2020 Corvette revealed

akirby

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh ok then, just say it that way then.

I did.

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I'd still take a Boxster over a Vette for the same money.  There is no comparison beyond the straight line acceleration.

I meant that literally - I would buy a Boxster or a 911 before I bought any Vette.   I expect the Boxster to handle better because it's smaller and lighter and arguably handles better than the 911 because of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I did.

I meant that literally - I would buy a Boxster or a 911 before I bought any Vette.   I expect the Boxster to handle better because it's smaller and lighter and arguably handles better than the 911 because of that.

And you would be wrong.  And by the way difference in interiors is more than just color and trim.  The top trim has nicer leather and more of it, along with better seats and more options.  

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings

Autoextremist just wrote an article about C8. http://www.autoextremist.com/

"I think this new Corvette is an incredible achievement and a testament to the True Believers at GM Design, Engineering and Product Development. And even though there are quite a few hardcore Corvette traditionalists out there who decry the loss of the old front engine configuration, this is a spectacular machine by every measure: visual appeal, performance, engineering detail and outstanding value. And it will appeal to owners of competitive makes - including Porsche, with its skyrocketing prices - for the first time.

Until further notice, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is the most seductive combination of design, performance and value available in the market."

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I did.

There is nothing wrong with what you want. But I don't think it's fair to project your preference on the C8 where other buyers in the market may not feel the same way.

And Boxster does handle better than 911... that's not up to debate. It is a fact. 911 engine is in the wrong place like the previous Corvettes (except in the other direction).

Corvette is basically 911/R8/NSX class car for Boxster/Cayman price. You can also option up a Boxster GTS to $100k. The point is GM has delivered something that is going to re-shuffle the value proposition in the mid engine sports car. We don't know yet how it will handle but you don't switch to mid engine layout to end up with an inferior sports car given the C7 was no minced meat.

And for the record, I probably will buy an inferior 911 over Boxster or C8 as well if money is no object. There is just something about the Porsche... But for all practical purpose, I will never be able to afford a new 911 so I'd be shopping for used 911 vs. new C8 if I'm really in the market and it will be really difficult to justify not buying the new C8 vs. a 5+ years old 911. This is why I said the value proposition is dramatic game changer.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TSL said:

No stick will be a challenge....

Traditional manual transmissions are close to dead in the high end sports car market. DCT or torque converter automatics dominate here. About 85% of C7 Corvettes produced last year were equipped with the 8-speed automatic.

4 hours ago, msm859 said:

And you would be wrong.  And by the way difference in interiors is more than just color and trim.  The top trim has nicer leather and more of it, along with better seats and more options.  

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings

Skidpad is more about tires than pure handling.  I stand by my assertion that all things being equal the smaller lighter Boxster will have a slight handling advantage over the larger heavier vette.   It's simple physics.   Everything else is subjective.

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

But I don't think it's fair to project your preference on the C8 where other buyers in the market may not feel the same way.

What part of I was unclear?  I never projected my preference to anyone else.  I said I would take the Boxster.  I couldn't care less what other people prefer.

I agree with "Autoextremist" Pete D. about new Vette. It's finally mid engine and not costing "an arm & a leg". Has good constructive criticism, but also he does trash "internet haters" too.

The ones saying "I wont get it since no stick". Well, were you really in the market?

BTW: Porsche is now a CUV brand, for upper class suburban parents picking up kids from soccer practice, that happens to sell small sports cars. JK, LOL  ;-)

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Corvette is basically 911/R8/NSX class car for Boxster/Cayman price. You can also option up a Boxster GTS to $100k. The point is GM has delivered something that is going to re-shuffle the value proposition in the mid engine sports car. We don't know yet how it will handle but you don't switch to mid engine layout to end up with an inferior sports car given the C7 was no minced meat.

And for the record, I probably will buy an inferior 911 over Boxster or C8 as well if money is no object. There is just something about the Porsche... But for all practical purpose, I will never be able to afford a new 911 so I'd be shopping for used 911 vs. new C8 if I'm really in the market and it will be really difficult to justify not buying the new C8 vs. a 5+ years old 911. This is why I said the value proposition is dramatic game changer.

I already admitted that C8 is a performance bargain.  No question.

