Aviator GT Order

21 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

As soon as anyone else gets their Aviator GT’s, I’m curious for someone to try the PreserveEV mode and see how it works on theirs.

I had a chance to drive my vehicle extensively yesterday and after driving around the city in PureEV mode I got about 30km of range, with lots of regen braking, until the battery was depleted.  Afterward I had to do a stretch of highway driving and decided to try the PreserveEV mode to see if it would charge up the battery a bit (according to OM anyway).  While in PerserveEV I traveled about 25km on the highway, doing average of 120km/h, with engine purring nicely around 1800-2200rpm.  The whole time the Powerflow app on touchscreen said: “Engine On due to: Charging Battery, Drive Power”  When I reached my destination (about 15-20min later) it didn’t even add back 1km of EV range, the battery gauge still showed empty 0km DTE.

On the flip side when running in EV mode I’ve found just coasting down a hill or gently rolling to a stop at intersections, with my foot off the gas, the regen braking will usually add back 1-2km of EV range and the battery gauge updates itself instantly.

Am I doing something wrong here?  I would think with the engine running constantly in PreserveEV for that amount of time turning the motor/generator constantly it should have at least charged the battery a little bit or somewhat more efficiently than intermittent regen braking.

Your car can't produce the the energy to do a quick charge.  6 hours on a 120V charger would take about 2 days on your car.  The best mode for MPG is Preserve unless you are going to be able to plug in soon.  Look around your area for complimentary chargers.  We have a few near shopping areas and I have a 220 outlet at work.  Over the next few years there will be 10's of thousands of new kiosks installed.  WalMart has been adding them to all of their new stores.  

44 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Your car can't produce the the energy to do a quick charge.  6 hours on a 120V charger would take about 2 days on your car.  The best mode for MPG is Preserve unless you are going to be able to plug in soon.  Look around your area for complimentary chargers.  We have a few near shopping areas and I have a 220 outlet at work.  Over the next few years there will be 10's of thousands of new kiosks installed.  WalMart has been adding them to all of their new stores.  

I get what you're saying, but this has nothing to do with plug-in charging.  I have a Level 2 EV charger (240V) at home and work and there are plenty of public charging stations around. 

What my concern is that OM (and other Lincoln marketing material) specifically says that if the battery is low and you put it in PreserveEV mode while driving it will charge the battery to minimum level for additional EV range (see excerpt from OM and GT fact sheet below).   This is not uncommon on PHEV vehicles for the engine to power the motor/generator and charge the battery when depleted.  My uncle drives a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and I've been in it a few times and once it runs out of EV range the engine takes over to provide drive power AND charge the battery simultaneously which it can charge back up to almost 90% in about half hour.

Like I said in previous post, there is obviously no issue with the regen braking system using forward momentum to spin the motor/generator and recharge that battery to add back range which it does very well.  (Much better than Fusion Energi I will add)  So I'm sure with the engine running it should be able to spin the motor/generator at a higher rpm than it would get from just the forward momentum from regen braking to generate some power to charge the battery a little bit.

I don't like when stuff doesn't work as advertised, but I will admit as a long time Ford/Lincoln supporter with the Aviator GT being my 17th Ford vehicle this is quite normal.  In fact I'm usually more surprised when things DO work as advertised.  I remember on my previous 2017 MKX Reserve it came with "adaptive" LED highlights that didn't adapt, move or change beam pattern at all.

Pages from 2020-Ford-Lincoln-Aviator-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_06_2019.jpg

2020-Aviator-Grand-Touring-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Guess I'm a little confused about the available modes.  Can you set it to function like a normal hybrid, repensishing enough charge via engine and/or regeneration to assit engine for better mileage?  I've read where some other PHEV owners never charge their vehicles but they still get better mileage than the gas only models.

2 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Guess I'm a little confused about the available modes.  Can you set it to function like a normal hybrid, repensishing enough charge via engine and/or regeneration to assit engine for better mileage?  I've read where some other PHEV owners never charge their vehicles but they still get better mileage than the gas only models.

All the modes use the battery in a hybrid fashion.  Preserve will charge a depleted battery back up to around 75% over time.  Preserve just uses the regeneration more aggressively as you use Drive. You will feel the regen process a little more than if you are driving in one of the other modes.  My point above was, you can't drive the 20 or so miles in Pure EV and then think in 30 minutes you'll be juiced up for a few more miles miles.  The motors alternator is 12V, it takes some serious amperage at that level to charge a battery.   

