Baby Bronco spotted testing

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Well, a lifted wagon still works better than a sedan...

ford-ka-urban-warrior.jpg

That looks like they went to the Aztek school of putting teeny-tiny wheels on something that's ostensibly an off-roader (albeit a soft-roader). It just looks wrong.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, akirby said:

Tire carrier?

Highly doubt it... external spare tire is a IIHS crash test nightmare. Also, I think it will have a lift gate not a swing gate which rules out external spare... but I could be wrong.

I'm going with housing for lift gate handle. It is not too big as someone mentioned... it's about the right size. Remember, it also has to fit a bunch of other things in there like rear camera wiring and potentially cross traffic and parking sensor radar control unit.

Edited by bzcat

31 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Highly doubt it... external spare tire is a IIHS crash test nightmare. Also, I think it will have a lift gate not a swing gate which rules out external spare... but I could be wrong.

I'm going with housing for lift gate handle. It is not too big as someone mentioned... it's about the right size. Remember, it also has to fit a bunch of other things in there like rear camera wiring and potentially cross traffic and parking sensor radar control unit.

2020 Defender has an external spare tire so it can be done.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

ford-baby-bronco-spy-shot-14.jpg

It appears there's clearly an asymmetrical design much like the Discovery.

You can see in the earlier spy pics that the handle area is somewhat offset.  An important thing to point out as well - it appears Baby Bronco will have separate liftglass like Expy (and like Escape/Explorer used to have) - you can see the "channels" cut out for the gas struts in the pillars of the liftgate, and in the earlier spy shots, you can see the handle under the wiper.

I have a couple theories:

1 - The license plate in the bumper is a fake location, and the large opening you're seeing is actually for an off-centered license plate that "dangles" below the opening we're seeing cut out there.

OR

2- perhaps the bumper plate is correct, and the liftgate opening is a spot for both the liftgate AND liftglass handle/release and a spot to mount some optional accessories.  I'm guessing they'll try to pile accessories on this model too.

Edited by rmc523

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

Interesting that the tailgate is asymmetrical.  Note how the top accent line goes all the way to the left taillight, but not the right side.  Also, the Ford logo is mounted on the left side as opposed to center.

Quoting myself...unless that orange robot thingee in the foreground is screwing up the image and making the accent line look asymmetrical.

Just now, Anthony said:

Quoting myself...unless that orange robot thingee in the foreground is screwing up the image and making the accent line look asymmetrical.

It's hard to tell because I oddly can see both.  I can see an indentation on the left that looks like it's asymmetrical.

At the same time, I can also see right above the right side of the oval what looks like the "reverse" of the angle/square corner that we see on the right side of the vehicle.

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

You can see in the earlier spy pics that the handle area is somewhat offset.  An important thing to point out as well - it appears Baby Bronco will have separate liftglass like Expy (and like Escape/Explorer used to have) - you can see the "channels" cut out for the gas struts in the pillars of the liftgate, and in the earlier spy shots, you can see the handle under the wiper.

Thank god-I was thinking the same thing!

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

ford-baby-bronco-spy-shot-14.jpg

It appears there's clearly an asymmetrical design much like the Discovery.

I have a couple theories:

1 - The license plate in the bumper is a fake location, and the large opening you're seeing is actually for an off-centered license plate that "dangles" below the opening we're seeing cut out there.

OR

2- perhaps the bumper plate is correct, and the liftgate opening is a spot for both the liftgate AND liftglass handle/release and a spot to mount some optional accessories.  I'm guessing they'll try to pile accessories on this model too.

Gas struts??? Public enemy no.1. I can’t believe Ford wouldn’t use prop rods in place of these hideous devices!

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

The shape is quite similar to that of the orange model shown in the dealer presentation. Hopefully most of the details in that rendering will make it to the production model. It was quite attractive for an otherwise dull segment. 

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

ford-baby-bronco-sheetmetal-02-156873587

That hole is pretty far up the lift gate, given you can see the amount of exposed area still to be covered with a bumper cover.

It would have to be that handle with room for trim and backup camera.

License plate would be lower in the bumper cover.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:32 AM, Anthony said:

Interesting that the tailgate is asymmetrical.  Note how the top accent line goes all the way to the left taillight, but not the right side.  Also, the Ford logo is mounted on the left side as opposed to center.

As is customary for our Broncos! 

post-10464-1209073866.jpg

And would be the necessary placement if you featured a spare tire in the traditional spot. 

Looking at that last picture, does it seem the rear door is swung out sideways an inch or two....ie. this will be a side-swinging rear door as opposed to pull-up?

Look at the gap on the right side of the door as opposed to the left.  looks like it is open a bit on the left side and hinged on the right.