2015 Escape front suspension problems?

HotRunrGuy

My sister has a 2015 Escape, not quite 40K miles. Last week she takes it to her local Ford dealer for a Works, and gets a $1500+ estimate that it needs tie-rod ends and other front-end work. Suburban-driven vehicle, is it even possible that after 4 years @ 10K/year it needs this much work?  Taking to my local independent shop for a 2nd opinion this weekend.

HRG

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

My sister has a 2015 Escape, not quite 40K miles. Last week she takes it to her local Ford dealer for a Works, and gets a $1500+ estimate that it needs tie-rod ends and other front-end work. Suburban-driven vehicle, is it even possible that after 4 years @ 10K/year it needs this much work?  Taking to my local independent shop for a 2nd opinion this weekend.

HRG

Do you have a copy of the estimate?

Chances are there is a tie rod end and alignment plus some wallet flush items. But the total is all what you remember. I know a guy who has a Camry and they said he needed tires and alignment for $2500. Of course that was not the only items on the estimate. It had OEM tires and alignment plus a 40k service with all the flushes. But all he notices was tires and $2500. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Chances are there is a tie rod end and alignment plus some wallet flush items. But the total is all what you remember. I know a guy who has a Camry and they said he needed tires and alignment for $2500. Of course that was not the only items on the estimate. It had OEM tires and alignment plus a 40k service with all the flushes. But all he notices was tires and $2500. 

Understood. This dealer is within walking distance to her work, so it's convenient.  But,,, if the independent inspection yields considerably different results, I'll have to advise her not to use this dealer anymore, based on the apparent attempt to "gouge" a SWF.

HRG

31 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Understood. This dealer is within walking distance to her work, so it's convenient.  But,,, if the independent inspection yields considerably different results, I'll have to advise her not to use this dealer anymore, based on the apparent attempt to "gouge" a SWF.

HRG

Oh I understand where you are coming from. It’s still premature for any of that to fail unless it’s heavy service, aka taxi, potholes, curb strikes.

22 hours ago, twintornados said:

Do you have a copy of the estimate?

OK. Sway bar links, Front struts & mounts, Rear shocks.  2 images below, the Works Report Card, presumably filled-out by the Technician, and the quote/recommendations. What I find interesting is that the entire Report Card has check-marks in the far left (OK at this time) column, there is a 2nd check-mark on the shocks/strut line, made with a different pen, same pen as used to highlight the recommend extra work.

My interpretation is that the Tech who inspected the vehicle passed it, someone else decided to "add" the additional recommendations. Another interesting note, the Brake fluid reservior was not bolted in. Really?

HRG

2015 Escape repair2 recc.jpg

2015 Escape repair recc.jpg

Edited by HotRunrGuy

I have never heard of Suncore...but you can get a complete left and right assembled unit for $147.20...yes, for the pair.

https://www.suncoreindustries.com/product/21801/front-pair-of-quick-complete-strut-spring-assemblies-2013-2018-ford-escape

Also, Monroe makes Quick Strut assemblies for the 2015 Escape...$177 a piece, but if price is king....Suncore is the cheapest way out. 

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/272751

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/272750

Front Pair of Quick Complete Strut & Spring Assemblies - 2013-2018 Ford Escape

Edited by twintornados

So my question is how do they know the strut and strut mounts are bad? It’s very very rare you can visually see a bad strut. Unless there is a noise complaint or bad tire wear or is damaged. It’s Very hard to see that a gas strut is bad. Sway bar links can be loose or torn boots so a visual on that isn’t hard. There again, a noise complaint would be expected. 

Second opinion time for sure. 

22 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I had a 2014 Escape that had both front and rear control arms get replaced under warranty due to becoming very noisy over bumps at around 30k miles. I can't remember if they were lower or upper. So these things do happen with low mileage 

However, they are causing a concern which is noise.