Looks like GM is following Ford and FCA's lead...

silvrsvt

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Nothing wrong with Sky or Solstice except their sales were too low to support an expensive bespoke platform.

Miata has global volume to make it work.

And then again, C&D reported in a review that Mazda partnered with Fiat to develop the 124 along side of the Miata, because there was a chance of no business case for the Miata otherwise. So even at its sales volume, Miata could have also have been cancelled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

Kappa platform with a reworked Sky or Solstice and relabeled as a Buick Cascada would have been a better option vs what Cascada is now....

Cascada is dead now I believe (it’s a hit!). 

I still say Sky would have had a good cheby. 

Just now, sullynd said:

I still say Sky would have had a good cheby

Sure but that wouldn't have changed sales volume or the lack of a business case.

Makes you wonder how stuff like that got approved.   Did they overestimate projected sales volume and/or ATPs?   Or did they just not consider all that and just push it through because it was a cool car (wasn't Lutz in charge then)?

3 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I still say Sky would have had a good cheby. 

Historically there's always been a resistance within Chevy to having another model that 'threatens' Corvette.  For years Pontiac tried to move the Firebird more towards the vette and away from its association with the Camaro, but GM hierarchy would only allow Pontiac to go so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy had been offered Sky but said no thanks.

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

Sure but that wouldn't have changed sales volume or the lack of a business case.

Makes you wonder how stuff like that got approved.   Did they overestimate projected sales volume and/or ATPs?   Or did they just not consider all that and just push it through because it was a cool car (wasn't Lutz in charge then)?

I’m pretty sure it was a Lutz vanity project.  The Solstice was supposed to be parts bin as part of its pitch (the tail lights were from a GMC or something?). 

33 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I’m pretty sure it was a Lutz vanity project.  The Solstice was supposed to be parts bin as part of its pitch (the tail lights were from a GMC or something?). 

as per Wiki,,,,   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Solstice#Solstice_Coupe_(2009-2010)

Although i WOULD take a coupe if it showed-up in my garage,,,,,,

HRG

solstice parts bin.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The pre-bankruptcy 2000s were the era of the "Halo Vehicle" at GM (no doubt driven by Lutz). There was the Cadillac XLR, Chevrolet SSR, Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.

These vehicles were supposed to draw the curious to the showrooms of their respective parent brands. The hope was that these people would then buy a more mundane vehicle.

The real problem, of course, was that Halo Vehicles can't compensate for mediocre bread-and-butter offerings. The Saturn Sky, for example, couldn't hide the fact that regular Saturns weren't competitive with a contemporary Ford, let alone a Honda or a Toyota.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 630land said:

And, all these "enthusiasts" who went nuts over the Regal wagon, from Opel, never bought them.

The important thing is that Regal TourX is selling better than GM expected. Also, these buyers are the wealthiest of any Buick model. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/05/2019-buick-regal-tourx-sales/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

GM builds the ATS-V in China down the same line as other models, so it is possible that Buick might get a new Regal based on a slightly reskinned or even nose-tail rebadged  Chinese ATS-V or maybe they add a "Regal" as a variant of CT-5....
there are options.

Edited by jpd80