On 1/17/2020 at 2:29 PM, CoolScoop said:

My expired eta dates finally updated to first week of February!  I've also heard of two retail orders that returned from offsite... one shipped already and the other is awaiting shipment.  Hope yours returns soon... keep an eye on your status!

Have you got your truck yet.  I got a text from the dealership, mine arrived this morning.  

5 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Have you got your truck yet.  I got a text from the dealership, mine arrived this morning.  

Nope, eta slipped three more times since then... it's now mid March.  If it doesnt slip again, that would be about 2.5 months since released and 3.5 months since produced.  It appears to have been sitting at the same ramp since produced and seems to be out of Ford's contol now, so I guess its officially in ramp jail.  Wonder what causes shipping delays this long and how often it happens.

Edited by CoolScoop

20 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Nope, eta slipped three more times since then... it's now mid March.  If it doesnt slip again, that would be about 2.5 months since released and 3.5 months since produced.  It appears to have been sitting at the same ramp since produced and seems to be out of Ford's contol now, so I guess its officially in ramp jail.  Wonder what causes shipping delays this long and how often it happens.

I contacted the concierge, 12 days later my truck is at the dealer.  My Mustang was in Vehi ships care for two months.  It was very frustrating.

9 hours ago, wjwolf said:

Very nice order GT 2 weeks ago in Tampa Fl. Not getting info from the dealer on lead and ship times can someone help here....Appreciate it

It will be quite a wait. I ordered my Black Label GT on May 25, 2019 and still do not have a production date. 

20 hours ago, wjwolf said:

Very nice order GT 2 weeks ago in Tampa Fl. Not getting info from the dealer on lead and ship times can someone help here....Appreciate it

Plenty of info out there on the ordering process.  You can order all day long and if the Dealer does not get an allocation for what you want, it will never get ordered.  My dealer has a backlog of 13 people wanting GTs, as he gets allocation, he calls the next person on the list to make sure they still want it.  On popular hard to get allocation, be prepared for a deposit request.  If it is a good dealer they will be honest and up front with your chances of getting one special ordered.  When he has a confirmed allocation, he can give you a DORA.  After that it may take a week or month to get a VIN, depending on what you ordered and commodity availability.  Once you have a VIN then you start waiting to be scheduled.  Once you have a build date it can be 5 days to 5 weeks until the dealer gets your car, or even longer.  There are way too many variables.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUPilot08 said:

It will be quite a wait. I ordered my Black Label GT on May 25, 2019 and still do not have a production date. 

Did you get a VIN?  Is the dealer waiting for an allocation for you.  You may have requested your dealer order a GT on May 25th, but did they have an allocation?  GT production did not get into full swing until November, they kept getting pushed back.  They have been barely trickling out right now also.  There is only a few dozen showing available nationally, but more populate everyday.  

43 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Did you get a VIN?  Is the dealer waiting for an allocation for you.  You may have requested your dealer order a GT on May 25th, but did they have an allocation?  GT production did not get into full swing until November, they kept getting pushed back.  They have been barely trickling out right now also.  There is only a few dozen showing available nationally, but more populate everyday.  

Dealer has allocation for the unit, just waiting on a scheduled build date from what I understand. 

Also understand that my dealer had a few Aviators (don't believe one is mine) that originally had November production dates that got changed to February, and now march.

OK, if he has a production date, he has a VIN, ask for your VIN and it can be tracked.  They scheduled 2nd week of April this week, if yours is not scheduled yet it will be closer May/June.  If you don't have a VIN/production date, I'd just canx and wait for the 2021's.  Very minor changes but the model year will determine the value later down the line.  2021 model orders open Apr 13, scheduling begins May 14th so you are near the 2021s if your not scheduled yet.  Job 1 for 2121MY is July 27.

9 hours ago, mustangchief said:

OK, if he has a production date, he has a VIN, ask for your VIN and it can be tracked.  They scheduled 2nd week of April this week, if yours is not scheduled yet it will be closer May/June.  If you don't have a VIN/production date, I'd just canx and wait for the 2021's.  Very minor changes but the model year will determine the value later down the line.  2021 model orders open Apr 13, scheduling begins May 14th so you are near the 2021s if your not scheduled yet.  Job 1 for 2121MY is July 27.

