GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

silvrsvt

15 hours ago, Extreme4x4 said:

Hmmmmm................... incentives are $500 less than Ram, but $1500 more than F150. 

They can't even make any inroads against the oldest truck on the market, with $1500 more of incentives?

Bubububububuuuu they don't have any short bed regular cabs in stock!  That'll make sales skyrocket!

The part about how GM is deliberately sabotaging its own fleet sales on the new truck is peak-GM nonsense. This is a fullsize truck... it is SUPPOSED to have big fleet sale component that drives profit. I predict the next big thing at GM will be limiting fleets sales of its fullsize vans and medium duty trucks too so it can brag about the low fleet sale % to wall street... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Yes, just like Ford truck buyers since 1997.

It might have been longer then that-I'm thinking when they went over the twin headlight look its had for nearly the past 20-25 years...and it hasn't changed all that much since then. I can't remember the last time that GM actually had a critically acclaimed pickup truck...the past 2-3 gens have been met with lukewarm reception from the press and it is manifesting itself in lost sales and being in 3rd place now. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I predict the next big thing at GM will be limiting fleets sales of its fullsize vans and medium duty trucks too so it can brag about the low fleet sale % to wall street... ?

A certain Texas fella would be happy......

• Haha 3

what I did find out was the GM is moving away from making as many cheap single cab pick ups and using the production space for more crew cabs. Obviously, selling a product mix more in line with  F150 is proving much harder for GM, that and the fact it has spent billions enticing crew cab buyers to instead purchase full sized SUVs.

To me, that's the big difference between Ford  and GM coming out of the recession, Ford doubled down on F150 and SD Crew cabs early in the piece and let the Expedition/Navigator drift and get very stale. GM did the opposite, it went after more single cab sales and encouraged buyers to purchase full sized SUVs , effectively splitting potential crew cab sales. The thing is, GM's four plant strategy was able to get the bigger variety of products out more quickly than Ford's three plants running virtually flat out.

Edited by jpd80

I think GM is suffering a hangover from the bailout.   Life was good with lower debt and no taxes but now reality has set back in and they're having to cut corners.

More proof that they didn't go far enough in their bankruptcy reorganization/downsizing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think GM is suffering a hangover from the bailout.   Life was good with lower debt and no taxes but now reality has set back in and they're having to cut corners.

More proof that they didn't go far enough in their bankruptcy reorganization/downsizing.

Absolutely agree. The positive effects of the bailout are fading away and their back to old GM again.

Also - remember how some of us were bitching about how much Caddy was spending on new platforms (drunken sailor comes to mind)?   Now look at the XT6.  That's what happens when you blow your wad eating out at fancy steakhouses all the time and now you can only afford a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The big fail of the bailout was that it left far too much of the "old" GM culture in place.

Some of the moves GM has made make sense - finally taking decisive action on the European operations - but others leave me scratching my head. The press and buyers have been carping about poor quality interiors for years now on various vehicles (not just with GM vehicles), so one would think management would have paid heed. And changing the Cadillac ATS into the "new" CT4 reminds me of poor old AMC changing the 1970 Rebel into the 1971 Matador.

The above replies while interesting are off the mark as to why Silverado sales are down.  I don't expect Ford guys to hang out on Chevy boards-so I guess it's excusable. The main reason why sales on down-is that the redesign is pretty much universally hated even by those loyal to Chevy trucks.

The interior-while miles behind Ford and RAM-is the least of the issue. You don't go near the truck to look at the interior if the front of the truck is hideous.

• Thanks 1