Ford Ranger IIHS crash test

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

When will the US adopt ROW lighting standards that allow for these better headlights?

ECE standards? Don't know. But it's not ECE vs DOT standards that explain why most U.S. market Ford vehicles have crappy headlamps. It's because Ford doesn't make it a high priority to equip its vehicles with decent headlamps that provide good visibility for its driver while at the same time limiting glare to other drivers. In other words, Ford doesn't care.

The big question is "When will Ford start taking headlamp performance seriously?"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

ECE standards? Don't know. But it's not ECE vs DOT standards that explain why most U.S. market Ford vehicles have crappy headlamps. It's because Ford doesn't make it a high priority to equip its vehicles with decent headlamps that provide good visibility for its driver while at the same time limiting glare to other drivers. In other words, Ford doesn't care.

The big question is "When will Ford start taking headlamp performance seriously?"

It's not just a Ford problem, it's an industry problem. Outside of luxury brands nobody takes that seriously. 

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Cue the IIHS is useless comments....

I don't think the IIHS is useless. I might not always agree with their shifting of goalposts, but they have helped push the industry into building safer vehicles. The moderate and small overlap tests are a good test that probably have more real life relevance compared to the old just crash it into a wall test. I also like that they test roof strength because on trucks and SUVs rollover is still a concern. Anyhow it was nice to see that the Ranger has done well in these tests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not just a Ford problem, it's an industry problem. Outside of luxury brands nobody takes that seriously. 

Mazda, Subaru and Hyundai/Kia do. 

One of the the biggest issues with IIHS vs CR is that CR adjusts headlights to manufacturer specs, IIHS just takes what the vehicle as delivered from the vehicle.

Vehicles with auto leveling will fair much better in IIHS testing.

6 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Mazda, Subaru and Hyundai/Kia do. 

One of the the biggest issues with IIHS vs CR is that CR adjusts headlights to manufacturer specs, IIHS just takes what the vehicle as delivered from the vehicle.

Vehicles with auto leveling will fair much better in IIHS testing.

When I buy a brand new vehicle from the factory, I should not have to adjust my headlights to factory specs, they should be at the factory specs since... well... ya know... it just came from the factory 2 weeks prior.

Edited by blwnsmoke

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

When I buy a brand new vehicle from the factory, I should not have to adjust my headlights to factory specs, they should be at the factory specs since... well... ya know... it just came from the factory 2 weeks prior.

They should be close but don't be surprised if they are a little on the low side just to make sure that they don't dazzle oncoming traffic.

Older theory for setting lights was based on following a sedan, the top of your head  lights on low beam  should cut off just below the trunk lid so that direct light does not strike the back window of the car in front. That also prevents dazzling oncoming traffic

Edited by jpd80