2015 Focus SE Transmission

shotwell

I'm sure this is a topic that has been beaten to death here, but I need some help.  I have a 2015 Focus SE hatchback that I love, but the transmission is nothing but trouble.  This was my only vehicle for a few years and I could not put it in the shop to be repaired.  I now have a 2nd vehicle and can get this one fixed, but I have about 73,000 miles on it and it is way past the factory warranty.  This transmission shudders HARD when pulling away from a stoplight or stop sign.  You can feel the transmission slip into gear.  I feel like the clutch is going out because I never took it in to get it looked at while it was under warranty.  I read up on the class action settlement, but according to the Ford Customer Service Rep I spoke with on the phone, only the TCM is covered by the warranty extension.

Ford told me that I need to go to the dealership and have them do a diagnostic on it, and if it isn't the TCM I am responsible for any and all costs for all repairs and the diagnostic fee.  This seems like poor customer service from Ford.  They have a well known, very well documented issue, but they don't seem to want to take care of the people that spent good money on their vehicles.

Is there anyone out there that can help me understand the settlement?  Can anyone help me get in touch with someone at Ford that actually cares about Customer Service, because the reps I have spoken with didn't? 

Thanks

You sound like you might need a clutch, but I can't tell over the interweb. A TCM issue will usually set a check engine light or a "service transmission" fault message. The only way to know for sure is to properly diagnose it. The clutch adaptive/touch points have to be reset with a scan tool and then a drive cycle has to be performed. It's not rocket surgery, but experience with the DPS6 is a must, as is knowing what to look for inside the clutch housing during the repair in addition to just slapping a clutch in. Has it had recall 18S32 performed? Have you ever had anything done to it related to the clutch? Have you tried scuffing the clutch?

If you are a regular customer in good standing with your dealership, they can try and get help for you from Ford, but from my experience, it isn't gonna happen. I've had newer cars with lower miles than yours in my bay and they said no, or only offered a couple hundred dollars. Worst case scenario, parts are around a $1200, but typically my tickets run around $600 in parts. Labor is 8.0 hours in most labor time standard manuals (Motor, Chilton, AllData) plus diagnosis.

The settlement was a few bucks to the original owners, based on how many times your car had been repaired. More times meant more money, if I remember right. But you had to have documented repairs to receive reimbursement, and I am fairly sure the time to enroll is past. There were no "Ford has to fix your car out of warranty" clauses. The TCM extended coverage (10 years or 150k miles) was to avoid a recall, rather than part of any court settlement.  

Ford's stance will be this, pretty much whoever you talk to: Dealers have loaners and access to rentals. Clutch diagnosis and replacement under warranty pays 5.8 hours on a Focus; easily less than a day start to finish. There is no reason you shouldn't have been able to get it in and get it repaired.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the good news (for me) my dealer resolved the issue on my 2014 Ford Focus on the fifth transmission plate replacement, four done under warranty and the fifth under extended warranty.  Ford Canada had given up, decline any further assistance when I asked what they were going to do to resolve..my dealer didn't give up!!   My symptom was as you pulled away from a stop, the shuddering, which just got worse. Would replace ever 20,000kms...the last replacement (5th) was 30,000kms ago, what was done different there, the hanger bearings replaced.  Just yesterday, the transmission as smooth as, basically like my 2010 Escape Hybrid, that smooth!!  Having a great dealer team, who listen, understand, empathy, think outside of the normal...priceless!!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 ford Focus. We love the car. My son uses it as his daily driver. The car is basic not really any options, but it is comfortable and by far the cheapest car to operate per mile in our fleet. Anuyhow the clutch does shutter sometimes but it isn't to bad. It does remind me of the days of my youth driving a 4 speed trans. It is a automatic manual transmission.

Sanman