2020 Corvette revealed

akirby

Meh!  I like the car looks, but if you didn't tell me it was a Vette, I would never guess it was.  The HP is very under whelming for a big V8.  I'm sure the 95K version will scoot, for 60K, I'll still take a Roush Mustang or GT350.   I saw the green one on R&T, OMG Ugly.  

• Like 1

That side profile is very Ferrari 458 which is a good thing.

They tried to keep the Vette styling cues with the taillights and front end but I don't think that really works with the rest of the body.

I think they should have kept the current Vette and slotted this one around $125K with a better interior and clean sheet styling and a more refined engine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'd love for Ford to make a vehicle like this that remains in production.

Ditto!

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Natural lightning in white, most likely the base model (no wing).  Looks good.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-5.jpg

That view looks great! I think it hides how messed up the rear is from that view.

Overall, not bad.  The front half looks great, while the rear is a mess.  The interior wall of buttons is just a big WTF?  $60k for a mid-engine sports car seems like a bargain.

I gave it a 7. It looks better than I thought it would, but there are still design elements I don't like:

-The square exhaust outlets are odd, and don't seem to fit the design. Something more rectangular or angular would've fit more.

-The rear is very Camaro with vents in the bumpers, but looks better than initial leaks.  I'm not sure it fits with the mid engine look though.

-There's something off in the center section of the car for me - between the "fang" and rear wheel area - seems like a lot of dead space or something that looks odd.

-I also don't like the wheels.

The interior looks good though, aside from the passenger seeming very isolated with the "great wall" of buttons there - maybe it's not as imposing as it seems in photos.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I'd take any Mustang over a Vette any day of the week, regardless of price.

Coming from a Ford Enthusiast site, this is the answer I've been waiting for.

So,,,, let's re-phrase the question; if you had to choose between any Mustang and a mid-engine Ford GT, do you still pick the Mustang?  Can you honestly take the Brand out of the equation?

HRG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

So,,,, let's re-phrase the question; if you had to choose between any Mustang and a mid-engine Ford GT, do you still pick the Mustang?  Can you honestly take the Brand out of the equation?

HRG

Has nothing to do with Ford loyalty.   I don't care for Corvette styling, although the C7 has grown on me.   My favorite sports cars would be

2019 Ford GT

Porsche 911 GT3

Ferrari 458

Porsche Boxster S speedster

Mustang GT350/GT500

• Like 1

If this was $100k+, I’d hate it. The overall shape isn’t bad, it’s just been done a hundred times on every super car since 1990. I’m not a huge fan of the black on the side scoop either, but on the configurator site, it allows you to choose body color so that should hide it a bit better.

At $60k, it’s a different story. You get the mid engine super car look and performance in a package that “should” be more reliable, more road friendly, and less costly to maintain than an actual super car at a fraction of the price.

i wish ford would build something like this.

What surprises me about this car is it's not that great. Almost every car nut has drawn a Corvette at some point in their childhood years, and every car nut has a mental image of what a Corvette should look like. This just isn't up to that standard. I'm really surprised at its mediocrity - if you were a designer at GM, wouldn't this be a once in a lifetime opportunity? Can anyone look at this and say they hit it out of the park?

From Robert Cumberford, the design editor at Automobile:

I am deeply sorry to be severely disappointed by the styling of the C8. I hoped for something really new and exciting, not a boringly generic supercar, mostly indistinguishable from the many and varied unimaginative devices that show up regularly at the Geneva auto show. Its styling is confused—and downright messy in fact. I count a dozen horizontal lines, not to mention four convoluted taillights; four nice rectangular exhaust tips; plus varied slots, vents, grilles, indented surfaces, and wing elements . . . just across the rear fascia. The front is no better, and the profile with its short, stumpy nose is equally surprising. Maybe it's all meant to look purposeful, but to me it seems just a careless, cluttered graphic composition, not worthy of Corvette history and what we expect of this technically brilliant descendant of the Jaguar-inspired elegant original C1 from 1953.

