• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
edselford

2020 Explorer underbody frame rail covers?

I saw a group of 2020 Explorer vehicle’s on a vehicle delivery truck yesterday and got a very good look at the underside of these vehicles.

I noticed that there was a flexible black paper type cover on each side of the vehicles where you would normally find a frame rail!

Does anyone know what this is for ?

chassis design looks unitized but probably has side frame rails with top open directly welded to floor?? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

edselford

Thanks guys.  Interesting crossection.  Sure looks like a frame rail to me!

Does this mean the Explorer has a separate frame with body mounted on it or does this mean frame integrated with body??????

thanks

Edselford

On 8/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, MY93SHO said:

Unibody.  No separate frame.

That cutaway view certainly illustrates the fact that on modern unibody vehicles with modern crash standards the "no separate frame" description is clearly blurred. 😉

19 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

That cutaway view certainly illustrates the fact that on modern unibody vehicles with modern crash standards the "no separate frame" description is clearly blurred. 😉

You can't separate the two.  The body isn't bolted to a frame and the large frame members themselves don't make up 100% of the structural rigidity.  No it isn't like early unibody vehicles with small subframes on the front and rear with nothing in between, but they are nothing like body on frame trucks either.