Baby Bronco spotted testing

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Hopefully we get some interior shots soon. I wonder how much it differs from the escape.

Should be 95% different.  Using the same interior as Escape wouldn't make any more sense than using the same exterior.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, passis said:

Some media are saying that baby Bronco would compete with the Renegade. I thought it would be  placed slightly above the Escape, which is already slightly above the Compass. But I guess we are meant to be confused...

New Escape has grown to 180 inches long, Baby Bronco was always described as shorter wheelbase compact utility, not subcompact, that’s Ecosport

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

New Escape has grown to 180 inches long, Baby Bronco was always described as shorter wheelbase compact utility, not subcompact, that’s Ecosport

If anything, we are still about 24 months or so before the the new affordable nameplate comes out that we have next to no info on besides it getting greenlit quickly. 

I'd also assume its going to one of the plants in Mexico, since none of the expected products (TC, TC Pickup, Scout, Mach E, Fusion/Mondeo Crossover) will equal the numbers that the Fusion sedan or Fiesta did?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If anything, we are still about 24 months or so before the the new affordable nameplate comes out that we have next to no info on besides it getting greenlit quickly. 

I'd also assume its going to one of the plants in Mexico, since none of the expected products (TC, TC Pickup, Scout, Mach E, Fusion/Mondeo Crossover) will equal the numbers that the Fusion sedan or Fiesta did?

I'm willing to be that Scout on its own could easily fill the volume lost from dropping Fiesta.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I wonder if that's actually the Fusion / Mondeo Crossover,  possibly something that also captures some Flex buyer sales too..

• Like 1

The Scout and Mach E will easily outsell what the plant produced for the Fiesta. There is also another electric vehicle planned for the plant. That plant was always drastically under max production with just the Fiesta.

The Fusion/MkZ plant will get the TC, small pickup, and joining crossover. It will likely at least match the Fusion/MkZ production of two years ago (notice I did not say 3-4 years ago at its peak).

I really do not even understand why Ford thought they, at one time, needed another plant in Mexico for the Focus. There was no need for it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if that's actually the Fusion / Mondeo Crossover,  possibly something that also captures some Flex buyer sales too..

Ford has or will have so many utilities, and the Fusion "Outback" as well, that another one would cannibalize sales. I think that the affordable vehicle will be a sedan(possibly sized in between compact and midsize). That was the impression I got from the announcement. If it's a tweener, it could slot into the Ford China lineup as well.

Edited by AGR

6 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

It will also cannabilize Edge sales. 

4 hours ago, AGR said:

Ford has or will have so many utilities, and the Fusion "Outback" as well, that another one would cannibalize sales. I think that the affordable vehicle will be a sedan(possibly sized in between compact and midsize). That was the impression I got from the announcement. If it's a tweener, it could slot into the Ford China lineup as well.

You both seem to think that a Fusion crossover would eat into Edge sales, that may be so
but perhaps it adds or is that saves more car sales than eating int Edges sales......
Keep in mind that we also have Bronco mid sizer arriving in the next 18 months too..

Ford definitely has a crossover planned to replace the Fusion, so a new crossover was in the
the plans before the commotion about Fusion cancellation - what has changed is the name
thanks to pressure from the dealers wanting to keep the cache that's built up in Fusion name

13 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Those spy shots make it look close in size and greenhouse shape to this right here.

2011-Ford-Escape-FrontSide_FTESC111_505x375.jpg

This what I'm thinking too, a clever use of the First Gen Escape's top Hat/Silhouette
to give a chunkier version to counterpoint the sleek, smooth styling of new Edge.
I think this is a smart plan because it goes to what Escape buyers have liked about
their vehicles and is less about Jeep's vehicle sizes, I think it's good that they don't
quite align and that there's still room below for a new Ecopsport as buyers seem to
be warming up to the current version.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AGR said:

Unless I missed something, Flat Rock has a lot of extra capacity, too. Anyone know what's going there? From what fuzzy has said, it would have to be cars only.

