All Electric F-150 Prototype Tows over a million pounds

The Rivian deal was a cheap way to work with and not compete with what could have been a major competitor, it also basically took them out from working with another OEM and the cost was less than One Quarter profit of what Ford makes off the F-150.

57 minutes ago, buddysystem said:

This stunt felt a little stupid like some GM commercials.  I'm surprised that the strap held.  Would have expected a solid link or a real tow hitch.

I too was more impressed with the strap.  

To if the had three or more log chains (if they could do the job), would have made it more dramatic. 

I wonder if they experimented on how fast to pull a d when to stop since it appeared they were near the end of track.

5 hours ago, buddysystem said:

This stunt felt a little stupid like some GM commercials.  I'm surprised that the strap held.  Would have expected a solid link or a real tow hitch.

The coefficient of friction is so low all it had to do was break friction of the wheel bearings (and steel wheel on rail) and it would move the cars..kinda surprised legal let them go ahead with this but shoving anything up teslas nose is good move

Edited by snooter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The Rivian deal was a cheap way to work with and not compete with what could have been a major competitor, it also basically took them out from working with another OEM and the cost was less than One Quarter profit of what Ford makes off the F-150.

The Rivian deal is does not make them exclusive to Ford.  That was the entire reason they did not go with GM -  GM wanted exclusivity, Rivian did not.  Rivian will continue to work with other manufacturers, GM included, if they can work out a deal.

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The Rivian deal is does not make them exclusive to Ford.  That was the entire reason they did not go with GM -  GM wanted exclusivity, Rivian did not.  Rivian will continue to work with other manufacturers, GM included, if they can work out a deal.

I was wondering how Rivian is going to fit into Ford's lineup-then it dawned on me...if they get the SUV variant as part of the deal, we will most likely see it as a Lincoln. The pickup seems to be slotted in-between the Ranger and F-150, so I guess we will see that as a higher end Ford product-maybe call it a F-100e?

It is not exclusive, but what other OEM company is going to work with them now? GM's offer wanted full company control; while Ford doesn't have a controlling interest only investment, it has a seat on Rivian's Board. FoMoCo offers allowed Rivian to remain independent while allowing Ford a voice at the table. That seat lets them see what any other OEM is going to propose to do and respond accordingly. 

The investment also gets Ford first refusal to Rivian's electric/carbon credits if it needs them in the future for markets. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

Obviously it's a marketing stunt but it does show how much power you can get from electric motors and batteries.   I'm sure some folks were skeptical about that.

As for stopping I'm sure there is enough friction for it to stop within a few feet. 

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That's right, GM just realized how far behind it is with a BEV truck..

Both GM CEO Mary Barra and President Mark Reuss confirmed recently that their BEV pickup truck is currently under development. So in terms of design & development, GM is not "far behind" Ford or Tesla. https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/gm-talks-electric-pickups-again

The big question is which of those three companies (or maybe a different company altogether) will be first to mass produce BEV pickup trucks and make them available for sale to retail consumers. I think Ford is in the best position here. 

34 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Both GM CEO Mary Barra and President Mark Reuss confirmed recently that their BEV pickup truck is currently under development. So in terms of design & development, GM is not "far behind" Ford or Tesla. https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/gm-talks-electric-pickups-again

The big question is which of those three companies (or maybe a different company altogether) will be first to mass produce BEV pickup trucks and make them available for sale to retail consumers. I think Ford is in the best position here. 

The Bronco has also been "in development" since what, 2016?  Just because something's "in development" doesn't mean it's far along.

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Just because something's "in development" doesn't mean it's far along.

Yes sir. Announcements like this one from Ford as well as the ones from Barra and Ruess at GM and Elon Musk at Tesla indicate that all three companies are very serious about BEV pickup trucks. As I mentioned, ultimately what matters is getting from the development phase to the "ready to sell" phase. When exactly that will happen is still unconfirmed for all three automakers.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Obviously it's a marketing stunt but it does show how much power you can get from electric motors and batteries.   I'm sure some folks were skeptical about that.

As for stopping I'm sure there is enough friction for it to stop within a few feet. 

Uh no...but you gave it a good try....

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The Bronco has also been "in development" since what, 2016?  Just because something's "in development" doesn't mean it's far along.

Excellent point. Rivian is a start-up which I don't believe has sold a single vehicle yet. Their truck platform may be of great use to Ford but also could turn out to be of little or no value. Time will tell.

18 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Excellent point. Rivian is a start-up which I don't believe has sold a single vehicle yet. Their truck platform may be of great use to Ford but also could turn out to be of little or no value. Time will tell.

My point was there's a tangible something to Ford's EV truck.  There's a tangible something to Rivian's EV truck even if they've not gone into production yet.  We haven't seen anything from GM aside from it's "in development."  Yet some think Ford is the one "behind"

• Like 1