Baby Bronco spotted testing

39 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think the large difference in price has a lot to do with that 

I was thinking more in terms of where all the Titanium buyers had gone, no one likes
buying almost the same car they've just traded in.

but you're right about price as the majority of Fusion sales today are SEs with a bit of incentive behind them.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

There is a subtle difference though as the Fusion Crossover is still more car like than Edge.
I think that's important to the mix, as Fusion buyers haven't gone over to the Edge so maybe
Ford thinks that  something closer to what those buyers know will work better.

ford-mondeo-station-wagon.png&f=1

ford-edge-st-2018-side-view.png&f=1

They probably aren’t going to straight up wagons either, so I’d imagine it’s somewhere in between those two.

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

They probably aren’t going to straight up wagons either, so I’d imagine it’s somewhere in between those two.

But as we've seen with Ford's active treatment, it's little more than slightly higher ride height and plastic arches.

27 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

But as we've seen with Ford's active treatment, it's little more than slightly higher ride height and plastic arches.

Ford didn’t bring the fusion wagon to the US for a reason. I doubt they would bring it now with more plastic cladding and think it would sell better than the existing fusion. It’s gonna have to be more different than that.

15 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Ford didn’t bring the fusion wagon to the US for a reason. I doubt they would bring it now with more plastic cladding and think it would sell better than the existing fusion. It’s gonna have to be more different than that.

Just like the reason that Ford didn't bring Ranger to the US, that reason probably no longer exists either.
You can bet money on "whitespace", "crossover", "near car" or whatever fancy word Ford likes using that
it all means one thing, crossover statonwagon with raised body height and plastic wheel arches.

Think about it, if that vehicle was changed more than that, it then becomes too close to Edge
and I'm not saying it will be the station wagon unchanged because there's also a Mondeo
5-door hatchback too, so there could be a clever melding of both to form a new vehicle.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

Edited by jpd80

17 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Oakville will likely get the Fusion CUV since it is the only plant set to get Ford's larger sized FWD architecture in North America thanks to the next generation Edge/Nautilus. 

It just makes sense.

Yet they're permanently cutting personnel with no mention of additional product to replace Flex and MKT.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nothing in this industry is permanent except for maybe plant closures. 

Could future jobs at OAC be a bargaining chip with UNIFOR?
Why am I not surprised by that.....

Given how many times Ford has changed plans in the last few years, nothing is beyond belief.

Edited by jpd80

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Could future jobs at OAC be a bargaining chip with UNIFOR?
Why am I not surprised by that.....

Given how many times Ford has changed plans in the last few years, nothing is beyond belief.

Probably

Ford won't leave Canada entirely so if they are bluffing, then its pretty poor bluff.

Besides, they don't have another plant that could fit the Edge and Nautilus. 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, 2005Explorer said:

Isn't the Edge pretty much a Fusion "Outback" already? I don't see the point.

1. We don't know what next gen Edge will be like

2. Ford's strategy which they previewed calls for 2 or 3 utilities per segment to cover all the bases - one that is  sporty more car like, one that is rugged and off road capable, and one that is somewhere in between that has broad appeal.

3. Current Edge already has 2 different body styles to fill 2 of these boxes mentioned above. Bronco is coming to filled the rugged off road box. So that gives Ford plenty of options to try to figure out where to move Edge.

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Probably

Ford won't leave Canada entirely so if they are bluffing, then its pretty poor bluff.

Besides, they don't have another plant that could fit the Edge and Nautilus. 

Go back a step, my reply was in relation to Flex and MKT being kept as part of Unifor's now expiring contract,
so all I was thinking was that before Ford commits to another product for OAC (The just makes sense Fusion CUV )
Ford would want a new contract in place before committing to anything. I'm not convinced Fusion CUV will go there btw.

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

1. We don't know what next gen Edge will be like

2. Ford's strategy which they previewed calls for 2 or 3 utilities per segment to cover all the bases - one that is  sporty more car like, one that is rugged and off road capable, and one that is somewhere in between that has broad appeal.

3. Current Edge already has 2 different body styles to fill 2 of these boxes mentioned above. Bronco is coming to filled the rugged off road box. So that gives Ford plenty of options to try to figure out where to move Edge.

I believe Fuzzy was saying the next-gen Edge gets escape-like styling.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Current Edge is basically two different models - the sporty looking 5 seat fastback and a square back 7 seat one that looks almost like a minivan. Ford will replace both of these and one of them will inherit the Edge name, we just don't know which one is which yet.

Midsize utility #1 - sporty looking, probably with 5 seats to replace Edge and Fusion/Mondeo

Midsize utility #2 - middle of the market, probably with 7 seats to replace Edge and S-Max/Galaxy

Midsize utility #3 - rugged looking (Bronco)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh god no, but just like the Scout is the yin to the Escape yang, the Edge and Bronco will have a similar situation. However the Edge won't have quite as soft of an appearance as the Escape does. 

I do not think it would be hard for Ford to sell an Edge along with a Fusion Active.

Heck, the only reason why we will not have the Focus Active, Escape, and Maverick selling side-by-side-by-side is due to the trade war. If not for that, we would have all three.

29 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Heck, the only reason why we will not have the Focus Active, Escape, and Maverick selling side-by-side-by-side is due to the trade war. If not for that, we would have all three.

Not exactly. Focus Active was kinda dead after it ranked in focus groups. The China tariffs just provided an excuse to actually pull the plug. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I do not think it would be hard for Ford to sell an Edge along with a Fusion Active.

In my opinion, the “Active” treatment works best on hatchbacks. Hatches are already seen as sporty so there’s not much of a leap going from regular hatch to active. The same can’t be said for wagons. I’d imagine the active package just doesn’t work as well with a wagon. (Was the focus wagon even offered with the active treatment in Europe?) This is why I think the fusion cuv will be something different then just a lifted fusion wagon.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I find that styling to be a little too soft. Perhaps it will be less so in person. 

On on a side note, I had an Edge Titanium service loaner for a few days and found it to be a very competent vehicle. 

Edited by tbone

7 hours ago, T-dubz said:

In my opinion, the “Active” treatment works best on hatchbacks. Hatches are already seen as sporty so there’s not much of a leap going from regular hatch to active. The same can’t be said for wagons. I’d imagine the active package just doesn’t work as well with a wagon. (Was the focus wagon even offered with the active treatment in Europe?) This is why I think the fusion cuv will be something different then just a lifted fusion wagon.

Focus Stationwagon is available in regular trims as well as ST Line and Active
I wonder if the affordable model is this rather than Focus Active Hatch....just a thought..

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1