2020 Explorer Reviews

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

And Autoblog said the opposite - that it was smooth and had a barely noticeable transition from gas to electric.

Sounds like we need a member of this forum to test drive an Explorer Hybrid when it comes out. :)

Ford's power-split hybrid power Ford (Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi) is very smooth and responsive. Hopefully new hybrid sytem for Explorer is just as smooth as Autoblog says.

Anyone know if the Explorer Hybrid architecture is parallel with single motor & 2 clutches (P2), or like Honda's old IMA system which is also parallel single motor but does not have a clutch between the electric motor and IC engine?

22 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Anyone know if the Explorer Hybrid architecture is parallel with single motor & 2 clutches (P2), or like Honda's old IMA system which is also parallel single motor but does not have a clutch between the electric motor and IC engine?

The TFC video has info about that..I believe its a single motor with two clutches 

I read Autoweek's review and they are claiming the Explorer is on the Mustang Platform...has anyone confirmed that or is it a clean sheet design inspired by the Mustang?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

The TFC video has info about that..I believe its a single motor with two clutches 

I read Autoweek's review and they are claiming the Explorer is on the Mustang Platform...has anyone confirmed that or is it a clean sheet design inspired by the Mustang?

It's a clean sheet design that also (supposedly) supports FWD, but I'm sure a lot of the parts were based on the mustang since it's nearly the same size and unibody RWD.  It would be silly not to use what you have as a starting point.

It has to be a single motor with two clutches since you can engage either the ICE alone, Electric motor alone or both in tandem.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It's a clean sheet design that also (supposedly) supports FWD, but I'm sure a lot of the parts were based on the mustang since it's nearly the same size and unibody RWD.  It would be silly not to use what you have as a starting point.

It has to be a single motor with two clutches since you can engage either the ICE alone, Electric motor alone or both in tandem.

I doubt you can engage the hybrid motor alone without the ICE.  It only has 44 hp.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

As far as I know the new Explorer has nothing to do with the S550 Mustang architecture, though it wouldn't surprise me if they used lessons learned from the IRS in the Mustang. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Did you not watch the video??

Now I did.  Thanks.  I suspect though with 44 hp and the small battery  it won't stay all electric for long.  I am waiting on the specs of the Aviator with the PHEV.  To be truly all electric it is going to need a lot more hp to be able to drive in electric only mode - (does the Explorer have that mode?).  Seems like this mild set up would be easy to add to a number of vehicles - F150 etc. and a great way to boost fleet mpg.

2 hours ago, msm859 said:

I doubt you can engage the hybrid motor alone without the ICE.  It only has 44 hp.

Huh?? You do know that many tugs pull airplanes with engines that only have 40 to 50 hp.  At a rated 221 lbft, the EM would hit the rated 44hp at about 1000 rpm, the 3.3l will be barely above idle at that point.  The electric motor is plenty sufficient to propel the Explorer in electric only mode, the problem will be that you will exhaust the battery fairly quickly.

36 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Now I did.  Thanks.  I suspect though with 44 hp and the small battery  it won't stay all electric for long.  I am waiting on the specs of the Aviator with the PHEV.  To be truly all electric it is going to need a lot more hp to be able to drive in electric only mode - (does the Explorer have that mode?).  Seems like this mild set up would be easy to add to a number of vehicles - F150 etc. and a great way to boost fleet mpg.

Well it’s a HEV not a PHEV so it’s not meant to be driven in EV only mode for very long.  And the Aviator GT obviously has a larger battery.

Just to expand on electric power, the EM's are rated torque and rated Hp, but the actual output is controlled by the amount of current you apply to the motor.  So when they say the Aviator is 450+/600+ doesn't mean it will have a 50 hp / 200 lbft electric motor.  It will probably be something higher than the Euro Explorer which is rated at 99 hp and probably somewhere around 210ish lbft on the torque rating (it wasn't specified in the materials I could find on it).

16 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Huh?? You do know that many tugs pull airplanes with engines that only have 40 to 50 hp.  At a rated 221 lbft, the EM would hit the rated 44hp at about 1000 rpm, the 3.3l will be barely above idle at that point.  The electric motor is plenty sufficient to propel the Explorer in electric only mode, the problem will be that you will exhaust the battery fairly quickly.

Well that might be enough hp to move something at slow speeds but I am looking at the Aviator's ability to actually "drive" in electric only mode.  The Chrysler Pacifica PHEV has 2 electric motors totaling 198 hp and  range of over 30 miles. Not sure how difficult it is to put a 150-200 hp motor in the same place as the 44 hp motor?  (Although the claim is the Euro Explorer PHEV has a @100 hp electric motor).

On 6/19/2019 at 3:24 AM, ice-capades said:

Except the Base Explorer is Fleet Only!

Apparently that is changing:

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/355250/2020-ford-explorer-first-drive/

UPDATED: Ford responded to our questions about the base Explorer and its price, indicating it'd be available in a few months for both fleet and retail customers. This post has been updated to account for the new information.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 7:07 AM, msm859 said:

Well that might be enough hp to move something at slow speeds but I am looking at the Aviator's ability to actually "drive" in electric only mode.  The Chrysler Pacifica PHEV has 2 electric motors totaling 198 hp and  range of over 30 miles. Not sure how difficult it is to put a 150-200 hp motor in the same place as the 44 hp motor?  (Although the claim is the Euro Explorer PHEV has a @100 hp electric motor).

Maybe it's not a 44 hp motor, that looks to be the amount of HP it adds to the ICE at Max HP.

I'm betting its a lot more on its own or am I way off the beam here.......

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe it's not a 44 hp motor, that looks to be the amount of HP it adds to the ICE at Max HP.

I'm betting its a lot more on its own or am I way off the beam here.......

Yes, I am hoping it is over 150 hp for the electric motor.  The 3.0 ICE might actually be the derated 365 hp motor.  Surprising it is taking so long to get final details.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I forget how many builds is that with max allowable TGWs?

I don't know what that means

All I know is to get ok to buy takes 5 consecutive days of no major errors. Not sure what the definition of Major is and I don't think there's a limit to how much can be built before that. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

All I know is to get ok to buy takes 5 consecutive days of no major errors. Not sure what the definition of Major is and I don't think there's a limit to how much can be built before that. 

Major errors are stuff that can't be corrected while the line moves along, so thanks for corroboration, TGWs are quality things gone wrong on vehicle, kind of the same but used to track drifts in production quality....

11 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Major errors are stuff that can't be corrected while the line moves along, so thanks for corroboration,

By that definition a burned out tail light bulb could be considered major since something like that wouldn't even be caught until the very end of the line when they test the vehicles. I don't know what the threshold is for Ford to consider it a major issue. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

By that definition a burned out tail light bulb could be considered major since something like that wouldn't even be caught until the very end of the line when they test the vehicles. I don't know what the threshold is for Ford to consider it a major issue. 

Just guessing but I would assume it's anything that would have to be repaired before shipping the vehicle.

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well we are in week 8 of production and there is still no OK to buy?  Are they building Aviators everyday or just in batches?  Someone must have some inside information.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Just guessing but I would assume it's anything that would have to be repaired before shipping the vehicle.

That's literally everything....

A car assembly line is basically organized chaos. By its nature you’re never going to get 1 day of 100% perfect ready to go cars, let alone 5. That's why they have repair bays in the plant. There has to be some kind of definition according to Ford about what a major flaw is.