Aviator Cargo Area Dimensions

MKC4ME

When someone has an opportunity to measure, I am interested in the cargo area dimensions - primarily the largest rectangular area - width and length, both behind the first row seating and second row seating.  These dimensions never seem to get published.

It is published as cubic feet. Not very large for its size, though. except for the volume behind the 3rd row, which is reasonably large.

Passenger Volume 140.5  
Cargo Volume Behind First Row [cu. ft.] 77.7  
Cargo Volume Behind Second Row [cu. ft.] 41.8  
Cargo Volume Behind Third Row [cu. ft.] 18.3  

I already had these numbers... not the information I need.  I want to know what size of sheet goods will lay flat.  I need someone to measure a real Aviator.  One came into my local dealer but was gone in a couple of days.

12 minutes ago, MKC4ME said:

I already had these numbers... not the information I need.  I want to know what size of sheet goods will lay flat.  I need someone to measure a real Aviator.  One came into my local dealer but was gone in a couple of days.

You might need to specify which model you're interested in, seems like some of them have a pretty large console in the 2nd row.

HRG

It would probably be a Reserve I with second row bench seating so no 2nd row console.  I currently have an MKC with towing package and use a trailer for things that won't fit inside.  However, I do some woodworking and don't like hauling nice wood in an open utility trailer.  I used to have a Sienna van that I could carry 48" x 96" material in but sold it (after 13 years) when I got the MKC (and utility trailer).

21 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

I can guarantee you the Aviator won't be able to hold 48X96" materials, the small passenger volume is the limit.  

Not sure, I hear the new Explorer can actually carry a 4' x 8' piece of plywood.  The Aviator should be the same.

I've measured the width on a 2020 Explorer XLT, it's 48.5" between the rear wheelwell housings. Did not measure the length.

But, comparing the Explorer to an Aviator, the Lincoln loses 12 cu.ft. (overall), and 6 cu.ft. behind the 2nd row, so something is different.

HRG

2020 Aviator volume.JPG

2020 Explorer volume.JPG

Aviator hip and shoulder room, as well as headroom and hence passenger volume are less than the Explorer.  This is probably due to additional sound insulation and padding.  It is interesting to note that the cargo volume behind the third row is essentially the same for both vehicles.

I am not looking to accommodate 4' x 8' sheets as I usually get them cut to a more manageable size depending on the current project.  I am more interested in knowing what the practical size limit is.

I found I had previously downloaded tech specs for the Explorer that included the following:

• Cargo width, wheelhouse 48.1"
  • Cargo length closed – first 83.9"
  • Cargo length closed – second 49.8"
  • Cargo length closed – third 20.8"
  • Cargo length above floor, behind first row 78.5"
  • Cargo length above floor, behind second row 43.4"
  • Cargo length above floor, behind third row 12.7"

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two sets of lengths - perhaps due to seat-back slope.

I haven't found equivalent information for the Aviator.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply, it has been a long 10 days.  Anywho, the widest point in the third row is 42 inches, no sheet of plywood unless you lean it.  It can accommodate the 96 inch length with the seats forward about halfway.  The lowest height load point was 39inches.  The explorer appeared wider at the third row, but I did not measure it.  

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Sorry it took so long to reply, it has been a long 10 days.  Anywho, the widest point in the third row is 42 inches, no sheet of plywood unless you lean it.  It can accommodate the 96 inch length with the seats forward about halfway.  The lowest height load point was 39inches.  The explorer appeared wider at the third row, but I did not measure it.  

The 2020 Explorer is 48 in wide behind the 3rd row and that is pretty even with the 3rd row folded because the cupholders sit flush with the seats when folded.  My 2012 Explorer is 42 in wide at the narrowest point with the 3rd row folded.

5 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

The 2020 Explorer is 48 in wide behind the 3rd row and that is pretty even with the 3rd row folded because the cupholders sit flush with the seats when folded.  My 2012 Explorer is 42 in wide at the narrowest point with the 3rd row folded.

I measured the area where the seats are when up as that is the narrowest section.  It had 48 inches behind the 3rd row seats.