I Drive the Aviator Reserve

I would say it met my expectations AND exceeded them in some areas. I do like the complete package and in getting the Black Label I will be utilizing the benefits often. The overall comfort was a plus as I could easily see driving this vehicle over long distances without issue. There was some noticeable artificial engine sound coming from the dash making me think Ford/Lincoln is pumping a lot of fake engine sound into the cabin because of just how quiet it is and isolated the real engine sound is... it's hard to make a V6 sound good. 

Also, one thing i didn't note was the sound system... the upgraded sound system was EXCELLENT!!! Very powerful where I would have to tone down some of the bass and make some fine adjustments. Sounded great for the time I checked it out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

I would say it met my expectations AND exceeded them in some areas. I do like the complete package and in getting the Black Label I will be utilizing the benefits often. The overall comfort was a plus as I could easily see driving this vehicle over long distances without issue. There was some noticeable artificial engine sound coming from the dash making me think Ford/Lincoln is pumping a lot of fake engine sound into the cabin because of just how quiet it is and isolated the real engine sound is... it's hard to make a V6 sound good. 

Also, one thing i didn't note was the sound system... the upgraded sound system was EXCELLENT!!! Very powerful where I would have to tone down some of the bass and make some fine adjustments. Sounded great for the time I checked it out. 

First, nice review.  The Aviator is definitely stunning.  I was on the verge of foregoing our Explorer ST order and getting a Nautilus Black Label.  The attention to detail of the BL is just stunning.  But I am curious on what benefits of the BL you will be utilizing often.  I was actually educated (thankfully) by another forum member on the BL just a couple days ago and the reality is there are really just 2 things you get on the BL that is above and beyond any other trim package.  You get free car washes anytime you want which sounds great.  But the more I think about it, I never bring my vehicle to a touch carwash as I refuse to let it put fine swirls in the clear coat and/or paint.  You also get 4 full details of the vehicle.  Again I go back to what I just said.  I think I'd rather pay to have it ceramic coated and never have to worry about it again.

I'm really excited to hear about the GT and see test results.

10 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

First, nice review.  The Aviator is definitely stunning.  I was on the verge of foregoing our Explorer ST order and getting a Nautilus Black Label.  The attention to detail of the BL is just stunning.  But I am curious on what benefits of the BL you will be utilizing often.  I was actually educated (thankfully) by another forum member on the BL just a couple days ago and the reality is there are really just 2 things you get on the BL that is above and beyond any other trim package.  You get free car washes anytime you want which sounds great.  But the more I think about it, I never bring my vehicle to a touch carwash as I refuse to let it put fine swirls in the clear coat and/or paint.  You also get 4 full details of the vehicle.  Again I go back to what I just said.  I think I'd rather pay to have it ceramic coated and never have to worry about it again.

I'm really excited to hear about the GT and see test results.

... and thank you!!! 

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

For me it’s the interior of the Black Label vehicles that really seals the deal. 

Agree!!! That's a big one. 

The Aviator Reserve that I drove didn't feel as plush or luxurious as it could - the basic-looking and feeling headliner for one didn't fit the part. There were several soft-touch areas, including the glove box door was soft touch as well as the lower dashboard surrounding it. However the lower door trim was hard plastic that surrounded the door pockets. Not a deal breaker as most will not notice. The other surfaces were well well pieced together with a good fit and finish. What was Cadillac thinking with that poor XT6???? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Agree!!! That's a big one. 

The Aviator Reserve that I drove didn't feel as plush or luxurious as it could - the basic-looking and feeling headliner for one didn't fit the part. There were several soft-touch areas, including the glove box door was soft touch as well as the lower dashboard surrounding it. However the lower door trim was hard plastic that surrounded the door pockets. Not a deal breaker as most will not notice. The other surfaces were well well pieced together with a good fit and finish. What was Cadillac thinking with that poor XT6???? 

Yeah I’ve had Reserves as loaners and for another $3-5k it seems well worth it to me. I really don’t like the wheels on my BL Continental but I genuinely like the BL wheels that my Aviator will have. But yeah, the Alcantara headliner or whatever Lincoln calls it along with the nicer leather and to me the price difference is well worth it—especially if you go for a fully loaded Reserve. I could live with a Reserve for sure, but I like the little extras that BL offers. 

Thanks for the review and more importantly saying you are 6' 3  I might be a smidge shorter 6' 2 and 3/4, but 6' 3 with shoes.  I'm about 220.  One of the reasons I went with the Aviator was the seat comfort on long drives.  The noises should easily be drowned by the stereo or my wife, which ever is louder at the time.  My daily driver is a BMW X3 and my F-150 is the long haul driver and tow vehicle.  You do a lot of reviews and assume you have driven Bimmer X series.  How was the steering feel, comparatively.  I'm not looking for precise as that is a driver quirk, just in general.  The seats are the same as the Gator, do they feel the same height wise?  Goofy questions I know, and I'm chomping at the bit to get in one this weekend.  This has been the longest week I've had in a while just waiting.  I've only seen it from 200 feet away.  It looks good, but my biggest worry is roominess and comfort.  As another person roughly the same size, could you expound on comfort?  Thanks again

