Aviator GT Order

7 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Still the same as of 2 minutes ago, the Concierge is going to look into it further.  I think it is just waiting for finale inspection and update/correction.  Hoping it gets on the move soon.  

Try the Ford tracker... Sent Offsite has changed to Origin Recieved. 

12 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

That's what I use.  It is still sent offsite.

Try refreshing a couple times or try it on a different device.  I've heard that it doesn't always show the latest info when using the same device repeatedly.  I was checking mine and decided to try yours using vin from your window sticker... for me it's saying origin recieved/in production but no eta yet.

Edited by CoolScoop

6 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Try refreshing a couple times or try it on a different device.  I've heard that it doesn't always show the latest info when using the same device repeatedly.  I was checking mine and decided to try yours using vin from your window sticker... for me it's saying origin recieved/in production but no eta yet.

I had edited my post a few minutes after your first post.  I cleared my cache and cookies, ran it again and the status was updated.  I guess I need to do that every few days.

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

I had edited my post a few minutes after your first post.  I cleared my cache and cookies, ran it again and the status was updated.  I guess I need to do that every few days.

Good to see its back on track!  Next step after origin recieved/in production was released/awaiting shipment with new eta's for mine.  Of course that was back on Dec 28 and now it's not due until the first week of Feb... but I've heard eta's and shipments are finally ramping up!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

Just an FYI to everyone waiting for their Aviator GT’s...it looks like they are starting to arrive in Canada!  I got a call out of the blue this morning from my dealer rep that my Aviator GT (ordered August 14, 2019) has finally arrived at a local Toronto stockyard.  The dealer claims they will have it by Monday and I’m supposed to take delivery of it on Wednesday next week.

I guess I’ll be among the first and few Canadian customers to receive their Aviator GT.  I was told mine was the ONLY GT model being sold by the dealership I ordered from because they were only allocated to sell one GT model out of only about 25 or so GT’s allotted for the all the dealers across Canada. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, CoolScoop said:

Good to see its back on track!  Next step after origin recieved/in production was released/awaiting shipment with new eta's for mine.  Of course that was back on Dec 28 and now it's not due until the first week of Feb... but I've heard eta's and shipments are finally ramping up!

Status moved to awaiting shipment, no ETA though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mustangchief said:

Status moved to awaiting shipment, no ETA though.

Did you get the update from your dealer or an online tracker? Online trackers quit working for me several days ago... either says not authorized or shows a  pop-up requiring a user name and password.

Great news, finally picked up my Aviator GT yesterday and it is awesome!  Well worth the long wait.  Color combo of Blue Diamond on Roast interior looks great.  So far the driving experience has been excellent. 

I've been trying to use it mostly in EV only mode so far to track how the real life EV range is, but I did put it in Excite mode a couple times to have some fun and it I'm surprised at the instant torque it can really move quick off the line!

Here's some photos:

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

Great news, finally picked up my Aviator GT yesterday and it is awesome!  Well worth the long wait.  Color combo of Blue Diamond on Roast interior looks great.  So far the driving experience has been excellent. 

I've been trying to use it mostly in EV only mode so far to track how the real life EV range is, but I did put it in Excite mode a couple times to have some fun and it I'm surprised at the instant torque it can really move quick off the line!

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

Great looking Aviator!  I wish a bit more of the styling had rubbed off on the Explorer.

10 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

Here's some photos:

Great news and great vehicle. Congratulations!

Did you notice the jump of transmission between the two motors, which was reported by a few reviewers. 

2 hours ago, Wheeling said:

Did you notice the jump of transmission between the two motors, which was reported by a few reviewers. 

The jump isn't from the tranny and it's very comon with modular hybrids.  The modular system basically uses the same engine and tranny from the gas models, but with an additional housing bolted between them that contains the electric motor and clutches that contol which motor(s) drive the tranny.  Under certain conditions the engagement/disengagement of the clutches can be felt and it's difficult to completely tune out all of the harsh transitions.  It's also something you'll learn to minimize as you become familiar with its driving dynamics.  The big advantage of this system is the ease of adding it to other rear drive models, from Mustangs to Super Duties.

Edited by CoolScoop

14 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

Here's some photos:

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

Great Combo, exactly what I ordered.  Just awaiting the arrival now, because it is awaiting shipment, should be any month now...lol  Congrats on a sweet ride.  

10 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Great Combo, exactly what I ordered.  Just awaiting the arrival now, because it is awaiting shipment, should be any month now...lol  Congrats on a sweet ride.  

Trackers are working again!!! Yours is now shipped convoy/in transit... but mine is still awaiting shipment and eta slipped yet again to third week of Feb.  It was released on Dec 28.... wonder why it's taking so long to ship?  Yours is ahead of mine now!!!

Edited by CoolScoop

7 hours ago, Wheeling said:

So far I found the transition from EV to hybrid mode (Engine On) to be very smooth and seamless.  I noticed a very slight jerk once when braking a bit hard but I couldn't tell if it was downshifting the transmission to help slow down or just increasing the amount of regen braking in reacting to the harder pedal movement. 

