Looks like GM is following Ford and FCA's lead...

silvrsvt

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, that already happened about 6 months ago. The last Buick sedan assembled in the U.S. came off the line at GM's Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly Plant on February 15, 2019.

And you didn't even read the article...no more Buick CARS sold in the US

On 7/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, silvrsvt said:

And you didn't even read the article...no more Buick CARS sold in the US

You said Production, not sales (originally before you edited it).  So technically rperez was correct as much as I hate to say that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did some looking. In 1995, the Big 3 sold a total of 68 car models in the US. It was GM 34, Ford 18, and Chrysler 16. 25 years later(2020) they will sell a total of 15! You have to add in the Tesla Model 3 and S to get to 1/4 of what the domestic automakers sold a quarter century ago.

3 hours ago, AGR said:

I did some looking. In 1995, the Big 3 sold a total of 68 car models in the US. It was GM 34, Ford 18, and Chrysler 16. 25 years later(2020) they will sell a total of 15! You have to add in the Tesla Model 3 and S to get to 1/4 of what the domestic automakers sold a quarter century ago.

Check your math.

Ford alone has 15 models.for every model disappearing, another is taking its place.

3 hours ago, AGR said:

Keep in mind those numbers a bit inflated due to badge engineering of products at the time

Then

Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Caddy 

Ford/Mercury/Lincoln 

Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler 

Today:

Chevy/Buick/Caddy

Ford/Lincoln

Dodge/Chrysler

11 vs 7 of today

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

Check your math.

Ford alone has 15 models.for every model disappearing, another is taking its place.

Nope, my math is mostly fine.(I overcounted Ford by a couple I think) This thread is implicitly about cars, not crossovers, pickups, SUVs, minivans or commercial vans. I was bringing actual numbers to the conversation.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Keep in mind those numbers a bit inflated due to badge engineering of products at the time

Then

Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Caddy 

Ford/Mercury/Lincoln 

Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler 

Today:

Chevy/Buick/Caddy

Ford/Lincoln

Dodge/Chrysler

11 vs 7 of today

Of course, that was at the height of badge engineering. But you left off Geo, Saturn, and Eagle, so it's 14 then, 7 now.

List of model year 2020 passenger cars, U.S. market from U.S. domestic automakers.

2-door coupe/convertible

1. Chevrolet Camaro
  2. Chevrolet Corvette
  3. Ford Mustang

4-door sedan

1. Cadillac CT4
  2. Cadillac CT5
  3. Cadillac CT6
  4. Chevrolet Impala
  5. Chevrolet Malibu
  6. Chevrolet Sonic sedan
  7. Ford Fusion
  8. Tesla Model 3

5-door hatchback

1. Buick Regal Sportback
  2. Chevrolet Sonic hatchback
  3. Chevrolet Spark
  4. Tesla Model S

Wagon

1. Buick Regal TourX

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

List of model year 2020 passenger cars, U.S. market from U.S. domestic automakers.

2-door coupe/convertible

1. Chevrolet Camaro
  2. Chevrolet Corvette
  3. Ford Mustang

4-door sedan

1. Cadillac CT4
  2. Cadillac CT5
  3. Cadillac CT6
  4. Chevrolet Impala
  5. Chevrolet Malibu
  6. Chevrolet Sonic sedan
  7. Ford Fusion
  8. Tesla Model 3

5-door hatchback

1. Buick Regal Sportback
  2. Chevrolet Sonic hatchback
  3. Chevrolet Spark
  4. Tesla Model S

Wagon

1. Buick Regal TourX

Crazy to see how small the list is now. I guess the Tesla Model X is considered an SUV? I'd call it closer to a 5-door hatchback or wagon.

2 hours ago, SodiumMonkey said:

Crazy to see how small the list is now. I guess the Tesla Model X is considered an SUV? I'd call it closer to a 5-door hatchback or wagon.

Officially, EPA puts Tesla Model X in the "Standard Sport Utility Vehicle 4WD" category. But I agree with you SodiumMonkey sir, it's close to being a 5 door hatchback or wagon.

In my previous post, I forgot 2 additional models in the 4-door sedan category. Looks like both of these still live on for 2020 model year.

9. Lincoln Continental

10. Lincoln MKZ

I also don't know if FCA cars were omitted on purpose because of the euro ownership, but Charger Challenger and 300 would be three more.

I still kind of consider FCA's traditional brands American despite the foreign ownership and Fiat has done a good job preserving the "American-ness" of the brands.

12 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I also don't know if FCA cars were omitted on purpose because of the euro ownership

That's correct atomcat68 sir. List is all 2020 passenger cars that will be sold new in the U.S. by a U.S. headquartered automaker. Some of these cars are designed and built outside of the U.S. For example, both Buicks are designed, engineered, and built in Germany. Chevrolet Spark is designed, engineered, and built in Asia, mostly South Korea.

Of course, on the flip side foreign carmakers like FCA, Toyota, VW, etc. have cars designed, engineered, and built in the U.S. And those companies and their dealerships employ lots of Americans. But the list focuses on what the 3 major U.S. domestic automakers (GM, Ford, Tesla) have to offer that are cars, not light trucks.

35 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I also don't know if FCA cars were omitted on purpose because of the euro ownership, but Charger Challenger and 300 would be three more.

I still kind of consider FCA's traditional brands American despite the foreign ownership and Fiat has done a good job preserving the "American-ness" of the brands.

I still count Chrysler as American through a sort of grandfather clause.

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That's correct atomcat68 sir. List is all 2020 passenger cars that will be sold new in the U.S. by a U.S. headquartered automaker. Some of these cars are designed and built outside of the U.S. For example, both Buicks are designed, engineered, and built in Germany. Chevrolet Spark is designed, engineered, and built in Asia, mostly South Korea.

Of course, on the flip side foreign carmakers like FCA, Toyota, VW, etc. have cars designed, engineered, and built in the U.S. And those companies and their dealerships employ lots of Americans. But the list focuses on what the 3 major 2 major and 1 minor U.S. domestic automakers (GM, Ford, Tesla) have to offer that are cars, not light trucks.

fixed

On 8/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, AGR said:

Of course, that was at the height of badge engineering. But you left off Geo, Saturn, and Eagle, so it's 14 then, 7 now.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, silvrsvt said:

Just shows you how well they are remembered ?

Actually, Saturn for a few years in the 90s was making a big spash. I owned the original Saturn sedan and the buying and owning experience was first rate. But then GM smothered the brand ending its special characteristics, gimped its new product development, and it just became another Pontiac or Olds or whatever, with no particular purpose.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Actually, Saturn for a few years in the 90s was making a big spash. I owned the original Saturn sedan and the buying and owning experience was first rate. But then GM smothered the brand ending its special characteristics, gimped its new product development, and it just became another Pontiac or Olds or whatever, with no particular purpose.

That's because Saturn only made money for one year, from what I've read. The warm-and-fuzzy commercials and Tennessee "homecomings" were not enough to compensate for the continued losses racked up by Saturn.

Edited by grbeck

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

The Sky was one of my favorite GM vehicles. It could have easily become a Chevy.

I think that was a miss.

The Sky should have been a Saab and the 9-2x a Saturn. The 9-7 should have never existed.

Badge engineering can work if done within the brand character.

12 hours ago, akirby said:

Nothing wrong with Sky or Solstice except their sales were too low to support an expensive bespoke platform.

Miata has global volume to make it work.

Kappa platform with a reworked Sky or Solstice and relabeled as a Buick Cascada would have been a better option vs what Cascada is now....