5 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

What surprises me about this car is it's not that great. Almost every car nut has drawn a Corvette at some point in their childhood years, and every car nut has a mental image of what a Corvette should look like. This just isn't up to that standard. I'm really surprised at its mediocrity - if you were a designer at GM, wouldn't this be a once in a lifetime opportunity? Can anyone look at this and say they hit it out of the park?

As I stated previously, I like this new Corvette.  That being said, I do wonder if GM squandered an opportunity to do something really different.  The car is derivative of almost every other mid-engine two seat sports car out there. 

But being an old guy, my favorite 'Vette will always be the 1963 Sting Ray.  Sharp looking then, and to my eyes, now.

12 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

In all honesty, when has GM actually come out with something that is styling leader in its segment in the past 30-40 years?

Ford has done it multiple times since 1982. 

53 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

I was going to say I'd take a GT350R (Performance Blue) over a GT . . . . then I just configured a new GT in '66 Heritage Edition in Matte Black . . . . now I'm perplexed again!  ?

Starting price under $60k... what the f'ing hell? Really? And this time, the engine is the in the right place. This will be the performance bargain of the century.

Half the price of NSX, not to mention R8 or Ford GT. And no BS required to buy one, no "invitation" needed, just order one from any Chevy dealer. GM is going to kick a lot of butt and sell a lot of C8. Much respect to what they've done and it's frankly amazing.

• Like 1

"... stereotypical buyer is a middle aged overweight gold chain wearing divorcee."

Maybe in the 1970s and 80s, but new Vettes mainly sell to 65-80 y/o men reliving the 1960's.

Middle aged men today were 20-something in the 1990's, and sure don't wear gold chains. More like still wearing a goatee and listening to Peal Jam. Sort of like the guy in flannel shirt in meme posted with "Um no".

But, GM needs to move to upscale 'coastal' buyers, not "flannel guys".

Once again, GM has answered a question that was never asked, you can see that
it got the shits on big time over the Ford GT and became so hell bent on "beating it"
that Chevrolet lost sight of its own Corvette buyer needs and preferences

The styling is so busy and generic that it reminds me of the confused mess on the
front of the Silverado - too many design elements and just like flavors in cooking,
less would have   been so much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 630land said:

"... stereotypical buyer is a middle aged overweight gold chain wearing divorcee."

Maybe in the 1970s and 80s, but new Vettes mainly sell to 65-80 y/o men reliving the 1960's.

Middle aged men today were 20-something in the 1990's, and sure don't wear gold chains. More like still wearing a goatee and listening to Peal Jam. Sort of like the guy in flannel shirt in meme posted with "Um no".

But, GM needs to move to upscale 'coastal' buyers, not "flannel guys".

Actually I believe new Vettes sell to younger people today.  Bought my first one 18 years ago - in my 40's.  Still married, never wore a gold chain, not too bad of shape.  The C7 I currently drive has garnered more attention than any of the prior 3 owned and by a full range of demographics.  My 11 year old granddaughter loves for me to take her to school and all her classmates love the car.  We watched the reveal together and she was asking if I was buying it - so she could have my old one lol.  Bang for the buck nothing touches it.  I have owned 3 Mustangs, 4 Corvettes and 5 Ford trucks. No reasons to be "partisan"  just buy what fits the best for your life style.

Any mention of Ford GT and this Vette need to stop now. Just stop already. Just because they both are mid engine doesn't mean the Vette will remotely equal the performance of the GT. We have a lot buzz with the 59995 base version that won't be 0-60 under 3.0 and have 0 performance metrics for it, besides price. Nobody knows what the Z51 package will cost or how it will handle. We do know that it will be under 0-60 in 3 seconds, that's it.

What we do know is the GT was made for a race series and was limited by engine size for it's class. It's nearing the end of its production life and has done it's job.

Now, in year 2021 or 2022 when GM releases the TT model that will probably come in around 100k plus. We may be hearing it best GT lap times. Who knows?  We know very little about the Vette other than what GM wanted us to know last night. The assumptions that this Vette, which I like the looks,  is going to kill it are unfounded yet. We won't know for at least 10 months.