Jump to content
  • Custom Search


silvrsvt

Powershift transmission woes haunt Ford

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

At least you'll know how to fix it when shit hits the fan 

These transmissions shudder on acceleration. However, the newer models and even the older ones that have had the TCM replaced, aren’t a ticking time bomb. I would put them in the annoying category not the dangerous life threatening category. TCMs where most the culprits for neutraling out while driving or not shifting. Those failures have dropped immensely. As I’ve said several times. It’s awful to have a car that shudders and you are paying for a new car.  Ford should give owners assistance to offset the depreciation.  However, they aren’t death traps or specifically money pits. The two friends of mine that recently traded them for ecosports liked the focus and said it got great fuel mileage but the shudder in traffic worried them. Plus the depreciation was a concern also. 

If it was looking for a cheap commuter car, I’d buy one. I’m actually keeping my eye for a cmaxx energi as a put around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fordtech1 said:

These transmissions shudder on acceleration. However, the newer models and even the older ones that have had the TCM replaced, aren’t a ticking time bomb. I would put them in the annoying category not the dangerous life threatening category. TCMs where most the culprits for neutraling out while driving or not shifting. Those failures have dropped immensely. As I’ve said several times. It’s awful to have a car that shudders and you are paying for a new car.  Ford should give owners assistance to offset the depreciation.  However, they aren’t death traps or specifically money pits. The two friends of mine that recently traded them for ecosports liked the focus and said it got great fuel mileage but the shudder in traffic worried them. Plus the depreciation was a concern also. 

If it was looking for a cheap commuter car, I’d buy one. I’m actually keeping my eye for a cmaxx energi as a put around. 

The C-Max was great. Unfortunately forgettable styling and zero marketing did it no favors. If I didn't need a truck I would look at one myself. Perhaps at this point I would be better off riding it out with one car and see if a hybrid Bronco would be a good fit for me or see if the NG Ranger is something that interests me stylistically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 6:48 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

The C-Max was great. Unfortunately forgettable styling and zero marketing did it no favors. If I didn't need a truck I would look at one myself. Perhaps at this point I would be better off riding it out with one car and see if a hybrid Bronco would be a good fit for me or see if the NG Ranger is something that interests me stylistically. 

C-Max had a ton of ads at first and sales were doing pretty well.  Then the mileage re-rating happened, and Ford pulled the plug on its advertising overnight, sales dried up after that too.

 

I still would love a hybrid Bronco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As fordtech1 says, the new TCM makes a world of difference. I had a 2011 Fiesta, that had a clutch replaced at about 115k. The TCM was replaced under warranty a few months later under warranty, and it made a world of difference. Shifts seemed faster and more positive, and any other issues I had, such as slow speed driving in a parking lot, went away.

It appears Ford has sorted out most of the issues with this transmission, but they didn't handle this well. Should have been more aggressive on helping customers early on, as they are paying for it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

C-Max had a ton of ads at first and sales were doing pretty well.  Then the mileage re-rating happened, and Ford pulled the plug on its advertising overnight, sales dried up after that too.

Along with my Fiesta, I have a 2016 C-Max. Great car, though not the prettiest. It was cheap to buy because of no demand.

I consistently get mid 40s except in wintertime when I need the heater. Never understood why some people had such a hard time getting decent mileage, but mileage depends a lot on how you drive it. I suspect every hybrid is the same. Lots of interstate high speed driving at 70+ mph will bring average MPG down, but it still does mid 30's even then.

Replacement down the road will likely be an Escape hybrid I'm thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dmpaul said:

Along with my Fiesta, I have a 2016 C-Max. Great car, though not the prettiest. It was cheap to buy because of no demand.

I consistently get mid 40s except in wintertime when I need the heater. Never understood why some people had such a hard time getting decent mileage, but mileage depends a lot on how you drive it. I suspect every hybrid is the same. Lots of interstate high speed driving at 70+ mph will bring average MPG down, but it still does mid 30's even then.

Replacement down the road will likely be an Escape hybrid I'm thinking.

With having a EcoBoost powered Escape for the last 3 weeks while my Fusion has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks, it's really taught me a lot about how to drive efficiently, even more so than driving a stick for the last decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

With having a EcoBoost powered Escape for the last 3 weeks while my Fusion has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks, it's really taught me a lot about how to drive efficiently, even more so than driving a stick for the last decade. 

Not to derail, but what's wrong with the Fusion? I've got tires and maintenance on the horizon for mine. My OEM tires are starting to become loud as they get worn down, that's my big gripe right now. Going to change the PTU fluid soon too (already flushed the trans). Almost to 40,000 miles and besides a leaky PTU seal it's been trouble free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

At least you'll know how to fix it when shit hits the fan 

I don't know, Fuzzy-- I don't think I could fix a sandwich this week... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

I don't know, Fuzzy-- I don't think I could fix a sandwich this week... 

Don’t you hate those days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

I don't know, Fuzzy-- I don't think I could fix a sandwich this week... 

Are you the guy at me dealer working on my fusion? Went in for a torque converter 3 weeks ago, so I get how busy techs are these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Are you the guy at me dealer working on my fusion? Went in for a torque converter 3 weeks ago, so I get how busy techs are these days. 

3 weeks for a torque converter ? They that far behind on work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

3 weeks for a torque converter ? They that far behind on work? 

From what I understand there's only 1 transmission guy at my dealer, so combine that with the fact that evidently the part just came in today yeah they're that far behind. 

It took them 3 days to even send it over to the trans shop because they had to rule out everything suspension related (the front end was shaking heavily under load). Took them a week from there to even tear it apart and diagnose the torque converter. It should have been done but like usual from my dealer they didn't communicate very well and I was unaware it was waiting on the part to come in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Are you the guy at me dealer working on my fusion? Went in for a torque converter 3 weeks ago, so I get how busy techs are these days. 

No Fusions in my queue right now, sorry. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×