2020 Explorer Reviews

21 hours ago, bossman351 said:

Yesterday day on 75 south around Monroe and in and around Dearborn I saw a boatload of Explorers being driven around. So maybe shipping soon.

Ford has a warehouse in Monroe right off I-75, exit 14 I believe with plenty of parking. Probably storing them there for what ever reason.
The warehouse use to be Monroe Stamping Plant until 1997 when it became Visteon.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

They can play it off that way but I am willing to bet it is for CO.  Ford redesigned the exhausts on the 5th gen for those experiencing the exhaust smell OR/AND CO issues.  They were a chrome tip but had a hole just like this and it was a turn down (fake).  My $$$ is that Ford continued this on the 2020 to prevent any issues or worries for people aware of the 5th gen issues.

And you can bet Ford would never own up to or admit it.

Edited by blwnsmoke

14 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

They can play it off that way but I am willing to bet it is for CO

I haven’t looked closely at the Explorer exhaust, but wouldn’t dumping them downwards build CO up also? If anything it would be trapped under the car instead of being forced out the rear. 

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I haven’t looked closely at the Explorer exhaust, but wouldn’t dumping them downwards build CO up also? If anything it would be trapped under the car instead of being forced out the rear. 

At least on the 5th gen, with the exhaust going straight out, the wind effect swirled it around very badly around the tailgate.  In the winter time, you couldn't see out the back glass during heavy acceleration until the vehicle warmed up.  Having it point downward eliminated a lot of that swirling around reducing the chance of it being sucked in IMO.

Even the 19s on some of the Explorers now have the turn down exhaust behind the bumper (just like what Ford did to the PUIs for at no charge).

The fact Ford did it to Civilian vehicles (without quad tips) and PIUs, there is no way Ford did it for "carbon buildup on the tips".

Here is the 5th gen modification pics and TSB.  Too much of a coincidence..  

I am not knocking Ford taking extra steps to protect customers but dont spin it in a direction that is not the truth.  I would respect Ford if they said "Customer safety is of utmost importance and we designed the Explorer exhaust system to exit as far away from the tailgate as possible" or something in those regards. 

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2617/exhaust-odor-in-vehicle-2011-2015-ford-explorer/3

Screenshot_20190629-121823_Chrome.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The problem is the negative pressure at the bumper pulls it into the cabin.  This probably keeps it away from that.