12 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Thanks for the review and more importantly saying you are 6' 3  I might be a smidge shorter 6' 2 and 3/4, but 6' 3 with shoes.  I'm about 220.  One of the reasons I went with the Aviator was the seat comfort on long drives.  The noises should easily be drowned by the stereo or my wife, which ever is louder at the time.  My daily driver is a BMW X3 and my F-150 is the long haul driver and tow vehicle.  You do a lot of reviews and assume you have driven Bimmer X series.  How was the steering feel, comparatively.  I'm not looking for precise as that is a driver quirk, just in general.  The seats are the same as the Gator, do they feel the same height wise?  Goofy questions I know, and I'm chomping at the bit to get in one this weekend.  This has been the longest week I've had in a while just waiting.  I've only seen it from 200 feet away.  It looks good, but my biggest worry is roominess and comfort.  As another person roughly the same size, could you expound on comfort?  Thanks again

Sure... I will try. I have a new BMW X7 right now in for review. It is nearly the same size up front and the Aviator seats a tad better for comfort and use of the massage feature vs. the BMW. As far as room in the second row, the BMW X7 has the Aviator beat a little. Though, I don't think im ever going to spend much time in the second row. Aviator, for the money, seems to offer MORE of substance compared to the X7 or even the X5. I do enjoy the BMWs and have owned a couple. Just for price new vs new, the Aviator is much better value in my opinion that still offers up good space for the driver and front passenger yet gives you decent accommodations for the second row. I can't speak of the third row because I simply didn't have the time. The steering in the Aviator ALMOST felt just like the BMWs even with the BMW having rear steering. I was surprised that the Aviator has such a quick initial turn-in but seemed to back-off after a full turn of the wheel with its aggressiveness... if that makes any sense. 

At your size you will have NO problems. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Thank You, it helps quite a bit.  I doubt I will spend much time in the rear unless being chauffeured by the kids when they visit or I visit them.  My biggest apprehension jumping in early was the "Drivers Box"  I love long drives (10 hours+) but hate the cramps and back pain associated with.  I drove Denali XL's from 2003 to 2015 when I got the F-150.  The F-150 is surprisingly more comfortable on the road than the Denali (after GM went to a firmer seat).  Older and stiffer, I'm looking for the "old man sports wagon" to haul the wife and dogs on long trips.  I love the Bimmer for zipping to work (23 miles of interstate) but anything longer and I need to stop and stretch.  I'm a fan of the Bimmer seats for sportiness , they are nice for short drives, comparable to my Mustang.  I'm happy to hear real positive reviews.  I'd never expect Lincoln to say they made something uncomfortable, and their boasting had me worried a little that they over exaggerated.  I expect a little fluff, but great to see they didn't get too far fetched.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Just to clarify, are you saying Lincoln pumped in the engine noise ? Any idea if the noise can be deleted/ turned off?

We drove the same Aviator today and found the engine noise in the cabin to be a deal breaker for an auto that cost this much...

otherwise, the Aviator Reserve II was solid.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

They turned off the fake engine noise on the Edge ST a few months ago.  I suspect they’ll do the same with Explore/Aviator or you’ll probably be able to do it with Forscan.

Fake engine noise on a Lincoln, of all things? What were they thinking? The whole idea reminds me of playing with Hot Wheels as a kid making raspberry sounds with my tongue, but I know that with ever-more-quiet interiors lots of carmakers are now doing it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BTCM said:

Just to clarify, are you saying Lincoln pumped in the engine noise ? Any idea if the noise can be deleted/ turned off?

We drove the same Aviator today and found the engine noise in the cabin to be a deal breaker for an auto that cost this much...

otherwise, the Aviator Reserve II was solid.

I guess you drive around in complete silence, what combustion car can you do this in?  I may be one in one thousand, but the stereo rocks like mad and the orchestra symphony's are pure bliss.  Yes, I am an audiophile with an enormous playlist.  If the engine noise interfered with my music, only then would it be a deal breaker.  Even listening at a reasonable 78db (where you should listen at, the app is available to measure) I could not hear anything but music.  I did push the RPMs up above 4000 while checking out the stereo.  You could always get a hybrid?

• Like 1

again, i only had limited time but i did notice a hint of the fake sound ... however, it was mostly at near full throttle that i noticed it. I probably only notice it because of how picky i am with my test drives... and... the car was very very quiet initially on idle and cruising. i’m sure it is not a deal breaker, after all, you can disable it via some method . i did with my ford focus rs... very easy. next time i drive one i will spend more time and report back.... if that’s before i get mine. lol

5 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I guess you drive around in complete silence, what combustion car can you do this in?  I may be one in one thousand, but the stereo rocks like mad and the orchestra symphony's are pure bliss.  Yes, I am an audiophile with an enormous playlist.  If the engine noise interfered with my music, only then would it be a deal breaker.  Even listening at a reasonable 78db (where you should listen at, the app is available to measure) I could not hear anything but music.  I did push the RPMs up above 4000 while checking out the stereo.  You could always get a hybrid?

I'm pretty certain the engine noise, if proven to be artificial through certain speakers, will NOT interfere with the stereo/music sound. I've noticed on may vehicles that I've reviewed that any engine sound pumped through the speakers essentially goes away with certain stereo volume levels. Plus, with such a sound system on the Aviator, the tones were very clear and defined and I didn't notice any distortion or change at speed during my drive. I believe the auto-speed-dependent-volume control was set to OFF as well when I went through the menus.