Ford's Plan To Boost Mustang Sales Will Make Buyers Happy

33 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This is actually why I was asking.  Some shifts (downshifts especially) on mine seem to.....lurch?.....for lack of a better term.  As if it sort of hesitates to shift mid shift.  Not horribly, and I don't know if it's perceptible to passengers, but I notice it.

I should do rev-matched downshifts and should be smooth.   I have heard of a few cases where the engine rpm "hangs" briefly during downshifts causing a bit of a lurch as the rev-matching takes place.    I thought that was more prevalent with the Ecoboost, though.     I   I have been extremely pleased with the way mine shifts. (knock on wood)   If I didn't look at the gear position in the instrument cluster, I don't think I would even know it downshifts.    

8 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

those usually accurate sources have lost their touch.

Ford is keeping a lot of future stuff very close to the vest compared to 10-15 years ago. Why do you think there still hasn't been a ton leaked out about the Bronco, and why we STILL don't know the true capability of the new CD6 platform? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford is keeping a lot of future stuff very close to the vest compared to 10-15 years ago. Why do you think there still hasn't been a ton leaked out about the Bronco, and why we STILL don't know the true capability of the new CD6 platform? 

Yeah I find that kinda nuts since its out in the "wild" now.

2 hours ago, brucelinc said:

There have also been complaints of harsh engagements and rough shifts with the A10 in Mustangs.   PCM reflashes usually fix those issues.   It seems that many Mustang owners complain loudly and often before actually taking their cars to the dealer for a fix.   

How much of that is the Coyote vs. the Ecoboost? I've heard some rumblings about the 2.3 in the Ranger and Mustang being a little harsh with the 10R. Theory I've heard is something about how the lower torque interacts with it. 

U just dumped 40k into a stang and thats not even upper performance models..yea they are going to publicly complain.....so would everybody else...part of the issue is the massive proliferation of mustang forums....it just takes off from there....

3 hours ago, snooter said:

U just dumped 40k into a stang and thats not even upper performance models..yea they are going to publicly complain.....so would everybody else...part of the issue is the massive proliferation of mustang forums....it just takes off from there....

Most times it's the same people on different forums but with different user names...

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Not to mention I'm pretty sure there's been some in depth analysis published about it both from ford and outside sources. 

I wonder if there's a CD6 Edge planned as a SWB bobtail companion to the Explorer.

56 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if there's a CD6 Edge planned as a SWB bobtail companion to the Explorer.

That would make sense, but I think that depends on future product plans. If the next Fusion becomes some sort of high beltline sedan/coupe/crossover thing-it would be roughly the size of the current Edge. I'd also assume it would be FWD/AWD

Making the next gen Edge RWD would slot it more as the gas/hybrid powered "Mustang" crossover and Model E as the BEV. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snooter said:

After being active on Lincoln and SHO forums for years and then getting involved with Mustang forums and clubs a couple of years ago, I see a HUGE difference in how the different types of buyers react to an issue.   Not to paint with an overly broad brush but the Mustang group tends to be much more vocal, whiny and "herd mentality" than the others when it comes to complaining on social media.    They also seem to believe more of what they hear or read without doing proper research.    Just my observations.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Insiders are saying it's CD6 but FWD.  Not sure why they would do that instead of just a smaller Explorer like you said, but that's what was reported.

17 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I should do rev-matched downshifts and should be smooth.   I have heard of a few cases where the engine rpm "hangs" briefly during downshifts causing a bit of a lurch as the rev-matching takes place.    I thought that was more prevalent with the Ecoboost, though.     I   I have been extremely pleased with the way mine shifts. (knock on wood)   If I didn't look at the gear position in the instrument cluster, I don't think I would even know it downshifts.    

I feel like mine used to be smoother but has gotten harsher recently.  I'll have to search/look into it more to see if it's worth taking in or not.  Sometimes it'll shift smoothly (not noticing it like you say), and others it'll be more rough.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Insiders are saying it's CD6 but FWD.  Not sure why they would do that instead of just a smaller Explorer like you said, but that's what was reported.

I still think it'd be nice to see Nautilus go RWD, which would basically mean Edge would too.  Unless the platform truly is as flexible as is rumored and they could run both a FWD Edge and RWD Nautilus down the same line.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I still think it'd be nice to see Nautilus go RWD, which would basically mean Edge would too.  Unless the platform truly is as flexible as is rumored and they could run both a FWD Edge and RWD Nautilus down the same line.