I've actually considered doing this, but I have a question: what are the odds this just happens again in 2021? How do I know that if I reorder my unit on April 13, and the dealer has an allocation for the unit, I won't be waiting for the unit in February of 2021? 

23 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Plenty of info out there on the ordering process.  You can order all day long and if the Dealer does not get an allocation for what you want, it will never get ordered.  My dealer has a backlog of 13 people wanting GTs, as he gets allocation, he calls the next person on the list to make sure they still want it.  On popular hard to get allocation, be prepared for a deposit request.  If it is a good dealer they will be honest and up front with your chances of getting one special ordered.  When he has a confirmed allocation, he can give you a DORA.  After that it may take a week or month to get a VIN, depending on what you ordered and commodity availability.  Once you have a VIN then you start waiting to be scheduled.  Once you have a build date it can be 5 days to 5 weeks until the dealer gets your car, or even longer.  There are way too many variables.  

I just spoke to the dealer they  have the DORA W638 order placed on 1/9 believes it could be another  2 weeks prior to receiving a vin#. Sounds like they are backed up a bit, stated that we could possibly see our amazing machine by mid April (not holding my breath) Certainly appreciate your comments here. I have an order for the Diamond Blue with Sandstone interior fully loaded with bench seat for grandkids.....Looking forward to seeing the final tax incentive figure anything north of 6k will be a blessing to us....Thanks Again

11 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Did you get it?  If so, when will you be posting a review!!!

Yes I did.  It is still a little early for a full review, even after reading the owners manual, I'm  still discovering how to work things, not so much what it can do, but how to do it.  It was the first GT the dealer had seen so they were not up to speed on features and differences of a Reserve.  With that said, here is a quick opinion of what I think.  It is quick, smooth and luxurious.   The quick will take some by surprise, I believe some bloggers/writers called it rough, jerky, unrefined.  Total BS, it does lurch out when you hit the gas, it's called instant torque.  I felt nothing out of the transmission that was jerky, push the pedal hard and it launches.  It takes a little foot control to take off smooth, after an hour of city driving it pretty much comes naturally.  I did notice after driving my Bimmer in between a few trips, it did take a second to adjust back to the GT modulation.  The ride is awesome, I think it may feel bumps a little more than the non GT due to its weight, but the ride is still beyond anything I've driven lately.  One thing I did for a brief ride is put it in excite mode and hit some back road twistys.  I will do a lot more when the engine is broke in.  Here I think the weight helped, it felt more stable than the Reserve I drove in the same area.  Both were great, but I'm a not a fan of small sports cars feel of G-force in every turn.  The GT is fast and just feels very planted and comfortable, my daughter in law said "it feels like I should be asking for a glass of wine instead of reaching for the oh sheet handles" as we hit 85.  Speaking of speed, it reacts nicely in freeway traffic during passing situations, there is no indication of the extra weight.  The electric motor takes over frequently and you can watch on the big screen what is actually going on in the power train.  In my line of work, this is just plain cool.  I find myself having the car up more than any other screen.  My PAAK installed easily after deleting and reinstalling the Lincoln Way App.  If you try to connect the PAAK and it takes longer than a minute, cancel, delete the app, re-download and install.  I spent a stubborn hour trying to get it work, after doing the re-install it only took 5 minutes to set everything up.  The seats are amazingly comfortable as I already new and was a big part of my decision to buy a Lincoln.  I did set up two profiles for myself, the road cruise mode (put in 3) and my commute mode where I have them set up like Recaros for my sport like freeway trips (key 1).  Not everything is bliss though, the PAAK thinks you are going for a ride every time you walk by with your phone, just like my dog thinking he is going to play when you open the garage door.  You can disable it, but I like it getting ready when I do want to drive.  Speaking of getting ready, none of the settings save unless you set up a profile, I got the seats just right, pushed the seat 1 button and thought that saved the settings, nope they don't save until you have a profile.  Speaking of that, my wife and I can't agree on who is 1 so our cars so sometimes we select the wrong profile.  It is easy in the Aviator, the profile setting has a name.  I really don't have to say much about MPG as it spends a lot of time idling while I show off the interior.  Maybe next week I'll be able to get a good feel.  I did try the all electric and got 25 miles with about 25% city and the rest freeway driving.  So far I'm very pleased with it, no issues minor or major, panel alignment was good.  Give a week or two and I'll update this.

