All Electric F-150 Prototype Tows over a million pounds

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/20706515/ford-electric-f150-pickup-truck-pull-million-pound-train

The electric prototype is seen pulling 10 double-decker rail cars over 1,000 feet. It does it once when the rail cars are empty and a second time with them loaded with 42 regular, gas-burning F-150s. The latter stunt puts the entire load at 1.25 million pounds, according to Linda Zhang, chief engineer on the electric truck project. An all-male retinue of fluorescent vest wearing truck owners are brought in to gawk and shout “no way” at the battery-powered F-150’s feats of strength — because apparently there were no women F-150 owners to be found

It’s a nifty stunt meant to allay the concerns of the truck-driving public that electric can be “Built Ford Tough” too. Ford has a lot riding on the electric F-150, which will drop around the same time as the company’s forthcoming battery-powered Mustang-inspired crossover. The company has said it will spend $11.5 billion to produce over a dozen electrified models (which includes EVs and hyrbids) by 2022.

In the fine print, Ford describes the towing stunt as a “one-time short event demonstration” and claims it is “far beyond any production truck’s published capacity.” Right now, Tesla holds the record for pulling the heaviest load, when a Model X towed a 287,000-pound Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner nearly 1,000 feet on a taxiway at the Melbourne Airport in Australia last year.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Well,  purely a stunt but it indicates how close we are to a hybrid and fully electric F150. 

Which is a good thing-Ford needs to do stuff like this at times and it sure as hell isn't going to let the F-series get attacked by other brands that might offer electric powered pickups. I wonder how far behind GM and FCA are in offering a fullsized pickup that is electrified 

31 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Which is a good thing-Ford needs to do stuff like this at times and it sure as hell isn't going to let the F-series get attacked by other brands that might offer electric powered pickups. I wonder how far behind GM and FCA are in offering a fullsized pickup that is electrified 

I doubt that GM is very far behind if at all. They have said that they are working on an electric pick-up and GM has more experience building electric vehicles than does Ford. FCA is probably quite a ways behind both Ford and GM developing electric trucks.

28 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I doubt that GM is very far behind if at all. They have said that they are working on an electric pick-up and GM has more experience building electric vehicles than does Ford. FCA is probably quite a ways behind both Ford and GM developing electric trucks.

I’m actually surprised FCA hasn’t  gone in the opposite direction and thrown. a Hellcat engine in the Ram. Seems like it’s their solution for everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

GM has more experience building electric vehicles than does Ford.

How many hybrids and plug in hybrid vehicles has Ford sold since 2005?   A crapload - far more than GM.   And PHEVs are way harder than BEVs.

I'll see your silly little 300K lb airplane Mr. Musk and raise you a 1.25M lb train!

You do not want to poke the bear.   F150 is the biggest meanest grizzly out there.

What a fantastic stunt/commercial.   I can't believe they complained about not having women truck owners when the lead engineer is a woman!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

You mean GE......

Just now, Trader 10 said:

We're talking about all electric vehicles - not hybrids.

There is no practical difference between a plug in hybrid and a BEV except the lack of an ICE and a bigger battery.  It's harder to build a PHEV because you have to integrate the electric motor and the ICE.   I don't believe GM or Toyota has any advantage over Ford when it comes to building a BEV.  They've known how to do it for years - they've just waited for it to become economically viable.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

There is no practical difference between a plug in hybrid and a BEV except the lack of an ICE and a bigger battery.  It's harder to build a PHEV because you have to integrate the electric motor and the ICE.   I don't believe GM or Toyota has any advantage over Ford when it comes to building a BEV.  They've known how to do it for years - they've just waited for it to become economically viable.

I agree with you - I just don't think Ford is much ahead of GM as far as an all electric pick-up.

10 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I agree with you - I just don't think Ford is much ahead of GM as far as an all electric pick-up.

GM should be way ahead of Ford given their MO of doing one off things like ELR before they're profitable,  but I suspect they were not even looking at an all electric pickup until they heard Ford was doing one.  Just my opinion - could be totally wrong.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't believe GM or Toyota has any advantage over Ford when it comes to building a BEV.

I agree. Tesla is far ahead of everyone else right now with BEV passenger cars. But with BEV pickup trucks, nobody has yet come out with anything more than prototypes and science fair projects. Tesla, Ford, GM, Toyota, etc. are on equal footing with BEV pickups. First one to mass produce them will have it made. 

I think Ford is in the best position here. Especially with the investment they've made in Rivian and the partnership with VW.

• Like 1