That's what I mean. The platform is now out and open in the public eye and we still don't really know what it's capable of. It's a shift from past practices. I remember when Fusion debuted CD4 and there was a pretty detailed write up in Motor Trend of all places right after it was revealed. Well before production began.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Correct and looking at it from a logistics stand point, having Oakville as a CD6 plant adds both scales of efficiency and may also offer production balancing opportunities, I just hope that Ford stays mindful of  today's needs as well as planning for the future.

CD4 Edge is a bust in Europe and global RHD markets, so why not change to CD6 and attract more North American buyers.

8 hours ago, brucelinc said:

After being active on Lincoln and SHO forums for years and then getting involved with Mustang forums and clubs a couple of years ago, I see a HUGE difference in how the different types of buyers react to an issue.   Not to paint with an overly broad brush but the Mustang group tends to be much more vocal, whiny and "herd mentality" than the others when it comes to complaining on social media.    They also seem to believe more of what they hear or read without doing proper research.    Just my observations.....

I would tend to agree with this...they are a whiney bunch (but some complaints are legit - (frickin garbage focus trans as an example)...days are long gone when we use to buy cheap 65 fastbacks and trash the hell out of them on the nearest pavement at nite...i noticed the change in the 90's....they started to think they were privledged....i walked away and by this time it was easy (daughters aint an easy bunch at times)...my old junk Scout i had to wait 30 years to buy and my junk hodakas have escalated in price now to insane levels...i bought em all cheap 

I just do not want to see the fusionization of the stang...but this retro era is on the wane...it is probably time the stang gets with the times and leave the past behind..fords thinking they can run the stang unrefreshed for a decade like was done with the fox bodies is however not a smart marketing move.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's what I mean. The platform is now out and open in the public eye and we still don't really know what it's capable of. It's a shift from past practices. I remember when Fusion debuted CD4 and there was a pretty detailed write up in Motor Trend of all places right after it was revealed. Well before production began.

I guess, any new CD6 means one less CD4/C2 product - that shift in dynamic to CD6 =  becoming US centric versus ROW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I guess, any new CD6 means one less CD4/C2 product - that shift in dynamic to CD6 =  becoming US centric versus ROW

Which, for this guy this lives the ROW (England) , is a real shame. Mustang is likely the only CD6 vehicle we'll get. Edge is about to be culled here as it just doesn't sell (not surprising, as it doesn't offer much more than the Kuga.....as costs LOTS more). I understand the new Explorer will be ROW......well, with the exception of RHD markets like ours. I honestly think that's a mistake as 7-seat SUVs are very popular here.

Anyway......enough of that.......when's the next Mustang update coming lol

On 6/21/2019 at 6:00 PM, jpd80 said:

How do the German SUVs/crossovers sell in Europe?  Could a RWD Edge do better than the CD4 version?

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

How do the German SUVs/crossovers sell in Europe?  Could a RWD Edge do better than the CD4 version?

They  dominate the market...........but that's more to do with badge snobbery than the fact they are well engineered SUVs. A RWD Edge would have to be MUCH cheaper than the German equivilents to stand a chance.

Its one reason the Mustang has been a huge success over here (UK/Europe). It offers the full-fat V8 experience for 2/3rds the cost of an M4/AMG Merc/Audi RS etc.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

For the prices Ford was charging for the 2.0 diesel Edge in Europe and UK, the German SUVs looked like dead set bargains. You guys are not aware of, in Europe and ROW, any Ford mid size or larger comes at scalper prices.

In places like Australia, you can get  Holden (GMC) Acadia or Toyota Kluger (Highlander) for similar money. Ford only has the one 2.0 diesel engine through developed to Euro/ROW LHD and RHD, the 2.0 EB was never considered...

Edited by jpd80

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

For the prices Ford was charging for the 2.0 diesel Edge in Europe and UK, the German SUVs looked like dead set bargains. You guys are not aware of, in Europe and ROW, any Ford mid size or larger comes at scalper prices.

In places like Australia, you can get  Holden (GMC) Acadia or Toyota Kluger (Highlander) for similar money. Ford only has the one 2.0 diesel engine through developed to Euro/ROW LHD and RHD, the 2.0 EB was never considered...

So basically a self-fulfilling prophecy?  "It won't sell", but it won't sell because it's too high priced/doesn't offer what people would want?

On 6/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, rmc523 said:

So basically a self-fulfilling prophecy?  "It won't sell", but it won't sell because it's too high priced/doesn't offer what people would want?

Ford is really good at self fulfilling prophecies. Don't updated your cars for 8 years & " We will discontinue sedans because they aren't selling!".