• Like 2

@mustangchief, I think "reviewers" are like movie critics. Boobs. 

Ever notice a lot of these reviewers for these luxury vehicles look like they wouldn't be able to afford a 20 year old Navigator? Yes, I am judging and reviewing them by the way most of them dress and lack knowledge of the vehicles. "I think", "I believe" etc when referencing options and packages. How a vehicle rides is totally subjective. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, mustangchief said:

Yes I did.  It is still a little early for a full review, even after reading the owners manual, I'm  still discovering how to work things, not so much what it can do, but how to do it.  It was the first GT the dealer had seen so they were not up to speed on features and differences of a Reserve.  With that said, here is a quick opinion of what I think.  It is quick, smooth and luxurious.   The quick will take some by surprise, I believe some bloggers/writers called it rough, jerky, unrefined.  Total BS, it does lurch out when you hit the gas, it's called instant torque.  I felt nothing out of the transmission that was jerky, push the pedal hard and it launches.  It takes a little foot control to take off smooth, after an hour of city driving it pretty much comes naturally.  I did notice after driving my Bimmer in between a few trips, it did take a second to adjust back to the GT modulation.  The ride is awesome, I think it may feel bumps a little more than the non GT due to its weight, but the ride is still beyond anything I've driven lately.  One thing I did for a brief ride is put it in excite mode and hit some back road twistys.  I will do a lot more when the engine is broke in.  Here I think the weight helped, it felt more stable than the Reserve I drove in the same area.  Both were great, but I'm a not a fan of small sports cars feel of G-force in every turn.  The GT is fast and just feels very planted and comfortable, my daughter in law said "it feels like I should be asking for a glass of wine instead of reaching for the oh sheet handles" as we hit 85.  Speaking of speed, it reacts nicely in freeway traffic during passing situations, there is no indication of the extra weight.  The electric motor takes over frequently and you can watch on the big screen what is actually going on in the power train.  In my line of work, this is just plain cool.  I find myself having the car up more than any other screen.  My PAAK installed easily after deleting and reinstalling the Lincoln Way App.  If you try to connect the PAAK and it takes longer than a minute, cancel, delete the app, re-download and install.  I spent a stubborn hour trying to get it work, after doing the re-install it only took 5 minutes to set everything up.  The seats are amazingly comfortable as I already new and was a big part of my decision to buy a Lincoln.  I did set up two profiles for myself, the road cruise mode (put in 3) and my commute mode where I have them set up like Recaros for my sport like freeway trips (key 1).  Not everything is bliss though, the PAAK thinks you are going for a ride every time you walk by with your phone, just like my dog thinking he is going to play when you open the garage door.  You can disable it, but I like it getting ready when I do want to drive.  Speaking of getting ready, none of the settings save unless you set up a profile, I got the seats just right, pushed the seat 1 button and thought that saved the settings, nope they don't save until you have a profile.  Speaking of that, my wife and I can't agree on who is 1 so our cars so sometimes we select the wrong profile.  It is easy in the Aviator, the profile setting has a name.  I really don't have to say much about MPG as it spends a lot of time idling while I show off the interior.  Maybe next week I'll be able to get a good feel.  I did try the all electric and got 25 miles with about 25% city and the rest freeway driving.  So far I'm very pleased with it, no issues minor or major, panel alignment was good.  Give a week or two and I'll update this.

Congrats on your new ride, I'm sure it was well worth the wait!  It totally agree with your comments on the ride quality and handling and yes all the reviews I've seen and read don't do it justice.  Anybody I've taken for a test drive in mine (with Excite mode on) is freaked out by how quick it is for such a heavy vehicle.  I took one of my clients from work for a ride  (he drives a Tesla X) and after putting it in excite with the hammer down he was thoroughly impressed with the acceleration. 

I don't know how much EV only driving you've done yet, but one thing that impressed me most about just driving EV is the motor alone has plenty of power for acceleration and it can get to and maintain highway speeds easily without needing the engine to assist.

My Fusion Energi PHEV absolutely SUCKS for power and acceleration in EV mode, you can't even take it on the highway or drive it at a sustained high speed for a long time in EV or it will just deplete your battery so fast.  It can't even make it up a steep hill in EV only the engine has to kick in to assist most of the time. 

