2020 Corvette revealed

akirby

The problem with the corvette, is it's too cheap. It's hard to lust after a car driven almost exclusively by everyones white, upper middle-class dad.  It is/will be the commoners supercar. 

If it don't turn the ladies heads, then all you're doing is getting from A to B really fast.

Do people actually race corvettes? It seems like a great car for it, but I don't think I've ever seen videos of them at the strip or on the track being driven by owners.

8 hours ago, probowler said:

The problem with the corvette, is it's too cheap. It's hard to lust after a car driven almost exclusively by everyones white, upper middle-class dad.  It is/will be the commoners supercar. 

If it don't turn the ladies heads, then all you're doing is getting from A to B really fast.

Do people actually race corvettes? It seems like a great car for it, but I don't think I've ever seen videos of them at the strip or on the track being driven by owners.

Well I am on my 4th Corvette and they are the best bang for the buck.  Have never cared how many other people are buying them, nor am I buying them to "turn the ladies heads".  Having said that it is amazing how often my C7 after 5 years still "turns heads" with positive comments.  I have "caught"  my 12 year old granddaughter in the car with her girlfriend on more than 1 occasion.  When the C8 reveal came out she was asking if I was going to buy it - so that she can have the hand me down C7. She has been driving with me in it the last 5 years and has seen hundreds of people compliment the car.  Although "cheap" compared to more exotic cars - it is still out of reach for many - especially a 2 seater.

13 hours ago, probowler said:

Yes sir, Corvette is one the most popular models for amateur racing and motorsports. In the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Lone Star Corvette Club holds dozens of competitive racing events and driving schools every year. Autocross, HPDE, road rallies, drag racing, open road racing.

AutocrossTop.JPG

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SubVette said:

I thought the C7 was too Transformorish, The C8 is a poor man's Ferrari, Too much "look at me" attention grabber,  I would be afraid to park it anywhere. I'll stick with my old C6 LOL 

08Vette.jpg

Well I owned 2 of those -  a 2005 and 2008.  Did a factory delivery on the 2005. Great cars.  And before that I had a 2001 C5.  I can tell you though none of those got the attention I get with my 2014 C7 - even 5 years later.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:39 AM, msm859 said:

Well I owned 2 of those -  a 2005 and 2008.  Did a factory delivery on the 2005. Great cars.  And before that I had a 2001 C5.  I can tell you though none of those got the attention I get with my 2014 C7 - even 5 years later.

My neighbor has a 2019 C7 and they are great looking cars, and as stated many times, performance bargains. 

7 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-how-fast-the-2020-corvette-c8-will-hit-the-1-4-mile

This article at Carbuzz is stating the Corvette has a 1/4 mile time of 11.3 at 121mph.

Did Ford say the Mustang Shelby GT500 would hit the 1/4 mile in less than 11 ?

Yes, Ford stated under 11 seconds.  But 60k for a 11.3 0-60 vs 75k + markup for under 11 seconds..  quite the cost difference.

Edited by blwnsmoke

7 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Yes, Ford stated under 11 seconds.  But 60k for a 11.3 0-60 vs 75k + markup for under 11 seconds..  quite the cost difference.

Or buy a base mustang GT and a supercharger kit for $40k.  It’s not just about 0-60.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:32 AM, probowler said:

What a bunch of non-sense.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on the C8 power output..

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/21/c8-chevy-corvette-horsepower-torque-dynamometer/?yptr=yahoo

More details in link..

"The numbers after the first run in fifth gear run: 558 horsepower and 515 pound-feet of torque. At the wheels.

Assuming parasitic driveline losses of 15% would mean the Corvette was putting out around 656 hp and 606 lb-ft at the crank. If we assume a 10% loss, the crank figures come to about 620 hp and 570 lb-ft. Either set represents a shocking surplus over the Corvette's official rating 495 hp and 470 lb-ft."

Edited by blwnsmoke

8 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Interesting article on the C8 power output..

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/21/c8-chevy-corvette-horsepower-torque-dynamometer/?yptr=yahoo

More details in link..

"The numbers after the first run in fifth gear run: 558 horsepower and 515 pound-feet of torque. At the wheels.

Assuming parasitic driveline losses of 15% would mean the Corvette was putting out around 656 hp and 606 lb-ft at the crank. If we assume a 10% loss, the crank figures come to about 620 hp and 570 lb-ft. Either set represents a shocking surplus over the Corvette's official rating 495 hp and 470 lb-ft."

Thats also a prototype. Final results may vary.