Can I add a factory tow package to a Ford Edge SEL after the fact?

Skatcatla

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked before but I did a search and couldn’t find any results and I am having a heck of a time gett8ng a straight answer to some questions I have about towing packages. I have a 2017 Ford Edge SEL which does not have the factory installed tow package. According to my owner manual, this means my max tow weight is 2000lbs, as opposed to 3500 with the tow package.  According to my local Ford dealer, they can install  a tow harness and hitch for me, but the service advisor didn’t know about any after market transmission or radiator cooling.  (at least, that particular service advisor just didn’t know) When I contacted Ford directly, all they could tell me is that the “tow package” includes a hitch, 4-pin wiring harness, and “anti sway controller,” which as far as I can tell, is the electronics that sends power to the tires to correct sway. Nothing about any larger batteries, additional transmission cooling etc. 

So, my question is, can I get any of these components installed after the fact so that I can get the tow max up to the 3500lbs I need or am I SOL and need to get a new car?  

Thanks in advance as I can’t seem to get a definitive answer to this anywhere...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...