F-250 or F-350?

F250FL

I have a 2013 F-250 and use it to pull a 42' RV.  Per my RV dealer, the RV I have is about as much as I can pull with my truck. So, I need more if I get a bigger RV. I've heard the towing capability on a 350 isn't much different than a 250.  And a dually is too big for my everyday use when not towing.  Thoughts on how to tow more without getting the dually?  Appreciate the feedback!

A pretty open-ended question, since we don't know anything about your '13.  Looking at the 2013 RV & Towing guide, the highest F250 rating was a standard cab 2WD 6.7 Diesel at 16,800#.  The 2019 guide has a F350 SRW 6.7 TD at 21,500#. The 2020 guide is not available yet, that I could find.

Not sure if a nearly 5000# increase is enough for you?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjogPaesM7jAhXSVs0KHcsOBoAQFjABegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ford.com%2Fcmslibs%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fbrand_ford%2Fen_us%2Fbrand%2Fresources%2Fgeneral%2Fpdf%2Fguides%2FPrelm19RV%26TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_May4.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1hOQucZjZNRiUzB1vnEcDq

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

You are liking way over your payload rating, but the '13 was essentially the same truck between F250 and F350, the main difference being the payload sticker on the door.

Personally, with that length (and likely weight which you don't mention), I would go with an F350 SRW for the extra payload if you are going new, or invest in some air bags if you are planning to keep what you have.  Guarantee you are over the payload rating for your F250.

• 4 weeks later...

Pin weight (5TH wheel) of your RV is 15% (or 20% to be safe)  max (loaded) GVW of your RV...leveling kit does nothing for payload and dont ever fall into any bullshit and believe it does..a class V conventional hitch tongue weight is 10% to 12% of the max GVW of any trailer or RV...Class V hitch max tongue weight is 1800lbs...no idea your setup...but generally anything you are pulling over 18,000 GVW puts you into DRW...I bet your F250 is now at max or over rated payload...dog, kids, coolers, beer, soda girlfriend/wife all must be added into payload...if you running 5th wheel thats already in truck bed that weight has to be included as well into payload...payload sticker on door..that you need to find and go from therd

Also, GCWR of your f250 should never be exceeded, again nobody has any idea of your setup and weights..no idea on what f250 you have either (diesel, gasser, cab config and so on)

Edited by snooter

4 hours ago, snooter said:

Pin weight (5TH wheel) of your RV is 15% (or 20% to be safe)  max (loaded) GVW of your RV...leveling kit does nothing for payload and dont ever fall into any bullshit and believe it does..a class V conventional hitch tongue weight is 10% to 12% of the max GVW of any trailer or RV...Class V hitch max tongue weight is 1800lbs...no idea your setup...but generally anything you are pulling over 18,000 GVW puts you into DRW...I bet your F250 is now at max or over rated payload...dog, kids, coolers, beer, soda girlfriend/wife all must be added into payload...if you running 5th wheel thats already in truck bed that weight has to be included as well into payload...payload sticker on door..that you need to find and go from therd

Also, GCWR of your f250 should never be exceeded, again nobody has any idea of your setup and weights..no idea on what f250 you have either (diesel, gasser, cab config and so on)

Irregardless of the many unknowns...towing any 42' RV without DRW is just short of "What ya thinkin". Surprised you have not been pushed into the medium by a cross wind. DRW for stability and safety is the only prudent thing to purchase now, let alone your probably over tow ratings/payload now by pulling with a F250. I would guess you have a Power Stroke?? with rest unknown. Lets say your RV is 13500lbs loaded which translates to a 2700lbs pin weight (that is part of your payload rating). The 750lbs (or more) in people and gear in the truck takes us to 3450lbs payload rating. Too much unknown here but your f250 MAY just eek in (UNLESS you have a Power Stroke) on payload (GVWR) but you really should be looking at DRW and stepping up to a f350 or above. Right now I would not be pulling that trailer with your f250 until you find your exact trailer weight capacity and your f250 payload and trailer weight rating.

Edited by snooter

• 5 weeks later...

Hi... just purchased 2018 F350, SRW, diesel, 6 3/4 bed with 3385 avail for cargo. Charts a little confusing. Want to make sure I can pull 14000 fifth wheel with room to spare. Planning on driving around country.  I believe the charts say I can pull 18000, and I figure the pin weight would take 2100-2600# from the 3385 available.  Thanks in advance .

2 hours ago, F350hauler said:

Hi... just purchased 2018 F350, SRW, diesel, 6 3/4 bed with 3385 avail for cargo. Charts a little confusing. Want to make sure I can pull 14000 fifth wheel with room to spare. Planning on driving around country.  I believe the charts say I can pull 18000, and I figure the pin weight would take 2100-2600# from the 3385 available.  Thanks in advance .

You've got this, right?  Might as well ask ice-capades for the window sticker, so you can confirm options

HRG

2018 F350 SRW 5th wheel towing.pdf

Edited by HotRunrGuy

I pull a 42' fiver that has a pin weight of 3460#.. my limiting factor is payload  ( 3365# i think ) .. I am under my RAWR (7100#) and my tires capacity ( 3750# x2= 7500#) .. I have been puling  like this for many years and never have been pushed into a medium, No white knuckle driving, no excessive sway.  My "15" SRW is an awesome truck, I am waiting to see the info on the 2020's to see if the payload capacities have changed. IF and WHEN I start towing more than on weekends and short trips, I will entertain the idea of a DRW,  until then I will probably stay with a SRW... ** AS LONG AS I am  under my rear axle and tire ratings.

I cannot and will not tell anyone what truck to buy, but i can tell me experiences towing.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, jelange64 said:

Right now have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 TT. I am looking at an F250 with the 7.3 gas. Should I stay with the F250 or up to the F350 and why. Thank you in advance.

The 7.3 is a less expensive option on the 350 vs the 250, so run both thru build and price and see what the total difference really is.

HRG

8 hours ago, jelange64 said:

Right now have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 TT. I am looking at an F250 with the 7.3 gas. Should I stay with the F250 or up to the F350 and why. Thank you in advance.

Well that’s impossible to answer without more info on how you’re going to use it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jelange64 said:

Just really going to tow my 8500# (32'10") travel trailer. Possible to go up to an 11000# travel trailer. That is about it. And some dirt/rock moves.

If you are going gasser, and staying in those towing limits, then you'll be fine with the F250.  I went with the F350 for the extra 1500 lbs of payload, but I've also go the diesel and tow a fifth wheel.  That gasser saves 700 lbs, so you should be good with the F250.  Enjoy!