RAM June Sales

Trailhiker

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

Ram sold 68,000 pickups in June. Chevy would have to have one heck of a 'truck month' to beat that!

The more profound comment might be that they're gaining quickly on Ford!

Edited by Kev-Mo

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

U.S. pickup truck sales for 1st half 2019.

• GM 438,206 (Chevrolet 321,940, GMC 116,266)
  • FCA 306,732 (Ram 299,480, Jeep 7,252)
  • Toyota 176,363
  • Nissan 57,348
  • Honda 15,255
  • Ford to be announced July 3

It is just amazing how many trucks are being sold. Full Sized have the strongest by far, but the Ranger and Gladiator are really going to help sales of Mid-sized trucks. F-Sereis will be King for a long time to come.

1 minute ago, Trailhiker said:

It is just amazing how many trucks are being sold. Full Sized have the strongest by far, but the Ranger and Gladiator are really going to help sales of Mid-sized trucks. F-Sereis will be King for a long time to come.

Especially with a new F-150 coming next year 

The really amazing stat is the 56% sales surge vs. last year. It says the market is responding positively to Ram's redesign.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-02/fiat-chrysler-s-ram-edges-closer-to-ford-with-monster-sales

Also, Ram's 68k sales in June almost match Ford F-series' average monthly from the first quarter (71,500).

Edited by bzcat

16 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

What these numbers do not show is the breakdown between the "Classic" vs "New" Ram trucks. We all know that Ram is "whoring out" the Ram Classic to gain market share.

Ford did that back in 2004, while the next generation gained popularity.  What was that tactic called back then?  Good business or 'whoring out'?

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150-heritage/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ford did that back in 2004, while the next generation gained popularity.  What was that tactic called back then?  Good business or 'whoring out'?

Just depends what side of the street you work on. If you sell Ford, it is "whoring out". For Ram it is good business. I sell Fords so you know which side of the street I work on.

40 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ford did that because they had extra capacity.  With the much higher numbers of F150's being produced, I don't see Ford doing that anytime soon.

And Ford only did that one year.  The big question is RAM going to continue doing that many years?  Go the GM route like the old Impala and old Malibu??

44 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Just depends what side of the street you work on. If you sell Ford, it is "whoring out". For Ram it is good business. I sell Fords so you know which side of the street I work on.

Appreciate your honesty - and I get it!  I don't have too many nice words for FCA/Dodge/RAM whatever they want to be called.

And I think Ford did it to consume capacity that was already running and amortized (can you say profit) while the new model gained popularity.  Cannot see what Dodge is doing now any different than what Ford did.  And Dodge probably remembered how well it worked back in 2004. 

Just saw this financial fact on Automotive News:

• The Detroit 3 were not shy with cash incentives on big pickup trucks in June. Brad Korner, general manager of rebates and incentives for Cox Automotive, said Ram led the way with an average guaranteed cash incentive of $4,198 last month; followed by Chevrolet, $3,377 on the Silverado, and Ford, with $2,412 on the F series.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Doesn't $2,400 sound pretty low?

That's only the "guaranteed" cash incentive (doesn't include dealer discounts), and just an average. At Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex, you can get over $12,000 or more off MSRP on a new F-150 without any negotiation. Consumers skilled at negotiating can probably get $15k off.

Example from my local Ford dealer. $13,267 off sticker as of today not including any conditional incentives. https://www.autonationfordfortworth.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-F-150-3b6d3c5c0a0d0cc731ece52d9e932a6b.htm?searchDepth=1:494

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Especially for the oldest truck out of the 3. Sounds like Ram is trying to get sales at all costs.

It sounds like they are going after GM more than Ford, so I’d be confident that Ford would be less affected by ’Ram’s big sales jump but you never know....

Is there any down time for KTP this next quarter for the SD changeover or will it be just a one or two truck gap in the line?

Edited by jpd80

11 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's only the "guaranteed" cash incentive (doesn't include dealer discounts), and just an average. At Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex, you can get over $12,000 or more off MSRP on a new F-150 without any negotiation. Consumers skilled at negotiating can probably get $15k off.

Example from my local Ford dealer. $13,267 off sticker as of today not including any conditional incentives. https://www.autonationfordfortworth.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-F-150-3b6d3c5c0a0d0cc731ece52d9e932a6b.htm?searchDepth=1:494

Dealership discounts do not hurt Ford so it has no bearing on this.  Rebates are what hurts Ford's margin/profit.  So not sure why you are even mentioning this.. you know that.

And of course you pick the STX package which has unique rebates.  How about looking at a KR or Platinum like this..  only $1,250 in rebates.

https://www.autonationfordfortworth.com/ford-f-150-fort-worth-tx.htm

It seems you are just like the media, you find unique links to try to advertise your agenda instead of looking at the big picture.  The STX is not Ford's top seller or anywhere close to it.  They are not throwing that kind of money on a lot of trucks and capitalizing on the high trim, high profit trucks.

Edited by blwnsmoke

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

It sounds like they are going after GM more than Ford, so I’d be confident that Ford would be less affected by ’Ram’s big sales jump but you never know....

Is there any down time for KTP this next quarter for the SD changeover or will it be just a one or two truck gap in the line?

For a refresh? Probably just a gap in the line if anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

For a refresh? Probably just a gap in the line if anything. 

Well, it is getting an all new engine, an all new transmission, and a significantly updated engine.  I'm not sure if that qualifies as needing a break in build, but is pretty significant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Well, it is getting an all new engine, an all new transmission, and a significantly updated engine.  I'm not sure if that qualifies as needing a break in build, but is pretty significant.

I don't know how they run things at KTP but since there's not many major structural changes there shouldn't be any down time involved 

• Like 1

June sales of Silverado combined were 47,089.

It's great that GM has started breaking out the HD, LD and MD quarterly sales as it shows proportions

Vehicle.................Q1 Sales........Q2 Sales........H1 Sales
Silverado HD...........29,541...........31,496...........61,037
Silverado LD............84,449.........109,930.........194,429
Silverado MD................276............1,038.............1,314
Silverado ToT.........114,266.........142,464..........256,780

*Silverado 5M0 was 209,688 so by deduction, June sales combined was 47,089

So you can see that in terms of HD/LD, the sales split in Q2 is roughly 22%/78%
where Ford's SD/F150 sales split is more like 33%/67%....thanks to 3 plants on 3 shifts (fairly stable production)

Edited by jpd80