Ford reports 2nd quarter 2019 sales

1 minute ago, SoonerLS said:

My calculator says that 87K - 62K is 25K, not 9K.

I had read the numbers on TFL Truck and they must have just done an average number for the 3 months in Ford's second quarter. That average showed Ram was only 9,000 behind in June sales versus F-150's average. If the actual June numbers show a 25,000 difference then that's a good thing.

4 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

My eyesight says 79k , not 87k.

I just went and looked at the FCA numbers and they sold 68,098 Rams in June. Ford sold 79,426 F-Series. So the difference was actually 11,328. Still a decent margin, but something Ford needs to keep an eye on.

3 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

My eyesight says 79k , not 87k.

The table in slvrsvt's post says 87K. RMC's post does say 79K, but it's not like anyone really knows the numbers outside the quarterly numbers that Ford reports.

Either way, it looks like Dodge is beating up GM and taking their lunch money...

22 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Thats the beauty of F-Series trucks...it can dominate in both fleet sales and individual "luxury" sales....if it was only luxury sales that mattered, Lincoln Mark LT would have been much more popular.

KR, Platinum and Limited basically are luxury trucks, they just don't wear a luxury brand badge. 

3 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

The table in slvrsvt's post says 87K. RMC's post does say 79K, but it's not like anyone really knows the numbers outside the quarterly numbers that Ford reports.

Either way, it looks like Dodge is beating up GM and taking their lunch money...

I would think that although Ford is posting quarterly that if they sold almost 90k Fseries in June, they would call that out.

I completely agree with you regarding GM.  And until they do an emergency refresh, they will continue to tank in sales.

Edited by blwnsmoke

11 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I would think that although Ford is posting quarterly that if they sold almost 90k Fseries in June, they would call that out.

Maybe, maybe not; aside from breaking their quarterly reporting too soon after implementing it, F-Series sales were essentially flat relative to Q2 '18, so it would take away from the Ranger adding 20K units for their "best truck quarter in 15 years" messaging.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

KR, Platinum and Limited basically are luxury trucks, they just don't wear a luxury brand badge. 

Which is exactly my point. Ford tried to bring about a "luxury" truck and both times (Lincoln Blackwood, and Lincoln Mark LT) it failed. Point is, you can have a good mix of fleet like XL and Custom yet still dominate at the top end of the scale. Ford is dominating not because they are cheapening the product, but because they know what their truck customers want be it a fleet manager or a luxury minded independent contractor. To suggest that Ford cede a segment of the market (in this case, fleet business) is not a good idea. And, in the case of trucks, fleet sales are not money losers for the line.

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I had read the numbers on TFL Truck and they must have just done an average number for the 3 months in Ford's second quarter. That average showed Ram was only 9,000 behind in June sales versus F-150's average. If the actual June numbers show a 25,000 difference then that's a good thing.

Your first problem was following TFL Truck. TFL is so bad on so many levels.

16 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

Your first problem was following TFL Truck. TFL is so bad on so many levels.

I enjoy their videos and they seem to be pretty pro-Ford. They are one of the few YouTube channels that have been pretty fair to the Ranger. Many other reviews have trashed it up and down.

8 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I'd love to see the actual numbers on all this money people around here claim Ford loses on the Fusion. Heck average hourly pay for auto assembly in Mexico is somewhere between $3.50 to $7.00 an hour. It also could be given a pretty decent economical refresh without a new platform. We saw Ford do this a few times when money was tight back in the late 00's.

Anyhow it's a successful nameplate and they should build on that. Will these new vehicles they have planned going up against tough competition with more respected nameplates in their segment will do well? So far the new Ranger isn't selling very well so I hope things go better for other new models they have planned. I sure like my new Ranger, but it seems to have fell flat on it's face in a tough midsized truck market. Hopefully generous incentives and more promotions will get it moving off the lots.

IDK what Ford was thinking, I guess they just had to rush something out the door, but the new Ranger is not styled for North America.

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

fleet manager or a luxury minded independent contractor.

The best LD pickup truck customers are wealthy urban retail consumers who buy luxury trucks as status symbols. Not fleet managers or independent contractors. Ford knows this.

