2020 Explorer Reviews

I just read the Autoblog review, and it seems that they like the powertrains, found the steering/suspension to be kind of numb and "springy", they loved the styling, but weren't stunned by the interior materials and various issues involving the back row.

While I don't see the criticisms as damning, I do hope that the ST answers the steering/suspension gripes somewhat.  The hybrid appears to be more about torque than mpg, which is both kind of refreshing but potentially damaging to perceptions.

I find it odd that Ford didn't go all-in regarding USB connectivity throughout the vehicle, as that's become the new "cupholders" standard for interiors.

All in all, I look very forward to the ST reviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZanatWork said:

I just read the Autoblog review, and it seems that they like the powertrains, found the steering/suspension to be kind of numb and "springy", they loved the styling, but weren't stunned by the interior materials and various issues involving the back row.

While I don't see the criticisms as damning, I do hope that the ST answers the steering/suspension gripes somewhat.  The hybrid appears to be more about torque than mpg, which is both kind of refreshing but potentially damaging to perceptions.

I find it odd that Ford didn't go all-in regarding USB connectivity throughout the vehicle, as that's become the new "cupholders" standard for interiors.

All in all, I look very forward to the ST reviews.

Agreed with your points.  I also found it odd C&D complainted about the hybrid's transition from gas to electric and braking feel when both other reviews I've read said it was nearly seemless and felt pretty normal braking wise.

It's also disappointing the third row sits so low resulting in that knees in the chest seating position, but most don't use the 3rd row that much anyway.  We knew it already, but I still find the fact that captains chairs are standard on most trims odd, as it's typically the option, not having them standard with a bench option.

Completely agree about the USB thing, especially considering Expy/Navigator have USB points throughout in all 3 rows.

The Platinum really should have the CCD system for the suspension system. (Considering it is 60K) Also odd is that the 12.3" LCD gauges cluster isn't available on the hybrid Explorer but is standard on the Hybrid Escape, and not having UBS's is just odd.  Good reviews and huge improvement but seem that late cost cutting happened on the program. 

Also Fuel Economy for the Hybrid looks to be about 28MPG. Assuming a 17.9 gas tank and 500 mile range, 

Edited by jasonj80

36 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The Platinum really should have the CCD system for the suspension system. (Considering it is 60K) Also odd is that the 12.3" LCD gauges cluster isn't available on the hybrid Explorer but is standard on the Hybrid Escape

But Titanium is the TOP Escape model (there is no Limited or ST), so it makes sense.   Hybrid is a Limited and only the ST and Platinum gets the 12.3".

Autoblog said indicated mileage was  23.1 mpg for the hybrid and said other testers mentioned similiar mileage. Definitely disappointing if that turns out to be representative. It would make the hybrid option very expensive given mileage is similiar to the 2.3. I’m betting the 3.3 isn’t much faster than the 2.3. 

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The 2020 Ford Explorer Is a Huge Improvement Over the Old One

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28072325/2020-ford-explorer-drive/

It doesn't take much to be a huge improvement over the previous gen Explorer. As Car and Driver said, that vehicle had a hack job of a platform so old and rickety it was a "fossil by automotive standards". 

Edited by rperez817

56 minutes ago, pictor said:

Unbroken in new engine with unknown and uncontrolled driving conditions makes any comparisons unreliable.   

I’m guessing that Ford (and all other auto makers) present their cars to testers in the best possible light. I bet the cars made available were broken in and well checked over mechanically before the testers got them. 

31 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I’m guessing that Ford (and all other auto makers) present their cars to testers in the best possible light. I bet the cars made available were broken in and well checked over mechanically before the testers got them. 

You’d lose that bet.  Ford is notorious for giving testers poor vehicles.  In the past at least.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

It doesn't take much to be a huge improvement over the previous gen Explorer. As Car and Driver said, that vehicle had a hack job of a platform so old and rickety it was a "fossil by automotive standards". 

And much of that is just hyperbole to sell magazines. If the post 2010 Explorer was that bad, it wouldn't sell in the numbers it did.

Yes, the D3 has had issues, but its far from being "bad" or "awful"

3 hours ago, akirby said:

You’d lose that bet.  Ford is notorious for giving testers poor vehicles.  In the past at least.

Exactly why we often see disappointment from some reviews, maybe they should “prep” media cars like GM

16 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Good question - especially given the price premium. Car & Driver also grumbled about the hybrid’s lack of refinement. 

And Autoblog said the opposite - that it was smooth and had a barely noticeable transition from gas to electric.