seen 1 Gladiator on the road and the dealerships are fully stocked with them. (local Jeep dealers have way more Gladiator's than the Ford dealers have Rangers) 4 Door Wranglers are another story, those are closing in on the $59 Equinox territory for market penetration. 

• 2 weeks later...