9 hours ago, probowler said:

IDK what Ford was thinking, I guess they just had to rush something out the door, but the new Ranger is not styled for North America.

Truth was that by the time Ford NA came knocking (end of 2016), the final refresh on Gen 1 Ranger was done  and work was beginning on Gen 2 T6 Bronco so there was no choice but to adapt the final MCE of global Ranger to US needs with the minimum amount of change.

14 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Ford reports monthly to the industry but not the public. I will vouch for the accuracy of RMC's Ford monthly sales figures.

E-series van    3,168
EcoSport     9,408
Edge    11,032
Escape    25,077
Expedition    6,639
Explorer    13,299
F series    79,426
Flex    3,320
Ranger    7,384
Transit    12,446
Transit Connect     4,160

Total Ford truck    175,359

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The best LD pickup truck customers are wealthy urban retail consumers who buy luxury trucks as status symbols. Not fleet managers or independent contractors. Ford knows this.

Ford knows that in the case of F-Series, fleet managers and independent contractors and just as important as "wealthy urban retail consumers".

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I wonder how many of these higher-end trucks would sell if the tax code was different?  I used to work with a guy in MI that had a hobby farm, with his & hers XL Navigators, written off as a "business" expense. I have no problem with people spending their own money, I do have a problem when the rest of us have to subsidize their choice of vehicles.

Really, how many Denali's or KR's do you see with a load of gravel in the bed?

HRG

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Truth was that by the time Ford NA came knocking (end of 2016), the final refresh on Gen 1 Ranger was done  and work was beginning on Gen 2 T6 Bronco so there was no choice but to adapt the final MCE of global Ranger to US needs with the minimum amount of change.

Makes sense.... But now that I think about it,  the Ranger has been out what, 1 year?  And we're barely a year or 2 away from Gen 2 T6 now?    Almost seems like a huge waste prepping gen 1 ranger for US and getting it tested and approved for such a small run; Perhaps they're planning on running it for a bit after the Bronco initially debuts G2, but I can't help but feel the rangers reintroduction was lackluster.  Sure, it's no Bronco or Mustang, but still.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

Makes sense.... But now that I think about it,  the Ranger has been out what, 1 year?  And we're barely a year or 2 away from Gen 2 T6 now?    Almost seems like a huge waste prepping gen 1 ranger for US and getting it tested and approved for such a small run; Perhaps they're planning on running it for a bit after the Bronco initially debuts G2, but I can't help but feel the rangers reintroduction was lackluster.  Sure, it's no Bronco or Mustang, but still.

Yeah but people wanted a Ranger, it felt forever for Ford to debut it, and when it finally did, it wasn't good enough for those awaiting it. Just like the Bronco better be damn good because it feels like a c----tease at this point, years into the future yet no delivery. And then when the Ranger did come out, "Oh wait, there's another one around the corner". So Ford will get dinged for A) Not having a Ranger after the last one B) Waiting to long to re-introduce it C) It wasn't good enough, D) Oh but now they did so why bother is another is coming around the bend. I feel your frustration too.

5 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Yeah but people wanted a Ranger, it felt forever for Ford to debut it, and when it finally did, it wasn't good enough for those awaiting it. Just like the Bronco better be damn good because it feels like a c----tease at this point, years into the future yet no delivery. And then when the Ranger did come out, "Oh wait, there's another one around the corner". So Ford will get dinged for A) Not having a Ranger after the last one B) Waiting to long to re-introduce it C) It wasn't good enough, D) Oh but now they did so why bother is another is coming around the bend. I feel your frustration too.

I don't think it was so much the delay between announcement and reveal as it was when it finally DID come out there was quite the sticker shock. It's taken me this long to come to grips with the fact I can't afford one (and I build them FFS) 

I also don't believe average Joe consumer has any clue the next one is right around the corner. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, probowler said:

First vehicle on gen 2 T6 is Bronco, the new Global Ranger, about 12 months after than but the US version will be after that. 

Money spent on a quick reconfigure of global Ranger now was preferable to spending money on a new Focus, plus it also get buyers interested in Ranger again, Ford only decided right at the end of Mark Fields time as CEO to bring back the Ranger, a vehicle they could have had any time since 2011.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1