However, I don't think C8 will take a lot of Porsche sales even though it's cheaper.   It will come a lot closer than previous gen Vettes - that's for sure.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 630land said:

I agree with "Autoextremist" Pete D. about new Vette. It's finally mid engine and not costing "an arm & a leg". Has good constructive criticism, but also he does trash "internet haters" too.

Is he a paid consultant for GM? Seems like his tune changes when you cut him off-which came out in an article on Jim Farly a few weeks back. I remember him being positive on Ford then completely changing his tune. 

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Is he a paid consultant for GM? 

No sir. Autoextremist is completely independent of any automaker. That's why he always tells it like it is. And why his rants and opinions, while often extreme and controversial, are respected.

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Is he a paid consultant for GM? Seems like his tune changes when you cut him off-which came out in an article on Jim Farly a few weeks back. I remember him being positive on Ford then completely changing his tune. 

He has a punching bag of the month where he hounds on the same things rant after rant until he switches to the next one.  Give him time, he'll be right back to bashing GM.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

No sir. Autoextremist is completely independent of any automaker. That's why he always tells it like it is. And why his rants and opinions, while often extreme and controversial, are respected.

Respected?  His nickname is "autowhiner."  He's always whining about somebody or something.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, akirby said:

I did.

And this is how it goes for most sales of Porsche, buyers like the cars for what they are
and have no real reason to switch away. Having said that, if Chevrolet have any intention
of conquesting Porsche owners, I bet Porsche will respond with some killer deals/leasing.

oK, GM has spent the money on developing the C8 Corvette and chaningng the production
line to build it, so now they have to get as many sales as expected to hav return on investment.
Apart for the engine moving places and the price going up maybe $2K-$3K, I see very little
changing with the various model progressions and pricing. Forty somethings like that sort
of busy styling on the Corvette so I guess GM has given it every chance of maximizing sales
but again, I don't think those sales will come from Porsche or NSX or R8, the sales of the
last two are so low as to be inconsequential.

Vehicle...........June sales.........Sales Year to Date
Acura NSX.............19......................151
Audi R8.................62......................268
Porche 718..........458....................4,620 (Boxter)
Porche 911..........422....................2,155

Forget conquesting, there should be more than enough sales from infatuated
GM fans lining up to buy the Corvette, satisfy those buyers first and then
consider who else may be interested. I think the sheer weight of sales
numbers will eventually bring conquest buyers to the table.

And if Porsche has a brain in its corporate head, it will be moving quickly
with killer leases to protect its sales and customers from conquesting in a
similar way as BMW and MB did with repelling Cadillac's ATS and CTS.

This will definitely appeal to most Corvette fans and a lot of Camaro fans as well.  It will definitely benefit the race teams.  

To truly compete with other supercars they need a more refined engine and a better/more expensive cockpit.  But just as a better Corvette it’s fine.

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

This will definitely appeal to most Corvette fans and a lot of Camaro fans as well.  It will definitely benefit the race teams.  

To truly compete with other supercars they need a more refined engine and a better/more expensive cockpit.  But just as a better Corvette it’s fine.

Does the Corvette still have fiberglass panels/body?

As much as this is a great Corvette, if GM was looking to conquest buyers from Porsche/Audi,
it would need to do a lot better with actual interior and power train (a TT V6 may be better fit)

Edited by jpd80
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 11:29 PM, mackinaw said:

I always see myself owning a Ford product, but Lordy, I could be tempted by a Porsche.

I rented this 2019 beauty for 2 days when I drove from NH to NY for the auto show.  If was an unbelievable 653 miles I put on it (it had 650 when I picked it up lol).  From going to the auto show and taking a tourist drive up some mountains and windy roads, is was an unbelievable joy to drive.  I'd take this over a vette any day period.

The PDK trans is insane!!

20190427_171103.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I rented this 2019 beauty for 2 days when I drove from NH to NY for the auto show.  If was an unbelievable 653 miles I put on it (it had 650 when I picked it up lol).  From going to the auto show and taking a tourist drive up some mountains and windy roads, is was an unbelievable joy to drive.  I'd take this over a vette any day period.

The PDK trans is insane!!

20190427_171103.jpg

No thanks.  Looks like a S2000.  I wouldn’t own a Vette either but the C8 looks great and GM deserves some credit.  

Edited by 02MustangGT