Camaro may go on hiatus.

fordtech1

If this is true, it is history repeating itself. GM will never learn. The Camaro outperforms the Mustang on a track. The 4th Gen did as well. Guess what, 1% of these car owners actually take them to the track. Numbers are great for d*ck waving but not necessarily for daily driving. If it is small, rides rougher, and you can't see out of it people won't usually buy as a daily driver as there are too many comprises. It didn't help that their refresh made it look even more hideous. So much so that they had to give it another front end the following model year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

If this is true, it is history repeating itself. GM will never learn. The Camaro outperforms the Mustang on a track. The 4th Gen did as well. Guess what, 1% of these car owners actually take them to the track. Numbers are great for d*ck waving but not necessarily for daily driving. If it is small, rides rougher, and you can't see out of it people won't usually buy as a daily driver as there are too many comprises. It didn't help that their refresh made it look even more hideous. So much so that they had to give it another front end the following model year.

Shouldn't you fellas be buying the bar now that Chevy is bowing out?....

I'd wait for more solid info before spreading it. It could have been stopped for a new design, a sedan or an performance CUV variant added. l highly doubtful the less profitable Corvette survived and the Camaro didn't.

Remember, the Mustang was "cancelled" last year too....

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No it wasn't, it was a change in direction. Rather than evolving S550 to S650 they switched to CD6 instead. 

What do ya think l put cancelled in quote marks?. This could be the same case for Camaro if the story's accurate.

Someone on ttac.com said "I think they will now bring out a Chevelle/Monte Carlo in Camaro's place". But pure wishfull thinking, and it's how rumors start.

Actual paying customers are needed, if "car guy products" are to succeed. But also, it's not the old days when base, LT or RS models could sell to average folks, to support the line. 40 years ago, 1979 ["malaise era" I hate term, btw], was Camaro's sales height, not 1969 as some would assume. And now, those who want "something nice looking", but not into performance, get a CUV, instead of a coupe.

Edited by 630land

31 minutes ago, Fgts said:

I'd wait for more solid info before spreading it. It could have been stopped for a new design, a sedan or an performance CUV variant added. l highly doubtful the less profitable Corvette survived and the Camaro didn't.

Whoooaa whooa whooa......"If this is true..." is how I started that. I am not saying anything with certainty. However,  I can say Camaro sales have tanked and now 3rd behind Dodge and Ford in the pony/muscle car wars.  GM, more specifically Al O, went after track times sacrificing livability in the new Camaro. My opinion is that sales skid started when they didn't differentiate the 6th gen exterior enough from the 5th gen. Nobody can argue about the platform or the performance. I do not understand why the doubled down on the lack of visibility, saying that it was a Camaro trait that enthusiasts liked. I like the competition from the Camaro because competition makes cars better. However, you could see this coming a mile away, much like with Cadillac and their chasing of BMW. 

I honestly thinks GM has bigger fish to fry, ahem Silverado aka the cash cow, than a slow selling coupe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

My intel suggests its delayed 18 months, they're watching to see how this year goes plus new CT4 and CT5.

The whole replacement modular RWD platform planned for  2023 is now up in the air.

As it should be...price out a mullearo and you are close enuff in price to a vette its just not worth plopping the cash down...may be chebby can hack the back off and give us a new el camino to keep it going

5 hours ago, Fgts said:

How do you know the Corvette is less profitable?