Ford And Lincoln Sit In Top Five In J.D. Power Survey

http://fordauthority.com/2019/06/ford-and-lincoln-sit-in-top-five-in-j-d-power-survey/

"Two Ford vehicles ranked at the top of their segments including the Ford Ranger for midsize pickups and the Ford Fusion for midsize cars. It’s still surprising that considering how well received the Fusion is, in general, the car is being discontinued in the States."

It's good to see Ford is doing well with launch quality on the new Ranger. That has not always been their strength with new models in the past. It's also sad to see Ford giving up on one of their highest quality and most respected nameplates the Fusion.

Good job Ford.

My family and I have been using our new '19 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab for our lawncare and landscaping business for almost a couple weeks now. It has been 100% trouble free. Shift quality of the 10-speed automatic is rough at times, but I don't consider that a defect.

Ford rushed U.S. Ranger to market, so they had no choice but to use the nearly decade old T6 Ranger sold elsewhere. J.D. Power confirmed that this approach was beneficial for quality.  2019 Ranger is effectively a "carryover" vehicle, not a new or redesigned one. Carryover vehicles overall had higher ratings in the IQS compared to new or redesigned vehicles.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good job Ford.

My family and I have been using our new '19 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab for our lawncare and landscaping business for almost a couple weeks now. It has been 100% trouble free. Shift quality of the 10-speed automatic is rough at times, but I don't consider that a defect.

Ford rushed U.S. Ranger to market, so they had no choice but to use the nearly decade old T6 Ranger sold elsewhere. J.D. Power confirmed that this approach was beneficial for quality.  2019 Ranger is effectively a "carryover" vehicle, not a new or redesigned one. Carryover vehicles overall had higher ratings in the IQS compared to new or redesigned vehicles.

It wasn't rushed, it was simply the timing of the request came after the final MCE was locked in for global T6, the more time spent on a US Ranger, the more time it would have delayed the Bronco. There's something like three or four T6 projects going on at any time - straight after US Ranger, there was the Ranger Upgrade for South Africa /Europe that included the 2.0 Diesel and 10AT with discreet difference in packaging to the Asia pacific region Ranger.

At handover of Ranger, the US was simply floored at the immensity of the T6 project and how many changes have to be managed across so many markets, over 100 crash tests were needed in the original T6 to cover all variations across all regions. \

Edited by jpd80

This is the problem with 'Rankings'  It is splitting hairs...

The entire JD Power List is a statistical tie.  The winner with .63 problems per vehicle and the last place with 1.3 problems.  You cannot have .63 problems with a vehicle you either have problem or not, nor can you have 1.3 problems, they both round to about 1 problem per vehicle.

At he end of the day, for the vehicle you really want, would you care if it had a 63% chance of a problem per vehicle, vs. 1 problem?

What are the problems, that is what really matters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

This is the problem with 'Rankings'  It is splitting hairs...

The entire JD Power List is a statistical tie.  The winner with .63 problems per vehicle and the last place with 1.3 problems.  You cannot have .63 problems with a vehicle you either have problem or not, nor can you have 1.3 problems, they both round to about 1 problem per vehicle.

At he end of the day, for the vehicle you really want, would you care if it had a 63% chance of a problem per vehicle, vs. 1 problem?

What are the problems, that is what really matters.

Multiple the problems/vehicle by the number of vehicles sold.  If each sold 1,000,000 vehicles, then it comes out to 630,000 problems vs. 1,300,000 problems.  There you can start the see the difference a seemingly insignificant number represents.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Multiple the problems/vehicle by the number of vehicles sold.  If each sold 1,000,000 vehicles, then it comes out to 630,000 problems vs. 1,300,000 problems.  There you can start the see the difference a seemingly insignificant number represents.

True but from the standpoint of a buyer it means on average they’ll all make one trip back to the dealer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Ford/Lincoln and Hyundai/Kia have the best infotainment systems on the market. 

Impressed with the Ranger for a new vehicle, and hopefully they can keep up those numbers. This next year will be more of a tell. Edge/Nautilus/Ranger were the only updated products for 2019. 2020 with the all new Explorer/Aviator showing up soon,  Escape/Corsair in mid fall, along with the new small SUV, F-150, Bronco, BEV, Mustang coming in the next year its going to be an accomplishment to keep those numbers high which I really hope they do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

True but from the standpoint of a buyer it means on average they’ll all make one trip back to the dealer.

But still, 1.3 trips/vehicle vs. .63/vehicle is, on average, twice as many trips to the dealer per vehicle.  You really can't look at numbers like this on an individual basis, you have to look at the big picture, and the worst will have twice as many trips to the dealer as the best.

But, in the end, all cars as an individual car are pretty good these days.

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford/Lincoln and Hyundai/Kia have the best infotainment systems on the market. 

I had a Hyundai rental back in March-the infotainment system seemed almost identical to my wife's 2017 Escape. Then again Hyundai/Kia have always had switch gear that I found very similar to Ford products.  

10 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

But still, 1.3 trips/vehicle vs. .63/vehicle is, on average, twice as many trips to the dealer per vehicle.  You really can't look at numbers like this on an individual basis, you have to look at the big picture, and the worst will have twice as many trips to the dealer as the best.

But, in the end, all cars as an individual car are pretty good these days.

In overall terms yes, it's twice as many so for ranking purposes that's accurate.  But let's take an extreme case:   We both buy new vehicles and you have one problem and I have four.  We both make one trip to the dealer and they're all fixed.   I don't really care whether it was 1 or 4, all I care about was I had to take it back in.   If it results in multiple trips then that becomes an issue for owners.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

In overall terms yes, it's twice as many so for ranking purposes that's accurate.  But let's take an extreme case:   We both buy new vehicles and you have one problem and I have four.  We both make one trip to the dealer and they're all fixed.   I don't really care whether it was 1 or 4, all I care about was I had to take it back in.   If it results in multiple trips then that becomes an issue for owners.

So save all your problems up for 1 visit at 35,999 miles and you'll be happy, right?  :)