Powershift transmission woes haunt Ford

Just got a call over the weekend. Another friend of mine with a focus ended up with a ecosport. I thought escape would be the replacement of the focus and the ecosport for the fiesta. I’m actually surprised they went with another Ford. This is why I say ford should offer these current owners of dsp6 vehicles some extra assistance to offset the depreciation they take for trading these shudder boxes in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

Just got a call over the weekend. Another friend of mine with a focus ended up with a ecosport. I thought escape would be the replacement of the focus and the ecosport for the fiesta. I’m actually surprised they went with another Ford. This is why I say ford should offer these current owners of dsp6 vehicles some extra assistance to offset the depreciation they take for trading these shudder boxes in. 

Precisely, this is another selling opportunity just like GM did with the ignition lock recall.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Birds of a feather I'd say...
Thankfully the JV with Getrag and the dreadful DPS6 now seems to be at an end with the closure of
Ford's  transmission plant in France, VW also having trouble with dry clutches so not just a Ford thing, 
dieselgate overshadowed a lot of new about that.

Getrag must have know that their gearbox had serious issues, regardless of whatever tune was applied to it,
I mean, they've used wet clutches for years because they work better and can take the load.

I could be making it up, but I think I saw a news article or press release awhile back saying that Getrag was going to cease development on dry clutch trans. I thought "big surprise".

6 hours ago, mybkvu said:

I could be making it up, but I think I saw a news article or press release awhile back saying that Getrag was going to cease development on dry clutch trans. I thought "big surprise".

VW had similar problems with its DCT equipped vehicles and have now moved away from them,
Getrag  knew this was coming years ago and has now moved onto 7-speed wet clutch transmissions.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:53 PM, 351cid said:

Yesterday, my daughter's 14 Focus stopped shifting.  It started not wanting to shift out of 2nd, but now will not even attempt to shift out of first.

This is after she just dropped $1000 having the electric steering rack replaced.

Another soured customer....

As a follow up; my daughter took her Focus in today. She didn't hear a peep from the dealer until 4:30 pm. They called her to tell her that her car was ready. She asked what the issue was & they said the TCM, which was replaced under warranty.

Neither of us has had good experiences with warranty repair, so this was a relief & a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Just curious-relatives visiting show up with a Corolla rental car.  Second day here check engine light comes on so they take it back and get a Focus.  Build date 4/18 and trans code (TR?) "W".  Is that the "offending" trans?  If not what is code for that trans?

Power shift was used through to the end of production  Bob, so if it’s an automatic then that’s it.

New article posted yesterday https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/07/31/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-issues-lawsuit/1870852001/?fbclid=IwAR2WGduxoS1NKHUYQTs4y15zbs1oXmJs6K401PafU9QvZmkyyZN3l7PegQs

Ford Focus and Fiesta owners from around the country say they experienced new rejection at Ford dealerships when they took their cars for repair after the automaker quietly issued a special service notice in response to a Free Press investigation into the cars' defective transmissions.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Power shift was used through to the end of production  Bob, so if it’s an automatic then that’s it.

I thought Focuses equipped with the three-cylinder engine have a conventional automatic transmission that has not been problematic..?

Edited by grbeck

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

I thought Focuses equipped with the three-cylinder engine have a conventional automatic transmission that has not been problematic..?

That appears to be correct.  I remember the 1.0EB manual is a 6 speed instead of the 5 speed.  The auto trans is also a regular slushbox.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15100602/2016-ford-focus-sedan-10-liter-turbo-automatic-test-review/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thx-well in any case my sister in law likes it better than the Corrolla it replaced.  Nice to see that "Michigan Assembly Plant" sticker on the right rear window..

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, MKII said:

Thanks for sharing this follow up article MKII sir. Phoebe Howard at Detroit Free Press is going to get a Pulitzer Prize for this investigative reporting on Ford.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

PS: No one is holding a gun to their heads to keep that damn car....get rid of it and buy something else!!

Believe me, when you’re completely upside down on a loan it's not that simple. If it was, I would have traded in my Focus YEARS ago. 

And to clarify for new members/lurkers I have a 2008 manual. Pre powershift fiasco 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

PS: No one is holding a gun to their heads to keep that damn car....get rid of it and buy something else!!

I know of one instance that isn't feasible. My daughter & son in law bought a Focus. She's trying to finish her education while my son in law is a disabled Marine veteran. They struggle monthly to make their bills. I suggested they buy a new car (warranty & reliability) because they were dropping car payment money into fixing their beater every month. 

The "value" of a used Focus is a joke. They have paid 4 of 5 years on their loan & are still upside down in a big way. I helped negotiate the selling price & loan rate, so I know that isn't the issue. No one, NO ONE, will give anything on trade for a Focus. They have to pay through this crap for one more year, and then start all over.

My kids have a bad taste in their mouth for FoMoCo. I'm not really inclined to convince them otherwise because of recent events at Ford.

Another potential life customer squandered.

• Like 1

The flip side of that coin is you can get a great commuter car for cheap. Get one that is still under Powertrain warranty and if you do a lot of interstate travel it would be great. Just know the  idiosyncrasies of the transmission. I’ve seen them with high highway miles and original clutch. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

The flip side of that coin is you can get a great commuter car for cheap. Get one that is still under Powertrain warranty and if you do a lot of interstate travel it would be great. Just know the  idiosyncrasies of the transmission. I’ve seen them with high highway miles and original clutch. 

As sick as it sounds, I may get one when my 08 finally rusts apart.