Correct, I think the palates used there are smaller and intended for cars only, there's a rumor
that MKZ will join Continental at FRAP when Fusion car production ends but that could be wrong

Interesting aside on the CD4 Cars
Vehicle................width.........length...........wheelbase
Fusion..................72.9"..........191.7"............112.2"
Taurus..................73.9"..........196.7"............116.1"
MKZ.....................73.4"..........194.1"............112.2"
Continental..........75.1"..........200.1..............117.9"

4 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

It's gaining electric midsize crossovers for Ford and Lincoln.

I thought that those BEVs were being assembled in a separate building or
was that the EV/AV Transit Connect commercials that transferred to Mexico?

27 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

You both seem to think that a Fusion crossover would eat into Edge sales, that may be so
but perhaps it adds or is that saves more car sales than eating int Edges sales......
Keep in mind that we also have Bronco mid sizer arriving in the next 18 months too..

Ford definitely has a crossover planned to replace the Fusion, so a new crossover was in the
the plans before the commotion about Fusion cancellation - what has changed is the name
thanks to pressure from the dealers wanting to keep the cache that's built up in Fusion name

This what I'm thinking too, a clever use of the First Gen Escape's top Hat/Silhouette
to give a chunkier version to counterpoint the sleek, smooth styling of new Edge.
I think this is a smart plan because it goes to what Escape buyers have liked about
their vehicles and is less about Jeep's vehicle sizes, I think it's good that they don't
quite align and that there's still room below for a new Ecopsport as buyers seem to
be warming up to the current version.

There were a lot of people disappointed in the more urban and feminine style of the 2013 and newer Escape versus the boxy 2012 and older models so this baby Bronco should appeal to those people. I always thought the '08-'12 Escapes were quite handsome little SUVs.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

There were a lot of people disappointed in the more urban and feminine style of the 2013 and newer Escape versus the boxy 2012 and older models so this baby Bronco should appeal to those people. I always thought the '08-'12 Escapes were quite handsome little SUVs.

Such a shame that Ford saw everything in black and white, that diversity was seen as duplication.
The value of clearly different styling approaches creating almost sub-brands within Ford.

I sense that a lot of energy  and "can do" is coming back into Ford, opportunities for real growth
as opposed to just building more and more of the one type Escape, adding chunky Escape = clever.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, I think the palates used there are smaller and intended for cars only, there's a rumor
that MKZ will join Continental at FRAP when Fusion car production ends but that could be wrong

Interesting aside on the CD4 Cars
Vehicle................width.........length...........wheelbase
Fusion..................72.9"..........191.7"............112.2"
Taurus..................73.9"..........196.7"............116.1"
MKZ.....................73.4"..........194.1"............112.2"
Continental..........75.1"..........200.1..............117.9"

I thought that those BEVs were being assembled in a separate building or
was that the EV/AV Transit Connect commercials that transferred to Mexico?

Not sure how it will work, but that is where they are scheduled for. 

17 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Not sure how it will work, but that is where they are scheduled for. 

I see that but those EVs aren't scheduled to begin until 2023, presumably for a 2024 model.
I wonder if those vehicles will  the affordable BEVs using VW's  platform...

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

there's a rumor

That rumor has been around for about as long as I've worked at Ford. At this point I'm not holding any stock in it until it actually happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That rumor has been around for about as long as I've worked at Ford. At this point I'm not holding any stock in it until it actually happens. 

I just don't see Continental and Mustang supporting more than a single shift, would Ford let that continue for another four years?

Just now, jpd80 said:

I just don't see Continental and Mustang supporting more than a single shift, would Ford let that continue for another four years?

You would think not but at this point who knows? They already dropped second shift a few months ago. I get the feeling they don't really know what to do with that place so it's just status quo for now. 

23 hours ago, AGR said:

Isn't the Edge pretty much a Fusion "Outback" already? I don't see the point.

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Isn't the Edge pretty much a Fusion "Outback" already? I don't see the point.

There is a subtle difference though as the Fusion Crossover is still more car like than Edge.
I think that's important to the mix, as Fusion buyers haven't gone over to the Edge so maybe
Ford thinks that  something closer to what those buyers know will work better.

ford-mondeo-station-wagon.png&f=1

ford-edge-st-2018-side-view.png&f=1

Edited by jpd80