2 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

How is the interior/exterior fit and finish?  Did you find any other issues yet?

The interior finish and materials quality are excellent.  I came out of a 2017 MKX and the improvement in the interior on the Aviator blew me away.  The buttons, accent trims, soft touch leather surfaces, etc. really give an upscale look it feels like you in a  true luxury car not an Explorer wearing a tux.

Overall the exterior looks good alignments/gaps between panels are ok, but mine has 2 very small chips in the paint near the door edges, a light scratch on the roof, and and a barely noticeable dent on the front right quarter panel, but I have no way of knowing if it happened at factory, in transit to dealer, or from the dealer staff themselves (which is what I strongly suspect).  Still waiting for dealer to get back to me with details on when they are going to fix the chips/dent.

5 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Did you find any other issues yet?

I've noticed the following issues and odd quirks so far:

1.  The Heads Up Display (it's amazing! one of my favorite features) is supposed to show the range to empty for both gas and electric ranges (at least according to the manual) and mine only shows the gas range not the electric.  I tried going through the HUD display options and there is no setting to turn on for electric range, so not sure why I'm missing it.

2.  Power folding mirrors don't always retract automatically when locking the vehicle,and sometimes when they do auto retract, they don't fold back out after turning on the ignition and I have to press the button to manually fold them back out

3.  I've found the phone-as-a-key to be a somewhat flaky.  Sometimes it will detect your approach and unlock ok but when you get in to start it says "no key detected" and prompts for the backup passcode.  After a couple more attempts it will detect the phone and start normally.  However I have an ancient Iphone6 so this one could be my phone itself and not the vehicle. I'm in the process of getting a new phone shortly and will try it out afterward to see if the PAAK performance improves.

4.  One thing that irks me is the drive mode defaults to "normal" after every ignition cycle.  It does not stay in the drive mode you left it in when you last turned it off.  Since I have a short daily commute to work I prefer to save gas and be in PureEV mode all the time so as not to run the engine at all unless I want to, or the electric range is depleted.  Every time I start the vehicle (even with a fully charged battery) the engine turns on right away because it is in "normal mode" and then I have to manually set the drive mode to PureEV and after a few seconds the engine shuts off and allows it to run EV only.  According to the manual it does revert back to normal after each ignition cycle.  By using the power flow app on the touchscreen it shows why the engine is running, so the description I get after the initial startup in "normal mode" is  "Engine On Due To:  Heater Setting, Engine Cold".  To me this makes no sense because I remote started with the vehicle connected to the wall charger several minutes before getting in and it pre-heated the seat, steering wheel and cabin electrically to a comfortable temp.  I have also driven for prolonged periods in PureEV mode (at least 30 minutes or more) with the engine off the entire time and it keeps the cabin perfectly comfortable (heating it electrically) without requiring the engine to be on to generate heat.  I really think there should be a setting to allow the driver to stay in PureEV mode all the time if desired (provided the battery charged). 

I have a 2019 Fusion Energi PHEV as well.  I've found on the Fusion (as long as battery has charge in it) it allows you to stay in EVnow mode all the time, even after multiple ignition cycles.  It only changes the EV mode if you manually push the EV button or the battery is depleted and the engine takes over.  With a regularly charged battery, I've been able to run the Fusion for over a month in EVNow exclusively, with the engine never turning on at all, and had no problems maintaining cabin comfort (heating or cooling). 

I would be OK with the engine starting every time.  It may be for a minute, but it opens all the relays/valves/pumps/switches and also moves fuel through the system.  Stagnate gas in the lines is really bad for your car.  Programming the ECU to default to electric is possible, but I would not do it.  It will cost you a few hundred to get your fuel system cleaned to save a few gallons of gas, not worth it IMO. 

As soon as anyone else gets their Aviator GT’s, I’m curious for someone to try the PreserveEV mode and see how it works on theirs.

I had a chance to drive my vehicle extensively yesterday and after driving around the city in PureEV mode I got about 30km of range, with lots of regen braking, until the battery was depleted.  Afterward I had to do a stretch of highway driving and decided to try the PreserveEV mode to see if it would charge up the battery a bit (according to OM anyway).  While in PerserveEV I traveled about 25km on the highway, doing average of 120km/h, with engine purring nicely around 1800-2200rpm.  The whole time the Powerflow app on touchscreen said: “Engine On due to: Charging Battery, Drive Power”  When I reached my destination (about 15-20min later) it didn’t even add back 1km of EV range, the battery gauge still showed empty 0km DTE.

On the flip side when running in EV mode I’ve found just coasting down a hill or gently rolling to a stop at intersections, with my foot off the gas, the regen braking will usually add back 1-2km of EV range and the battery gauge updates itself instantly.

Am I doing something wrong here?  I would think with the engine running constantly in PreserveEV for that amount of time turning the motor/generator constantly it should have at least charged the battery a little bit or somewhat more efficiently than intermittent regen braking.