The Aviator GT has no problem at all with high speed or climbing hills in EV with no significant impact on the battery range either, which is amazing considering how much bigger and heavier it is than the Fusion.  Ford did a great job with the mod hybrid powertrain on this.

mustangchief, does your HUD have an icon to show the remaining DTE for electric range in it?  Or does it only show the DTE for gas?

According to OM it is supposed to show the EV range in the HUD but mine doesn't for some reason, I was wondering if it's just mine that is missing it.  See below photos of my HUD (shows only gas DTE) and what the manual says the EVIMG_2906.thumb.JPG.766a8eed5226ed16c15e406b30d84d15.JPG DTE should be there as well.

IMG_2905.JPG

Pages from 2020-Ford-Lincoln-Aviator-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_06_2019_Page_1.jpg

8 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

mustangchief, does your HUD have an icon to show the remaining DTE for electric range in it?  Or does it only show the DTE for gas?

According to OM it is supposed to show the EV range in the HUD but mine doesn't for some reason, I was wondering if it's just mine that is missing it.  See below photos of my HUD (shows only gas DTE) and what the manual says the EVIMG_2906.thumb.JPG.766a8eed5226ed16c15e406b30d84d15.JPG DTE should be there as well.

IMG_2905.JPG

Pages from 2020-Ford-Lincoln-Aviator-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_06_2019_Page_1.jpg

Had not noticed but will check on the way home today, its 26 degrees out and I'll wait until it is warmer to go out and check. 

I drove in with the seat heat on high and it is significantly warmer than my Bimmer, had to go back to medium after 10 miles because my tail was cooking. 

I did have a little glitch last night with my iPhone, not sure if it was my phone or the car.  I have been driving with just my phone and when I was leaving work my center stack locked up and asked for my pass code like I was driving without my phone (It had just completed the welcome and let me in)  The car would not start, hmmm.  I put it the correct passcode and it said it was wrong.  So I tried remote start on my phone and it started up and drove home fine, except for the center stack locked still looking for a pass code.  After I was safely in my drive, I did some troubleshooting and my iPhone showed three Aviators connected in the Bluetooth settings. I turned off all the Bluetooth Aviators and tried the passcode, it started the car, but then showed the input passcode screen again.  OK, so I did a cold boot on both, shut my phone off and the car.  Turned the phone on and the car, everything is normal now.  Not sure which one glitched, but Bluetooth had only one approved handshake, so the phone should not have connected to three.  

15 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Had not noticed but will check on the way home today, its 26 degrees out and I'll wait until it is warmer to go out and check. 

I drove in with the seat heat on high and it is significantly warmer than my Bimmer, had to go back to medium after 10 miles because my tail was cooking. 

I did have a little glitch last night with my iPhone, not sure if it was my phone or the car.  I have been driving with just my phone and when I was leaving work my center stack locked up and asked for my pass code like I was driving without my phone (It had just completed the welcome and let me in)  The car would not start, hmmm.  I put it the correct passcode and it said it was wrong.  So I tried remote start on my phone and it started up and drove home fine, except for the center stack locked still looking for a pass code.  After I was safely in my drive, I did some troubleshooting and my iPhone showed three Aviators connected in the Bluetooth settings. I turned off all the Bluetooth Aviators and tried the passcode, it started the car, but then showed the input passcode screen again.  OK, so I did a cold boot on both, shut my phone off and the car.  Turned the phone on and the car, everything is normal now.  Not sure which one glitched, but Bluetooth had only one approved handshake, so the phone should not have connected to three.  

I've found the PAAK to be terrible so far.  I can only get it to work maybe 30% of the time, and that's after reinstalling the Lincoln way app 3 times now.  I encountered the exact same problem with the prompt of the backup passcode and a couple times, and even after entering the correct passcode (and it acknowledging it received the correct passcode) it still won't start and keeps asking again for the passcode.  I'm terrified of getting stranded with the PAAK not working so I've given up for now and will only use the factory fob.  I just got a new iPhone 11 yesterday and will try setting PAAK up from scratch on the new phone (just in case my old iPhone 6 was the problem) and if it doesn't fix the PAAK issues I'm going back to the dealer.